Coolant is Black as OIL.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Haha YES. Was it you David who already linked me to that? I have it saved. Thank-you. and yes it calls for Standard Torque.
5/16 - 15ft.lb
3/8 - 24ft.lb

So i guess.. I will do them to 24 :) thanks guys.. I hope it seals good, these ones went on CLEAN as could ever possibly be without aid of a clean room :sly

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably was me. I have been a little out of wack the last few days. Hot weather, lots of work and not enough sleep.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Hot weather, too much work and not enough sleep is a bad combo! lol

thanks for the manual David, will help me out a lot. Well, wish me luck.. I am going outside to put the oil in her and start it up and PRAY to the lord above that it does not leak..

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Tightened up the cooler bolts..and got all that back together..

However i fear i have not put in enough oil, i added what i took out and then i added 4 more litres.. but after a 15-20 min trip the stock guage shows 0 psi and it is knocking.. dip stick also shows none.. so i will have to get some more oil before running anything.. as i was checking the dipstick i got some STUPID ASS idea to open the rad cap and check the colour of that too... what in the hell was i thinking!?!?!?!!?!? it exploded right in my face and I sat in emerg for 5 hours :( 1st degree burns all over the right side of my face and my right hand.... Lesson i didn't want to learn the hard way..

Anyway... after having hot coolant/water/dawndishsoap shoot me in the face and have it flyu 30 feet in the air.. the cooler no longer leaks on the outside.. and im confident as to how hard it was to press together there is no internal leaks.. so a few more flushes of the rad and a few more litres of oilll should be good to go. I hope adding oil takes the knock away.... it should have around 10.5 litres right? i estimate there being 6-7.. would that read on the stick or guage?

LESSON! NEVER EVER EVER TAKE OFF A RAD CAP WHEN IT IS HOT......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
With a stock small oil fiter the pan requires 10 U.S. quarts. Very sorry about the burns but... At least your eyes are not hurt and you learned a lesson that can't be taught. Before I ever remove the radiator cap on any radiator no matter how cool or hot it is I squeeze the top rad hose first. Then I know what pressure is on the system and... Usually how hot it is.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Ok.. well i assume i have the small stock filter lol If i put 4 litres in and the smallish amount that came out of the truck (rest must have leaked out sadly) so i assume i have around 5-6.. would that cause knocking and a tick? I will get the other oil in tomorrow or tonight, not really motivated to work right now lol.

Yes, I KNOW not to open hot rad caps... that's the stupid part... but you are right.. a lesson you cannot teach. The doctor said i was lucky to perform the correct first aid on myself.. as some he has seen have not.. and that i was also lucky enough to get my eyes clamped shut before it blew.. saved my ass biggtimme

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
I had to move it back in to the driveway after i damned near burned my face off.. and the knock was pretty bad.. only had it running there for 5 mins tops to move it back in.. ALSO the power steering was acting up.. and it was being tough to turn.. what could low oil have to do there? anyway tomorrow morning i will be adding 4 more litres.. before i run it again.. and probably adding some Lucas oil to the mix :) adding 4 will hopefully bring me closer to the desired 9-10 litres it needs. I drove it around town for maybe 15-20 mins this way.. keeping it around 1500 rpm.. not really laying on it. I hope i didnt screw anything up too badly :( i will be pissed.. I really hope its just rocker clack.... and adding oil will solve it... I've heard of adding ATF to the oil too, what do you guys think about this? be kinda like adding oil additives to dissolve deposits ?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You drove the truck around for 20 minutes with no oil pressure? For future reference, don't ever do that again. 1 minute at idle is more than enough time to have oil prime with a recently drained sump and dry filter. If it doesn't prime, running it for longer will only damage the engine.

NO, don't put ATF in the engine.

Are you reading any oil at all on the dip stick? If not add until you do.

The cross hatched area alone is worth about 2 liters.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
ATF in the oil is VERY BAD! this is an old trick left over from rebuilders that used to use this method for flushing before tearing engines down for rebuild, in which case it's OK, but it doesn't matter then thaT you've knocked huge chunks of carbon loose to rattle around in the engine and score up vital parts, clog oil passages and jam up lifters. Somehow this started spreading around on the web a few years ago as a good flushing method. Don't believe it.

If you think you need to clean out your engine, do it safely, run a couple of treatments of Auto Rx

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
You drove the truck around for 20 minutes with no oil pressure? For future reference, don't ever do that again. 1 minute at idle is more than enough time to have oil prime with a recently drained sump and dry filter. If it doesn't prime, running it for longer will only damage the engine.

Sorry, i should have explained that a little better. I drove the truck for 20 minutes total at which time the gauge said passed half towards high, then it started to flick around, and then was at zero, and the engine light on, i was about 3 minutes from home when this happened. so i babied it home. the truck ran for i guess three minutes with the gauge reading nothing. Crosshatch is only good for two litres eh? i never knew that, thanks. How long does it take the oil to drain to the pan and read on the stick?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long does it take the oil to drain to the pan and read on the stick?

20 seconds tops. Most accurate reading is 15 minutes after shut down when hot. But for aiming for that cross hatched part to get covered, a few seconds is all it really takes to get a good enough reading. If you hit the bottom 1/4 of the cross hatched on the dipstick then you have enough oil to be safe. Covering the cross hatched area when cold will overfill the crank case because the dipstick in these trucks is calibrated to read accurate when hot (10L of oil can expand a lot when at normal operating temperature, hence the wide range on the dipstick).

Sorry, i should have explained that a little better. I drove the truck for 20 minutes total at which time the gauge said passed half towards high, then it started to flick around, and then was at zero, and the engine light on, i was about 3 minutes from home when this happened.

OK, that sounds a lot better, whew....LOL

The engine light came on at the same time you lost pressure? Fill the oil all the way, but its possible that its just a loose connector at the pressure sensor. 1987 is not actually capable of reading low oil pressure even though it has a gauge. The sensor is actually just a 7 psi on/off switch, so a low reading can only be an electrical problem in most cases. If you consider what I said earlier about oil expanding when its hot, it seems unlikely that oil pressure would be fine when cold, then cut out when hot because the level would actually go up slightly.

The oil pressure sensor is located right at the back top end corner of the engine if you want to have a look at that connector. I bet its probably a little loose.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
crap.. big problems guys.. or so i think anyways... yesterday i added what i took out.. which i roughly guesstimate at 2-3 litres tops.. then i went and got 3 more litre bottles and added those.. started to tick and knock on the drive.. so i got home quick and shut it down.. Today I went and got 4 more litres... still no reading on to the dipstick.. (up to 9-10 litres now) so i went and got yet another 4 more litres and a litre of Lucas oil additive... (that's 14-15 total now).... all the while adding some and letting it drain and checking stick.. letting it sit for 5-10 mins after getting a bad knock and shutting it down.. and then starting it up again you can hear the knock and almost the tick go away.. but then they both come back again.. i was out today in it.. just before writing this. running some errands.. gauge starts flipping ALL over the place.. Full to empty to middle.. then it bottomed out and engine light came on.. and the na few minutes later (on my way home) it started knocking badddd! what have i done!? also.. the coolant overflow is almost full.. and i heard a big bubbling when i shut it off.. I have a soapy water solution in the rad right now to clean out previous oil.. and there is that milky water in oil residue on the dipstick.. but no oil.. Did i blow a HG? damnit.. i am depressed now :( lol i need serious help

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just have straight water in the engine instead of coolant it will boil much easier than actual coolant. That could be the bubbling that you hear. The knock doesn't sound good, is it smoking at all? It sounds like you may have scored the crank a little bit. It may be time to find someone with some more tools to diagnose and hopefully save the engine if at all possible. You may be looking for another engine soon if you continue and you might need to find one already :puke: , I hate to sound negative but when ran without good oil pressure it doesn't take long to ruin a crank.

I was just rereading your post and something sounds off, is there a massive puddle anywhere? I sounds like either something went completely wrong on the oil cooler or you have something else bad wrong. I don't think a bad head gasket would cause you to have to add so much oil when trying to fill it up, it would typically push coolant into the cylinders and some into the crank case. If you have lots of oil in the coolant then I would think the oil cooler is still messed up.