Finally blew it up......

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Well my truck finally left me stranded and blown up on the side of the road..... Long story short, I was hauling horses today because as many of you may have seen on the news kirksville, ky (5 min from my hosue) got blown away by multiple tornadoes...... well some friends of mine have a walking horse stable and the barn got destroyed and horses needed to move outta there ASAP...... right so loaded with 6 horses I rolled out, dropped them off and on the way home, get on 75 northbound and out rolls the white smoke, I pulled over, oil was pouring out under the truck and a ton of smoke from under the hood..... got it towed and had someone pick up my trailer so we could get more horses......-cuss-cuss-cuss what a day.

in other notes, i'm putting out a help message, same guy who had the barn that blew away, his truck was parked there and it got DESTROYED, i'm gunna try and post pics of it tomorrow..... it's a 91 i think f350 xcab dually with the 7.3, motor and trans are good, trans was brand new bout 5k miles ago... He needs a rolling chassis for that motor n trans if ya'll know of one....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sam, so what's the autopsy of your engine gonna say, holes in the pistons? Have you thought about purchasing your friend's engine for your truck, and him keeping the near-new E4OD for the new truck he finds?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I don't want to sound too forward but My offer to slap a C in that bad girl is still up and standing although there is plenty of guys around Your area, just make a few minimeet's and problem solved.

It can be early 89-93 My personal favorite or go full power and put a 94-98, You'll be the fastest girl of the bloc :cool

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any loss of power when this happened? Seems a little odd for something to just "blow" like this. I almost wonder if the turbo or turbo oil line let go. The oil pouring under the truck really makes me wonder.

Does this truck have a RDT?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blown head gasket I'll bet or maybe the oil cooler let go. Still there is the possibility of a problem with the oil supply line going to the turbo. Does the engine still run or even turn? Any coolant in the oil or vice versa? Probably needs a built 6.9 or a Cummins swap, you have too much into it to just toss it... I'm sorry to hear it, I'm kinda far away but if there's anything I can do, I'd be glad to help.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I havent even looked at the truck since on the interstate yesterday, I stayed with my trailer and got more horses and didnt get home till 10pm. I was supposed to pick up a ranchhand bumper for the thing which I still need to do, but its in bowling green, cause someone already picked it up and paid for it for me I just need to bring the money and pick it up. There is oil all over the frame/transmission/downpipe/starter/crossover pipe/oil pan etc. It was running till I shut it off cause I thought it might catch on fire. I very much doubt I have the funds for a big C swap. As my truck sits right now..... it needs a whole drivers door assembly dealio (since yesterday you have to get out dukes of hazard style) 2 power window motors, possibly a clutch/slave cylinder/tranny rebuild, and the unknown engine problem. I'm screwed.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that you are stressing over this right now and working yourself to a melt down. First, try to relax a little. The fact that the truck was running is hopeful that the engine isn't totally destroyed. Maybe someone can come by and take a look at the truck for you.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Argh, if I were any closer I'd already be under the hood of her truck fixing and replacing stuff... Someone will jump in and help ya out, Sam, just give it a few days - do you have another vehicle to use in the mean time?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Actually I'm just tired of old ass vehicles that never effin run right to be honest. lol. I can drive my mom's truck for a bit as I have before. Part of me thinks taking a note out on a somewhat newer diesel would be better off than this. I just had bad luck is all. Even if it is *just* the turbo, thats a bear to do, as I did it last summer with some help (it was rebuilt in july 0f 08) Rebuild ran 350 bucks and then a few bucks for labor help, but it wasn't pouring oil out then it was just eating it. I'm bout to take my mom out fer some breakfast and go by the truckstop where I had em drop the truck and look at it for a minute..... we'll see..... grrrrrr.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
My shiny dime bet it's the oil cooler o-rings that let go.

Sorry to hear bout the string of bad luck Sam. Be thankful you and the horses are safe. Things can only get better from here.;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm just tired of old ass vehicles that never effin run right to be honest.

Of our seven, the newest truck in the yard is a 1991 ALL MECHANICAL Dodge/Cummins.(the wife's daily driver)

The truck I drive all over the USA is a 1985 ALL MECHANICAL Ford/Cummins.

I will put the reliability and longevity of either one of them against any brand-new truck, any day, anywhere.:backoff

You just need to regroup and re-assess.

When you fix something, fix it for the long haul.

Admittedly, it will seem time-consuming and expensive, but the cost is pennies compared to the thousands it costs to jump back in the rat-race, which is just where your government would prefer you be.

You are now possibly at a fork in the road, which actually is not a bad place to be.

Think about your truck and what you like about it, then write down all the major things you wish were different about it; for instance, you may have a regular-cab and all the time needing a four-door; maybe it's a SRW, when you would be better off with a DRW.

If your truck is definitely in need of an engine, then maybe you should search out an affordable/decent ALL MECHANICAL (as in no electronic/computer control)truck that fits your idea of a perfect truck, lay down the cash, and then methodically, week by week, make it into the best truck on the road.

Sitting out by the fence is a 1991 2WD DRW Dodge/Cummins, that I bought mostly for all the good expensive parts; it is drivable, yet it is in very rough shape (bodywise), slick tires, missing headlights, questionable brakes, etc., etc., and it is a million-mile truck.

I can take ten-percent of what it costs to own a shiny new truck and, in less than a year, make a better truck out of it than anything they can sell me new.;Sweet

Last edited: