Dump deck build.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Soooo....We tried the hoist last night - wouldn't go up past the first stage...:dunno.....After some diagnosis and cursing-cuss I had to take the power pack out and apart today....I found what I expected to see - the suction tube was facing sideways instead of pointing to the bottom of the tank,:rolleyes:....All is fixed and hopefully it will go ALL the way up later tonight....:rotflmao....I should get some pics of the truck tommorow or Wednesday once the paint is done.;Sweet....I made a trip to the junkyard today too and I pulled the reman IP I had on the cubevan...Looks very new - the nuts holding it on were replaced and still shiny too.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Looking good. How much capacity does your PP have doesn't look like enough for a cylinder that big
Exactly what I was thinkin.
You could install a PTO driven pump onto your 5spd. I have a 1 year old Chelsea PTO that was just taken off my S-1600:D
More work and cost but a MUCH better and faster system.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I drove an F550 with this same kinda setup. It had a remote control (hard wired with 35 feet of wire) so you could exit the truck, walk to the tailboard and watch the bed go up. It was great for low height clearance areas, you could raise the bed without guestimating your clearance between phone wires, overhangs, ceilings....

It wasn't as fast as a PTO, but it did the job just fine. The only thing was it was SLOW AS HELL coming down, but it as an all aluminum body with NO weight....Bigrig's body has some weight to it, so coming down shouldn't be slow at all!

Plus if the customer ordered something and it was in a tricky spot...you just gout out, raised the body and if she went over, no one got hurt. The boss would be pissed if you brought a load back because it was too dangerous to dump...you wouldn't believe the places thy had us put tandem and tractor trailer dump trucks!!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The hoist is a Mailhot, it only takes 2.0 gallons at max lift....The PP lifts it no problem....I have a Muncie PTO and pump on my truck now but I want to take it off and go through them first before I use them as I found some rusty hydraulic fluid in the old hoses when I stripped the truck down....Everything is there right down to the PTO pull cable and light on the dash. This PP will due the trick for now, it's not like it will get used a lot anyways - persnonal use for the most part. I can raise/dump the body with the toggle switch in the dash or I can raise/lower it with the handle in the side box - this PP has a manual override for the lower function so that's a bonus if there should be an electrical issue.;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here's some pics, more finish work to do like paint, undercoating, securing wiring and etc but alteast it goes up all the way now...:sly

You must be registered for see images attach

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! What do you plan to undercoat with? I've never seen a dump cylinder setup like that on a 1 ton before, at least not around here. That's something a lot of the bigger trucks have. Most 1 tons have the scissor lift or the cylinder mounted underneath like mine. Looks like yours has better leverage that way.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
We see lots of 1-tons done this way around here, works good. I'm going to scrap the loose stuff off the deck and spray it will some black dripless oil undercoating I bought at Carquest.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I will need a place to live if I start another project like this one...LOL....My next truck build will have my big "C" 12V under the hood.:sly