Exhaust Diameter ?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas hope everyone has been doing well!
I recently purchased an ATS 088 turbo kit and plan on starting the installation process as soon as it comes back from typ4. My truck currently has an aftermarket 3 inch exhaust with a magna flow muffler. Will this be sufficient with the added exhaust pressures that a turbo adds? I am new to turbos and am all ears ;Really. And if I decide to "straight pipe" exhaust and eliminate muffler, will the turbo help reduce exhaust noise? Feel free to post what type of exhaust setup you are running and how it's working for you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Merry Xmas!

Ian

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the magnaflow straight-thru? 3" is just fine.

The turbo will quiet things down a tad. In some areas they count as sound control devices.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if the muffler is straight thru. I am thinking it isn't because it looks similar to a flow master design

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is an 89 F350 7.3 ATS 093 with 3" DP. Currently running a 4" stainless steel (Diamond Eye) with 3" down pipe. The whole system was designed for 1999 & up 7.3 however everything fit my 89 f350 just fine. Only mod was the DP. Nice deep tone (I'm running the supplied muffler, which is a straight thru design).

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
details in my sig i believe but here ya go.....ATS full 3" dp to 3-1/2" pipe. Walker 21470 big-truck muffler (straight thru design). turn down right in front of axle.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck currently has an aftermarket 3 inch exhaust with a magna flow muffler. Will this be sufficient with the added exhaust pressures that a turbo adds? I am new to turbos and am all ears ;Really. And if I decide to "straight pipe" exhaust and eliminate muffler, will the turbo help reduce exhaust noise? Feel free to post what type of exhaust setup you are running and how it's working for you.
It's been said on this board that any exhaust size larger than 3" is overkill for a 6.9L/7.3L IDI. You can go bigger if you want the sound, but it isn't really necessary per se.

I don't know anything about the Magnaflow muffler, but IMHO a muffler isn't necessary. A turbo does quiet the exhaust down compared to a naturally aspirated engine...I have a 3" straight pipe with an ATS 088, and if I'm gentle on the throttle, it isn't really louder than the truck was when naturally aspirated with the stock muffler installed. With that said, if I go more than maybe 1/3 throttle, it's noticeably louder, and if I'm over 2/3 throttle, it's probably loud enough to get Smokey Bear's attention (although it's still pretty quiet in the cab unless I have the windows down :angel: )...

FWIW...welcome to the turbo club :sly ;Sweet

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it looks like a chambered flowmaster, ditch it. Chambered designs accumulate gobs of soot/carbon and jack up flow for diesels. Magnaflow does make bullet style straight thru mufflers (5" on my 6.4) so double check before scrapping it.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Wow, this thread came up at the perfect time! Very soon I will be recieving my turbo kit and was thinkin about running a 3.5" to 4" straight pipe exhaust.... My question to you all is if I had a 3.5" exhaust with a tip that opened up to 4" to 4.5" would that cause to much tumbling of the exhaust gases? Same thing goes for the 4" with a 5" outlet tip. The only tips I can find are 3.5"inlet to 4"-4.5" outlet and 4" inlet to 5" outlet. So I will either be going with a 3.5" or 4", what should I do? What effects will this have on the exhaust gases?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good information. Thanks for the replies. With my c6 trans, truck does make plenty of noise going down the highway. Wondering if a 4 inch straight pipe would get rid of the "crackling" sound that these engines tend to make when under a load. If I do go with a straight pipe, I might just have it dump out the passenger side in front of the rear wheel. Not sure if that would be insanely loud or not with that type of setup :dunno.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You can definitely hear it in the cab, but it isn't too loud imo.
I don't have a good video of it.

This is dumped right out of the 3" dp, right under the seat. Had to wear earplugs on long trips but the turbo sounded awesome.
http://youtu.be/Jpi98Yydlwo

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, this thread came up at the perfect time! Very soon I will be recieving my turbo kit and was thinkin about running a 3.5" to 4" straight pipe exhaust.... My question to you all is if I had a 3.5" exhaust with a tip that opened up to 4" to 4.5" would that cause to much tumbling of the exhaust gases? Same thing goes for the 4" with a 5" outlet tip. The only tips I can find are 3.5"inlet to 4"-4.5" outlet and 4" inlet to 5" outlet. So I will either be going with a 3.5" or 4", what should I do? What effects will this have on the exhaust gases?

None. Do whatever you feel like. Anything over 3 or 3-1/2" is not doing much. No need for backpressure in a diesel, nor anything else fancy. Just stick a chunk of pipe on there and go.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering if a 4 inch straight pipe would get rid of the "crackling" sound that these engines tend to make when under a load. If I do go with a straight pipe, I might just have it dump out the passenger side in front of the rear wheel. Not sure if that would be insanely loud or not with that type of setup :dunno.
I've been around a couple of trucks with 4" systems, and they still have that crackling sound you're talking about. I saw a truck that had a 5" system that exited in front of the rear wheel with a Hypermax turbo...the wheel was all sooted up, but no crackle sound...it just sounded like a freight train ;Sweet

I intend to do a 5" system someday...not because there's any real benefit, but because, like you, I'm not a fan of the crackling sound and I hope the 5" system will make it go away...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhn-Ol3IL6E

This is the best example I could find that explains that "crackle" sound from exhaust. I don't really care for it. Others do. Just a personal preference I guess.
89Laredo, your truck sounds good. Thanks for the vid
A question about 5 inch exhaust pipe. Do most performance muffler shops carry that in stock? Don't think it would cost that much to put a 5 inch straight pipe and have it dump out in front of rear wheel but I wouldn't know.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is dumped right out of the 3" dp, right under the seat. Had to wear earplugs on long trips but the turbo sounded awesome.
BOY, that brings back memories! I ran my truck with just the downpipe for about 4 years :shocked: Here's a video of my truck from that time, along with a friend's (now totalled) '91 Dodge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UoB-tW5B44

This is the best example I could find that explains that "crackle" sound from exhaust. I don't really care for it. Others do. Just a personal preference I guess.
I admit that I like the sound when you're decelerating...almost sounds like there's a Jake Brake on the truck :D but, yeah, on acceleration, it sounds too much like a g@$$er with glasspacks to me. I'd rather just plain have a rumble/turbo whistle...which, as I noted before, seems like it can only be achieved on an IDI with a 5" setup.

A question about 5 inch exhaust pipe. Do most performance muffler shops carry that in stock? Don't think it would cost that much to put a 5 inch straight pipe and have it dump out in front of rear wheel but I wouldn't know.
I don't know about whether they have that pipe sitting around...for what it's worth, there IS a 5" exhaust system available for OBS PSD trucks that can be used on ours. Just get the cat-back setup, then get a piece of pipe to connect from our downpipe to the system: https://www.toxicdiesel.com/p-1101-...owerstroke-5-cat-back-exhaust-aluminized.aspx ...I'm planning to do this when finances allow ;Sweet