Exhaust Diameter ?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about whether they have that pipe sitting around...for what it's worth, there IS a 5" exhaust system available for OBS PSD trucks that can be used on ours. Just get the cat-back setup, then get a piece of pipe to connect from our downpipe to the system: https://www.toxicdiesel.com/p-1101-...owerstroke-5-cat-back-exhaust-aluminized.aspx ...I'm planning to do this when finances allow ;Sweet[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. The more I look at that setup, the more I am thinking my truck needs that :sly.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Truck pro would have that size pipe.
Sometimes bumper to bumper and napa will also.
Definitely not at orielly or autozone.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called a local performance muffler shop in Stockton this morning. They said that they could install a 5 inch exhaust system for $325 which includes parts and labor. Might go with that option once turbo is installed and ready to drive to shop.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So a 4" straight pipe exhaust with a 5" tip won't cause any exhaust gas tumbling which would result is some "excess" backpressure?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a 4" straight pipe exhaust with a 5" tip won't cause any exhaust gas tumbling which would result is some "excess" backpressure?

No... as long as you go same size or larger from front to back without any goofy 90* restrictive pinch bends, it'll be fine. There is a science to scavenging with ultra high performance gassers, but that school of thought doesn't apply here.

The tip hardly has an affect on the overall system performance, as long as it's the same size or larger than the piping.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Tried getting a video of what my side pipe sounds like in the cab but it didnt work too good. Stripped interior = lots of wind noise and road noise.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
IMO whatever size the turbo outlet is is what your exhaust should be... So 3" downpipe means 3" exhaust. Exhaust after the rurbo the gas only gets cooler which means more dense, which means larger offers no benefit. Basically you're looking at 3"-3.5" is the range of ideal for these engines. I have a turbo and 3" pipe dumping behind the cab, it's not loud or obnoxious. Slight drone on highway but that's because it's a C6, drop 500+ RPM or exit the rear or side and it'd be fine. My plans include a ZF5 and exhaust out the side in front of tire so it'll be much quieter then. But seriously, turbo trucks don't need mufflers it's not loud unless you're on the floor and even then it's not loud like a straight pipe or glass pack gas truck.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see...ya gotta figure out what you need. then figure out what you want. then if those two are different, then ya gotta decide which option you're gonna go with LOL

usually for me, its the latter option......

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got truck down to muffler shop this week. They tried installing a 5 inch system but owner was afraid the large piping would rattle in a few places underneath truck due to clearance issues. So we went with a 4 inch straight pipe system with 6 inch tip. Had to take truck back into shop today to have them fix a minor rattle and exhaust leak and should get it back tomorrow morning. 209 Muffler in Stockton does amazing work and I would highly recommend them to anybody needing custom exhaust work done to their vehicle.
Drove truck for the first time with new exhaust and turbo yesterday. All I have to say is WOW. Truck feels like a different animal. I would like to say thanks to typ4 for the awesome ats 088 rebuild and installation support. I would also like to thank Mel for the stellar baby moose IP. And lastly, I would like to again thank Brian for providing me with a spare 6.9 engine when I was in need of a cylinder head. I am very glad I went with the turbo......even though it was a royal pain to get it fitted properly ;Sweet.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man. i wish i woulda seen this sooner. i coulda saved you some coin!
i did a 3" DP on mine, used a set of 1/2" collector flanges from the down pipe to 4" straight pipe
dumped before the rear wheel. cost me 150 in parts, took me an hr to weld up. no fancy chrome tip tho lol
next time youre at pick n pull, see if they have any crew cabs 87-91!!!
im looking for a straight passenger rear door!

when i get my rear suspension dialed, were gonna have to run em' :D

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see...ya gotta figure out what you need. then figure out what you want. then if those two are different, then ya gotta decide which option you're gonna go with LOL

usually for me, its the latter option......

Words to live by!

Cue the music: " You got to know when to hold 'em..."

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man. i wish i woulda seen this sooner. i coulda saved you some coin!
i did a 3" DP on mine, used a set of 1/2" collector flanges from the down pipe to 4" straight pipe
dumped before the rear wheel. cost me 150 in parts, took me an hr to weld up. no fancy chrome tip tho lol
next time youre at pick n pull, see if they have any crew cabs 87-91!!!
im looking for a straight passenger rear door!

when i get my rear suspension dialed, were gonna have to run em' :D

Brian,

When I was in the process of installing turbo, I soon found out that the exhaust hardware that came with my kit was custom made by someone in the past. Pipes were jointed together using springs and collector pipe is not cast iron.....so long story short, nothing fit properly. I think it was custom made for a 6.9 idi pickup with the t-19 transmission....so of course I ran into clearance problems with firewall and transmission. It was much easier to have the muffler shop fix those problems because I was done with it at that point :mad: lol. They had to start from scratch and make a new down pipe and brackets to keep everything nice and tight. I am very pleased with the work they have done to it.
When I get a chance, I will try to swing by the local pick n pull and see if they got a door for you.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there isnt a more fulfilling mod on an IDI that ive done to date thats better than a nice exhaust system, besides a ZF5.

dont go out of your way, im not in too big of a hurry. she wont be painted until spring neways.

glad shes back up n running!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I need to install an exhaust system to pass inspection here. Unlike some I want to get it done as cheaply as possible. I have a welder who can attach it and weld hangers on, but where can I get the most effective system cheap? I already bought the PSD DP and installed that back when I had money so I need 3"? back. Now I just need it done. Do I need a muffler to pass inspection or just pipe? I don't have emissions inspection in the county I live in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online