d60 dually questions

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a search for true bolt-on DRW adapters/extenders, don't forget that Dodge used them on 4x4 DRWs on many year-models. ;Really
I was thinking about that too, but I don't know if the Dodge hub extenders will fit over the Ford locking hubs. Our yard truck is an '87 W350 with a D60 and it has the dually-specific hubs that look much like those posted in that picture, but the locking hubs are those Selectro monsters are stick out of the wheel, unlike the Ford locking hubs that kinda sit flush in the wheel hubs - I know that later model Dodges with the hub extenders don't even have manual locking hubs, so I have no idea how much clearance there is inside the extender...

soooo, these are not the removable dually adapters? cause that is exactly what he has. so what you are saying LCAM-01XA is to just use the d50 stuff? ya'll got me cornfused
The factory removable hub extenders look much like the AA4 aftermarket dually adapters, if you pull the wheel off a truck that has them you'll see there is another set of lugnuts that bolts the adapter to the SRW hub and rotor, then the adapter itself has its own set of studs and lugnuts for the wheel to go on them. With the D50 front suspension the easiest way to convert to a dually is to find a pair of these hub extenders and literally bolt them in place of your single wheels, then bolt your dually wheels to them. The other option is to find those dually-specific wheel hubs shown in that picture, with them you'll have to take the locking hubs apart and swap the dually wheel hub onto your D50 spindles, you may also have to transfer rotors between your old SRW wheel hubs and your new dually-specific wheel hubs as they both have the rotor attach to their back side (held in place by the wheel studs in SRW application and by a set of bolts in the dually-specific setup).

Now, did that make more sense, or the muck just got deeper? :eek:

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about that too, but I don't know if the Dodge hub extenders will fit over the Ford locking hubs. Our yard truck is an '87 W350 with a D60 and it has the dually-specific hubs that look much like those posted in that picture, but the locking hubs are those Selectro monsters are stick out of the wheel, unlike the Ford locking hubs that kinda sit flush in the wheel hubs - I know that later model Dodges with the hub extenders don't even have manual locking hubs, so I have no idea how much clearance there is inside the extender...

The factory removable hub extenders look much like the AA4 aftermarket dually adapters, if you pull the wheel off a truck that has them you'll see there is another set of lugnuts that bolts the adapter to the SRW hub and rotor, then the adapter itself has its own set of studs and lugnuts for the wheel to go on them. With the D50 front suspension the easiest way to convert to a dually is to find a pair of these hub extenders and literally bolt them in place of your single wheels, then bolt your dually wheels to them. The other option is to find those dually-specific wheel hubs shown in that picture, with them you'll have to take the locking hubs apart and swap the dually wheel hub onto your D50 spindles, you may also have to transfer rotors between your old SRW wheel hubs and your new dually-specific wheel hubs as they both have the rotor attach to their back side (held in place by the wheel studs in SRW application and by a set of bolts in the dually-specific setup).

Now, did that make more sense, or the muck just got deeper? :eek:

ya it made more sence. cept it was backward to what we are trying to do. he bought a 60 exactly like the one in the pic, and wants to replace his d50 ttb with the 60, but wants to stay single wheel.

so, what you are saying is d50 hub assy and rotor on d60 with the d60 cailipers?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Provided the D50 and 60 are of the same brake style, all of the hardware(calipers, rotors, hubs, wheel bearings) are the same.
The 95-97 D50 and D60 use a bolt on caliper, and a larger diameter rotor than the older stuff.
I haven't looked at trying to put the 95+ stuff onto a kingpin axle yet, but on a 92-94 balljoint axle, it won't happen.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Provided the D50 and 60 are of the same brake style, all of the hardware(calipers, rotors, hubs, wheel bearings) are the same.
The 95-97 D50 and D60 use a bolt on caliper, and a larger diameter rotor than the older stuff.
I haven't looked at trying to put the 95+ stuff onto a kingpin axle yet, but on a 92-94 balljoint axle, it won't happen.

you guys are starting to confuse me again. axle is exactly the same as the one in this pic http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/669448/original/dsc_7592.jpg the truck we are trying to put it in is a 97 powerstroke with a d50 front. is that stuff compatible?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
That looks to me like a ball joint style D60 with bolt on calipers.

The easiest way to install this is to unbolt the D50 springs, pivot brackets, steering linkage at the pitman arm and un hook the brake hoses at the caliper. Yank all the D50 hardware out from under the truck and clean everything up.

Check to make sure that the F350 springs on the D60 have good bushings, the U bolts are in good shape and that the track bar has good bushings. Roll that under the truck and put the spring bolts back in. You will be putting the D60 AND F350 front springs in at the same time.

Then the track bar will bolt up to the spot where the D50 pivot bracket was.

Hook up your brake lines, bleed the system out and enjoy.

The F350's also had 4" lift blocks in the rear, you might want to grab a pair of them too to replace teh factory @" blocks in the F250's

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle in the picture looks to be of the bolt on caliper 95+ variety.
If the axle you're working with is identical, all of the brake stuff from the 97 will work on it.
If it's a 92-94 axle with the old pinned in calipers, you'll be able to use the hubs, but, you'll have to use the rotors and calipers from the axle, if the dually rotors are compatible with the SRW hub, I can't remember if the hole for the bolt that holds them on is the same size as the studs.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks that was what i was looking for.

ge, that was not my pic, just looks exactly the same as his axle minus all that corrosion and stuff. he is going with a sky's kit and taller springs. he wants a big truck, with tires in the neighborhood of 40" tires. he has a dually to tow with.