Finally blew it up......

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed, he has some good points. Especially considering all the work Sam has done to her truck, with lift and stacks and intercooler and all, it will be much easier, faster, cheaper, and in the long run smart solution to juts reoair or replace the engine and the trans.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its tough when you need a vehicle NOW though and you don't have a lot of scratch to dump into a project. I was pretty fortunate with my truck cause it blew head gaskets when I still had insurance and tags on my old ranger and I could drive that around till I got the diesel fixed. It still drained my account dry and then some. I was putting crap on the credit card and begging Mom and Dad for a bit of extra help :/ I was so inexperienced and ignorant with these engines that I made some dumb mistakes that made matters worse.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like the engine is salvagable. If I didn't know any better, I would almost wonder of the valley pan blew out. If boost pressure gets into the crank case, all sorts of hell can break loose. A popped dipstick would be a clue for that.

I've never heard of oil cooler seals simply blowing out with no prior warning. Generally, O rings don't let go like that. Although just because I haven't seen it, doesn't make it impossible.

I wonder if this has anything do do with the block defect that sam patched with JB wield a little while ago.

Plenty of things to check without having to pull a single bolt.

It is encouraging that the engine did still run and idle before it was shut off.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its tough when you need a vehicle NOW though and you don't have a lot of scratch to dump into a project.

In that case, the country around here is full of older DRIVABLE diesel trucks, both Fords and Dodges; you can pick up an old beater 2WD automatic diesel for probably less than $800 that is road ready for just close to home.

I would buy a "SPARE" truck that was as close to the truck I intend to keep, especially engine-wise, and just keep it in decent enough shape to get me to the places I need to be, while I am fixing the good truck.

I have done exactly that, which is why there are seven trucks here, FOUR of them have identical 1st Gen. Cummins engines in them, three have the same 5-speed transmission, one headlight size fits every one of them, although three of them are DRW, every one of them shares the same wheel-bolt-pattern, PLUS all the trailers use these same wheels, every single one of them has a DANA rearend, I even have a spare complete ready to go engine on standby, not counting an entire 6.9 IDI engine/transmission that could also be used, etc. etc. you get the idea.

NO, I am not made out of money; I just grab up good bargains WHEN THEY ARE FOR SALE.

Having options keeps me from going into a panic whenever I end up "behind the eight-ball".

Often-times, people find themselves in situations that will force them to make not very well thought out decisions, just so they can go to work to be able to pay for those rash decisions.cookoo

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Sam, Sorry to hear about your truck troubles. It is especially hard when you are in the process of helping others out of their bad situation.

The best advice that I can give you right now is just sit back and take care of what you need to take care of in your life, which for right now is helping others that lost a whole lot more than you did with the storms, and let the truck sit. What comes around goes around, things will get taken care of and you will be Blessed because you are being a Blessing to others.

Hang in there, you will get the help you need with the truck! ;Sweet

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I'm soon to be selling a good running 7.3/ZF-5 as soon as I can afford a 12V Cummins.

Midnight rider, if you come across one of those $800 12V drivers, let me know. I'll slap a set of rings, mains and rod bearings in it, and toss it in the F-450. Then I can sell the powertrain out of the F-450 to buy a NV-5600, and I'll be set for life.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that somebody has a problem with a truck, can't say what's wrong with it, and 50% of the posts replying are of the "put a cummins in it" variety. What ever happened to trying to support someone, and get them back to where there were without a huge new set of problems, and expense, yet alone the grief caused by mulling over engine conversions and perhaps some sentimental attachement to what they had? Sam could find another truck for $600 to $800, drop another running IDI in it, and be back on the road with a bevy of spare parts still on-hand (probably that door and window motor problem fixed too), but even that is pre-mature given that her problem may be easily solved once we find out what the issue really is.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You are right, maybe what she needs most right now is to have that truck running. Seems to Me that engine has some problems that have not been addressed and the fix so far only covers the real problem. I remember there has been a line of oil issues with that engine already, that is why some suggested to replace the engine with a good running one and Me well I just got carried out and wanted to push the C swap some more but another engine IDI or what You like may be better than what is in there now and the cost the same.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Still not sure whats going on with the truck, did fire it up on sunday, it started and ran, which leads me to believe turbo? oil lines to the turbo? I'm not sure.... The turbo was rebuilt last summer so I'm at a loss, Could it still be head gaskets? or what? There is no oil leakage on the drivers side at all, passenger side is covered up..... checked the dip stick there is oil around it but there is oil everywhere so i dont know if it could be coming from there or not. there was no oil on the dipstick when I checked it....... so there we have it, i'm gunna try and flatbed it somewhere in the next few days. I'm driving my mom's truck fer now.......

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the coolant for oil and drain the oil and check for that "white" stuff. If not, get a pressure tester and test the cooling system. Smell coolant for any funky smells that could indicate exhaust. Before washing engine (in case it was the valley pan as said) take a good close look- diddo w/ the cooler area. Check your oil line AND return line to the turbo.

Do a step by step search for the cause... one thing at a time. I know your feeling .... been there w/ a bunch of different pieces of equipment. :eek:

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think I'd pull the oil fill cap with it running to see what kind of pressure it has in there too. Sounds like some diagnosing is in order and as was said, may not be anything too severe. You mentioned RDT and I'm wondering if a clog or if maybe it's not enough to handle the crankcase pressure, especially if the turbo is venting to the crankcase. Check and see if the crankcase oil look milky too, which is a sure sign of water.

Good luck, but I'm sure it will be figured out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly put some oil in it if your planning on trying to run it at all to see where it is leaking. This sounds like a serious case of PRTJ. :eek:

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ok lets get super simple things are getting a little complicated even for me lets start with the enitial problem oil leak pass. side
fill the oil all the way up even over fill a bit run it and just trace down the leak
hope this helps because this is what id do first
good luck sam