SRW to DRW

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Good morning fellas,
Was curious what all is needed to convert a 1990 f350 4x4 to a dually. My front axle is a 1988 king pin Dana 60.
Searching, I can find tons of threads about DRW to SRW conversion, but not the other way around, plus there's conflicting info if you need hubs or if there's just wheel adapters.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the the front axle, you will need just the drw hubs. I did not get them with mine, the prior owner was a sticler on cost and was the only way to get some off. I am using the hubs off a d50 to get srw and ball joint d60 ones for the obs should work, not sure on gm or dodge having the same spindle and the sd got disposable hubs.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Right on, glad the front axle is easy enough to swap. What about the rear axle? Or just drop some dually rims on it and call it a day?

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on, glad the front axle is easy enough to swap. What about the rear axle? Or just drop some dually rims on it and call it a day?

Rear axle is wider for a drw dulley and a cab chassy drw is a narrow frame, so springs are more inboard. You might get away with 2-2-1/2 spacers, but would recomend steel one if you go that route. Im not sure on space to leafs for drw wheels to fit but you could set one in place to see space needed. Also 2wd drw dulley vershion might be found at a local yard to get one to swap, since is same spring width but you are more likely to find cab chassys that wont work.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
If you dont mind welding perches on new spots, the Dana 70 from an e350 cube van is a similar width as the drw pickup.

I dont like rear dually spacers if increased payload is the objective. They add to the leverage on the hub bearings and spindle.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
From what I'm reading, drw Truck and bed combos frames are the same, drw cab and chassis have narrower frames.
There's currently a '93 f350 drw at the wrecker, I could take a peek at it.. But it's at the yard I hate going to... Photo shows the bed off. Or service box already off.. Who know.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Front dually spacers i can get behind. Thats OEM on newer trucks. The spacer and the dually-offset wheel cancel each other out for no adverse effects on the wheel bearings.

Edit: frame pics? I can spot the difference usually

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@u2slow the photo on row52 isn't the best, it's just the front of the truck mostly.

You must be registered for see images attach

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Darn... nothing to go on there.

If you can get the vin, it should indicate pickup or "incomplete vehicle" (c&c). Or you can run it by a ford dealer for a full breakdown.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious why do you guys want to touch the front axle? Generally ford does wide track front hubs on duallys technically because it decreases turning radius and also visuals. But that’s not a must. Just roll on a non-c&c axle under the back. Swap beds and swap leaf’s and hangers. If you’re unsure about cc vs non measure.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about using a c&c dually axle and moving the leaf spring perches inside the frame. Having drw fit under a SRW bed. This was done on GM c&c trucks in the 70s maybe into the 80s. Also done on custom stuff.

@chillman88 didnt like the idea lol. He’s lucky I have the bronco and demo derby projects to keep the welder busy.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The inner duals on a c&c wont clear the inner pickup fenders. There is also not enough space between c&c axle's drums to fit the pickup spring spacing.

Chevy didnt change the spring spacing or frame width from 1ton pickup vs c&c thru '87 (40" perches, 34" frame). With enough suspension height or small tires, the inner duals would end up under the bed.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@u2slow they did in fact have the Vin listed, that's assuming they typed it up correctly.
2FDJF37G2PCA19865

I was also under the impression that changing the front hubs to match the duals spacing was also for better tracking? If it's not necessary , I'm already used to driving a truck that has a turn radius of an average football field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online