Coolant is Black as OIL.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
If you just have straight water in the engine instead of coolant it will boil much easier than actual coolant. That could be the bubbling that you hear. The knock doesn't sound good, is it smoking at all? It sounds like you may have scored the crank a little bit. It may be time to find someone with some more tools to diagnose and hopefully save the engine if at all possible. You may be looking for another engine soon if you continue and you might need to find one already :puke: , I hate to sound negative but when ran without good oil pressure it doesn't take long to ruin a crank.

I was just rereading your post and something sounds off, is there a massive puddle anywhere? I sounds like either something went completely wrong on the oil cooler or you have something else bad wrong. I don't think a bad head gasket would cause you to have to add so much oil when trying to fill it up, it would typically push coolant into the cylinders and some into the crank case. If you have lots of oil in the coolant then I would think the oil cooler is still messed up.

That's the thing though.. there is alot of pressure in the coolant.. but i am not even gonna attempt to open that thing if it even feels remotely hot... and there will be noway to tell if there is oil in the coolant from the cooler before or after I "fixed" it..

There is only 4 places for oil to go right?

1- It stays where it should, in the crank case
2- it leaks itself in to the oil being that it is at a much higher pressure
3- the engine has bad rings and it is burning it off
4- a puddle on the ground.

Well there is no puddle, its not burning any oil (only smoke is black), and it is most certainly NOT in the crankcase.. Only leaves the rad.. When i had this happen yesterday.. when i took the rad cap off and burnt myself it was a foamy white. consistently.. but it could be from before i replaced the rings because the rad was filled with black watery liquids..

MAN this is a PITA.. what is my course of action? I cant have it in my driveway any longer... bylaw is gonna have a shitfit...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the dipstick tube ever disturbed in all of this? You might want to verify that its actually installed correctly at the block. I once took mine out and put it back incorrectly so the dipstick woud slide next to the pan instead of inside.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
dispstick was never touched.. and wouldn't it leak out of that hole if i had 5 more litres of oil then I supposed to have? I am at a wall here.. I have never had a problem like this..

I don't know what to do..i am sorry i am spazzing out.. but im already in a load of crap for having it at home from my mother, and for wrecking the whole driveway.. and now because it cant leave... I am just not thinking rationally.. i haven't any rational thoughts left..

you say the crosshatch is only good for 2 litres.. so thats still to say that 12 or 13 litres is missing.. there is no way it fit in to an already full cooling system.. even with filling the 2-3 litre overflow.. because thats still to say i crammed 10 litres of oil in to the cooling system! this is just beyond me... there has to be an answer for this behaviour..

How was it you said the gauge works? it doesnt have the ability to read 0 just below 7? how does that work? how will it read high? i dont understand it.. a 7 psi on and off switch explain please? lol so if it drops below 7 it bottoms out? and.... im lost.. this sucks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
dispstick was never touched.. and wouldn't it leak out of that hole if i had 5 more litres of oil then I supposed to have? I am at a wall here.. I have never had a problem like this..

I don't know what to do..i am sorry i am spazzing out.. but im already in a load of crap for having it at home from my mother, and for wrecking the whole driveway.. and now because it cant leave... I am just not thinking rationally.. i haven't any rational thoughts left..

you say the crosshatch is only good for 2 litres.. so thats still to say that 12 or 13 litres is missing.. there is no way it fit in to an already full cooling system.. even with filling the 2-3 litre overflow.. because thats still to say i crammed 10 litres of oil in to the cooling system! this is just beyond me... there has to be an answer for this behaviour..

How was it you said the gauge works? it doesnt have the ability to read 0 just below 7? how does that work? how will it read high? i dont understand it.. a 7 psi on and off switch explain please? lol so if it drops below 7 it bottoms out? and.... im lost.. this sucks

The low pressure warning shares a light with the overtemp warning, it is the generic Check engine light that resides directly below the seatbelt light on the instrument cluster. It should flash on momentarily while the key is in the start position during startup to indicate that it is functioning, if not, may have a burned out bulb or one of the senders involved ( i.e. your oil pressure sender ) may be toast

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil has to be going somewhere, if it is not leaking out the bottom and not being burnt in the cylinders then something has to be amiss. Oil just doesn't magically disappear. I just want to get some good solid answers to a couple questions really quick because there has been so many posts that it is a little confusing.

1. How many total quarts of oil have you poured into the engine? Counting what you poured back in from the first oil change and additional oil added afterwards.

2. Was it ever showing on the dipstick that it was full or overfull?

3. Did the level of oil dramatically drop after driving it or was it ever visible on the stick.

4. Describe the knock, is it prominent while idling, hard accel, normall cruise or all the time? Is it a tapping, clatter or an all out sledge hammer on the block pounding?

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Well the gauge could very well be toast.. but the knock,tick,sedgehammer verify it is telling me something is wrong and bad. engine light comes on when gauge bottoms out.

Including the oil i drained out of the truck.. which couldn't be more than 2-3 litres I re-added in pieces.. 2 litres, then 3 more, then 4 more then 4 more. for a total of 15-16 litres added to the engine.. i thought it was odd i would have to add so much.. but i was under the impression of add till you see it on the stick..

I did not check the oil level before i drained the oil the first time. so i dont know if it ever read on the stick. the stick has shown nothing in these last days of working on it... ever..

The knock is.. quiet yet still there during idle.. loud on hard accel (which i did once in hopes to raise PSI) so its there all the time.. and it sounds like rocker clatter, kinda like the new 5.4L's sound.. and then there is the block pounding if driven far enough.. and that goes away if u shut it down for 5-10 and restart it..

Also.. i checked the stick again after shutting it down and letting it sit for 15 mins... nothing, but there was the white **** of death.. and it is also very apparent in the filler neck.. it wasnt before... So if it were the cooler it would be the two smaller rings that would cause them to be mixing no?... wouldnt there still be liquid on the stick if water was getting in the oil? rather than 12-14 litres of oil just being non apparent..??

Im lost guys..

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one has me stumped. Have you been able to check the coolant yet?

Also, pop the lid off the air filter and have a look down the intake to see if there is any of that **** in there too. Its possible that the CDR valve is playing a role in this . Right now its hard to rule anything out:confused:

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
I'm sorry I have not been able to give good descriptions of what exactly is happening.. I have been a little busy lately :( and I also work tomorrow.. so i got's no time! i suck.

CDR valve.. could be possible.. its weird though because before i touched it.. it has never had an oil problem.. other than it going in to the coolant.. but it never had a problem with coolant in the oil.. I must have screwed up one of the little o-rings on the cooler :(

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Ok.. i went outside real quick and and took a look before it got dark.

I took the rad cap off and took a look down in there. It was down to about the tops of the tubes.. and i couldn't really tell what it looked like.. SO i opened the drain a tad and let some drain in to a pan.. and it was a blueish, greyish, very watery liquid. Definitely not thick like oil. Also took your advice David and popped the air cleaner assembly off and had a peek down there as well.. Oily.. but not scummy oil like the filler neck.. It was kinda all over the intake runners (as far as i could reach my fingers in) and i don't recall if it was there before or not...

I also pulled the dipstick, and looked just in case maybe it had drained back down to the pan ( like it seemed to do after letting it sit when the knock first set in), but no dice. It has the whit oily **** as well on it.. all the way up it.. kinda weird.

What is this CDR valve that you speak of David? is it that thing on the back of the intake? Has its tube right at the back of the intake.. there was oil in that hole.. Now that you brought up the oil in the intake.. it occurred to me that it was smoking WAYY more then I have ever remembered seeing it smoke.. has it been burning all this oil? Apparently.. it causes the rear cylinders to run hotter do to higher BTU's of oil over diesel, and causing HG's to faill.. causing the oil in the filler neck to be white and scummy... DAMN

Last edited:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Not to say I know anything important, but there are two different lengths of dipstick for these engines, and they are about 8 inches different. The short one was used through 1985, the longer one from 1986 on. If the dipstick was ever replaced, that could be why you are not seeing oil on it.

A stock sump uses 10 quarts. Any more and you are frothing the oil with the crank.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CDR is only a problem if its not maintained or is VEEEEERY old and the internal diaphragm falls apart.

8V.......

Did you ever check the oil in this truck before this all started? I wonder if Knuckledragger is on to something.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Hmm.. I will measure the dipstick tonight after work, do you know the total lengths of either the two lengths of stick? Frothing the oil? would that cause it to turn white and scummy?

I doubt the CDR was maintained.. at least in the last 5 years it has been driven by my gf's family. It is possible with the PO however, because the truck is in pretty good shape despite having 700,000kms on it. No, I never did check the oil level before i started, but i am sure there was no knocking or ticking of any kind.. as i drove the truck 50-60 kms to get it to my house,, and it didnt smoke as bad as it does now either..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I bet you have an injector causing the knock and the oil issue is an easy fix. First drain the oil. then pour back in the same oil but know how much you are pouring back in. 10 quarts is what the motor requires. Then find out which injector is causing the ingition knock. How many miles are on the injectors anyway. Might be time to replace all of them....:sly

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
i suppose it is possible the injectors are causing a knock.. a knock that wasnt there before i started anything.. but possible.. Not trying to be a ****, or anything. I have no idea of how many miles are on the injectors or when they were replaced. The thing about the knock is.. it goes away after i add fresh oil.. So the oil HAS to be going somewhere...

I will drain the oil and see how much comes out, and then i will make sure of how much goes back in. Do you think I am seeing the white froth because the crank is frothing it due to to much oil?

I started it this morning before work to see if maybe the knock had sufficed having sat for two days and letting the oil drain back in to the pan.. I also put something behind the tailpipe, and what blew out made me think it was a two-stroke dirt bike... a TON of oil came out... Could it be that it has been all been sucked up through the CDR and being burnt as fuel? and that is why I have noticed a lot more smoke and a slight increase in power when driving it with said smoke BILLOWING from the pipe? It was smoking like I had turned the pump up two flats.. or something.. I'm pretty sure it never smoked like that before...

Also is there any news on the lengths of dipsticks?

Thanks guys.. but i gotta get back to work now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle