Dropping Tanks in California

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After having fuel system issues this week, I'm considering dropping the tanks and cleaning them out as well as replacing the pickup units in the tanks.

Was wondering if it would be a good idea to replace the fuel lines (supply and return), where I can get them, and about how much they will cost.

Also looking for someone who may have a place I could do the job... who would be willing to assist for beer.

I have a feeling that 15 years of gunk in the tanks, broken pickups, and bad fuel lines may finally be taking their toll.

I'm afraid to dump biocide into the tanks because of the near certainty of some gunk breaking off and causing another stall/no start issue in the middle of busy traffic.

Thanks,
Mike

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken a look at an '85+ fuel system, so pardon the dumb question...are plastic fuel lines used all the way from the tank to the lift pump, or are there short lengths of rubber line at the fuel tanks and at the lift pump to make the connections? If yes, I'm guessing that you're wanting to replace the rubber lines. I don't know if the plastic lines are even sold...?

'83 and '84 trucks still used metal lines with rubber hoses at the various fittings, and in a weird coincidence, both the truck and my old 6.9l-powered E-350 were '84's; this is why I'm unfamiliar with the later setup.

I may be too far away, but depending on timing and what "the boss" says, if you want, my driveway may be available. I'd be happy to help (I'm a ********* that way ;))...I'm about 15 minutes north of San Jose on the 101...

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I've never messed with the fuel lines but I would think all of your crud is in the tanks. With fuel moving through those lines I wouldn't think anything would collect there. I'm thinking the problem sits at the bottom of each tank. But I'm no expert so...????

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by troutwest66
I've never messed with the fuel lines but I would think all of your crud is in the tanks. With fuel moving through those lines I wouldn't think anything would collect there. I'm thinking the problem sits at the bottom of each tank. But I'm no expert so...????

Makes sense.... Biggest issue with the lines is air leak potential. These things have been on here awhlie. LOL I know the truck is sucking air from somewhere. The caps and lines under the hood are just over a year old.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mikes91
Makes sense.... Biggest issue with the lines is air leak potential. These things have been on here awhlie. LOL I know the truck is sucking air from somewhere. The caps and lines under the hood are just over a year old.

I just replacd the tank on my 93 and it was as clean as a new one but if you have algea you probaly won't be able to get rid of all of it with out using biocide:sorry:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Warden
I haven't taken a look at an '85+ fuel system, so pardon the dumb question...are plastic fuel lines used all the way from the tank to the lift pump, or are there short lengths of rubber line at the fuel tanks and at the lift pump to make the connections? If yes, I'm guessing that you're wanting to replace the rubber lines. I don't know if the plastic lines are even sold...?

'83 and '84 trucks still used metal lines with rubber hoses at the various fittings, and in a weird coincidence, both the truck and my old 6.9l-powered E-350 were '84's; this is why I'm unfamiliar with the later setup.

I may be too far away, but depending on timing and what "the boss" says, if you want, my driveway may be available. I'd be happy to help (I'm a ********* that way ;))...I'm about 15 minutes north of San Jose on the 101...

Thanks, Warden. I'm going to drive her a little and see how she does. :) This summer is the next time we have break, so the job may have to wait till then. I'll let you know.

Thank you again,
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online