Finally blew it up......

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have a look at the oil supply for the turbo? How bout the oil pressure sender? Leaking that much oil all of a sudden may be as simple as a hole in the turbo's oil supply line or the oil sender backing out of it's threads. It's seems that something external is spewing oil all over the passenger's side. There is not a ton of things that can spray that much oil in such a short period of time.

Heath

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HEATH may very well have nailed it, especially if you have a mechanical oil-pressure gauge.

It is very possible that the tiny plastic sender-tube has vibrated itself in two, or simply gotten smashed, then given it up.

On mechanical oil- and fuel-pressure gauge lines, I always install a stainless 1/8-NPT ball-valve in the sender-port, then attach any tubing, snubbers, etc. into that valve.

With the valve, should the sender-tube fail, all that needs be done is shut OFF the valve.;Sweet

Of course, if you don't have a mechanical oil-pressure gauge, I am just wasting ink.LOL

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Did you have a look at the oil supply for the turbo? How bout the oil pressure sender? Leaking that much oil all of a sudden may be as simple as a hole in the turbo's oil supply line or the oil sender backing out of it's threads. It's seems that something external is spewing oil all over the passenger's side. There is not a ton of things that can spray that much oil in such a short period of time.

Heath

I stopped by & looked at the truck on my way back from TS. It's an oil well on 4 wheels. Everything is soaked in oil, seems that most of it is coming from under the turbo. I didn't have time or I would have tore it apart. I heard it run & no knocking or rods out the block. Didn't really seem to leak oil ideling for a min but then again there was no load on the engine.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gare, you say oil under the turbo - think tis possible the pedestal seal let go again? I know Sam replaced that when she had her turbo rebuilt, so it should be all good, but still, there ain't that many things to leak oil in that area, and that pedestal would be my #1 suspect - either that oil seal on top of it, or the rubber grommet at the bottom where it goes in the valley pan.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well at least it runs without a knock andsomebody is going forwards with this.... I wouldn't run it without first refilling the crankcase to min level. No sense rining a good motor over a few quarts of oil. Maybe get it t the rally somehow and the collective will fix it.....:dunno Howfar from the rally is the truck... Maybe a road trip from the rally will help....:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very close to the rally yes. I don't know if she can wait that long but if she can I doubt the brotherhood will allow that truck to stay broken.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Maybe someone already said this but if it is leaking from under the turbo, maybe it is the pedestal for the oil pressure sending unit, those can get loose in a hurry and that would explain the major leak while assuming everything was set right on the turbo, if not then the turbo feed can spray oil fast too. Glad to hear the engine is still good, I'm sure the guys will look a that truck on July ;Sweet.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I've been following this thread, but haven't put any input into until now. I would look at the turbo seals or however the oil drains back to the crackcase. What turbo model is it? I know when the return hose from the turbo to the valley pan went on my ATS 085, it poured oil all over the place. I think since it's all down the passenger side, the oil cooler can be ruled out (at least for now). It's gotta be something that went either in the oil pressure sender, turbo, or lines at both.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trick now will be to get it cleaned off to the point where somebody could work on it and have an inkling of where the leak is eminating from.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
My couple pennies is going with checking anything pressure related first (after topping off the oil) :D

That much hemmoriging points to either a supply/pressure port/line...if those are intact....look at the drain line--if yours goes back to the valve cover---or the valley pan rubber bung plug.

Care and caution is in order if any plans on pressure washing!......if that bung is shot, water will drain into the lifter valley and give a false positive of a bad head/head gasket/cooler seals so please be careful!

No sense in creating a wild goose chase ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say its gotta be that valley pan grommet or the oil supply line. I think the Factory ATS turbo returns oil through the pedestal like my 088 does. I'd be for cleaning things up (very carefully as geo points out) and then pulling the turbo and making sure its OK, probably replace the turbo feed line with a nice braided steel hose and appropriate hydraulic fittings and a new grommet, I know these were becoming hard to get from Ford but someone found a source of correct parts if I'm not mistaken. Good luck Sam and keep us posted!

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
its an 085 turbo (i think). I havent seen the truck since sunday honestly, it's still at the truckstop..... Haven't got out of work earlier enough to get it picked up. Theres too much dang oil to tell where it's leaking from right now, and I don't have the know how to get it fixed without some money going into it. It could be the VP grommett even though I had that fixed too. The oil leaks as soon as it gets warm, when it's cold the oil is thick and keeps it sealed but as soon as it gets warm and a lil thin it pours out..... If it was a line I wouldn't know where to start, I can pull it apart but not put it back together correctly, lol, that turbo's easy to get off but has to be put back on purty good or it leaks...... I dunno what else to say at the momentee..... sorta just at a stale-mate....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
its an 085 turbo (i think). I havent seen the truck since sunday honestly, it's still at the truckstop..... Haven't got out of work earlier enough to get it picked up. Theres too much dang oil to tell where it's leaking from right now, and I don't have the know how to get it fixed without some money going into it. It could be the VP grommett even though I had that fixed too. The oil leaks as soon as it gets warm, when it's cold the oil is thick and keeps it sealed but as soon as it gets warm and a lil thin it pours out..... If it was a line I wouldn't know where to start, I can pull it apart but not put it back together correctly, lol, that turbo's easy to get off but has to be put back on purty good or it leaks...... I dunno what else to say at the momentee..... sorta just at a stale-mate....

To make chasing the source easier, go to napa or chase down a snap on truck and get some UV leak dye that is for the OIL ( they make UV leak detecting dye for OIL just like the stuff used in AC systems, but it is specific for use in oil ) and pickup a UV light and safety glasses set ( they have those on sale right now at all the parts stores with the AC stuff) and run it a little, it won't take long, then go over it with that UV light and the leak trail will glow bright yellow right to the source. Takes all of the guess work out of it. I know there are a number of cheaper ways to do this, but none show up as positively, and when you are having trouble seeing in the first place , you don't need to be monkeying around with the homegrown methods.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score

If it is the 085, then I have a little better idea of what it "should" look like. Mine has the oil supply line tapped in where the factory oil pressure sender is (back of block) and has a steel braided line that goes up towards the top of the turbo (on the front side). There is a 5/8" hose that drains oil back to the cranckcase that comes off the bottom and runs to the valley pan. Check the return hose at the turbo and at the valley pan. Mine slipped off the turbo and made one heck of a mess all over the engine (especially since I didn't "find" the leak until 20 miles of driving with the turbo spooling... :eek:). I lost about 3 quarts of oil in that 20 miles, which was enough to make the oil level "disappear" off the dipstick.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if the leak was "pressure" related, wouldn't it leak whenever the engine is running (either hot or cold)?