bullet proof TTB

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Ok well I would think that alot of people on this site would understand about building a ttb stronger. Many of you are saying "You are wasting your time", "you are beating a dead horse", "d60 is the way to go and alot better".... Hey guess what, all powerstrokes, duramaxs, and cummins are more powerful and have more torque and get more done faster than any of our stock engines do? So why dont the people that think a d60 or solid axle is the only way to go because it is more robust just go buy a different truck with a "stronger" engine?????? Maybe because you like what you have but you just want to improve on it? Maybe you want to take what most people consider "junk" or "a waste of time" and show them its not bad and educate them? Well I indeed like IFS and I want to improve on it. Im not putting big tires on or lifting the truck. I am going to plow snow with it and I am building an engine and have some ideas that might make more power than stock and I just want it strong... Whats wrong with that? I want ideas on how to make the TTB stronger and I do not want to hear about swapping solid axles in! Thanks for the people that are helping me.

Your TTB will do what you are asking of it with no problem as I have outlined earlier. You need to find a good spring shop to make you new leaf packs which will put the front end 1-2" higher. This will keep it from hitting the bump stops and actually give you a better ride. Rebuild with quality Spicer parts and put some Bilstein shocks all the way around. You will be good for the next 10 years.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDI is cheap and handles alternate fuels well. It is still a good engine.

TTB was never good, is expensive and requires a lot of maintenance vs a D60. Can't polish a ****...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hope my list helps someone;

Bilstein 4600 Series Shocks
Front #24-016179
Rear #24-016186
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
Federal Mogul - Moog Upper & Lower Ball Joints #K80026/#K8435
Federal Mogul - Moog Inner Tie Rods
#DS1072/#DS1069
Federal Mogul - Moog Outer Tie Rods
#ES2728L/#ES2727R

don't worry yourself over what the kids say too much about the E40D's and D50's boys.
it's just like anything.a little maintenance goes a long way.
contrary to popular believe,the zf5's and d60's fail too.don't let 'em fool ya.

Attachments

• plow.jpg
    plow.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 79

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its really ****** of some of you guys, "keyboard cowboys" to run your mouth "fingers" at this guy that has a question, and wants info for that question. just cause some of you guys cant repair your vehicle enough to make a TTB50 safe doesnt mean you should insult the guy about it. the dana 50 Ttb is a good axle, when its not wore plum out by non maintance. some of you should be ashamed of yourselves, and i shouldnt be the one that should be saying this.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its really ****** of some of you guys, "keyboard cowboys" to run your mouth "fingers" at this guy that has a question, and wants info for that question. just cause some of you guys cant repair your vehicle enough to make a TTB50 safe doesnt mean you should insult the guy about it. the dana 50 Ttb is a good axle, when its not wore plum out by non maintance. some of you should be ashamed of yourselves, and i shouldnt be the one that should be saying this.

X2. To each his own. I've personally seen D50 TTB's hold up to years of use, abuse, torture, and lack of maintenance. As I said before, It's not a D60, but there nothing wrong with rebuilding it and running it. If you read the DW article on Mels '83 F250, He's still rockin the D44 TTB with a 4"lift.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the op Call John At Auto Fab in Santee California. He has been doin this stuff for years an knows more about ttb an I beams than the opinions listed here. He acutely builds an races these an they win races. You can go to auto fab web site an see his work. In east county San Diego he is the one an only man to speak with about I beam fords he knows what's up.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gm front ends only last 200k before needing things replaced. I check for play every 20k, I would rather replace a tie rod than a tire.

GM ifs sure does suck balls.

I would buy a d50 Ford for over the road towing but I am skeptical of them lasting like the gms I beat the crap out of.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't worry yourself over what the kids say too much about the E40D's and D50's boys.
it's just like anything.a little maintenance goes a long way.
contrary to popular believe,the zf5's and d60's fail too.don't let 'em fool ya.

Yeah they go bad too. But ZF5's and D60's are half the cost to maintain and fix. ;p

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they go bad too. But ZF5's and D60's are half the cost to maintain and fix. ;p

Not sure what an E4OD costs to rebuild but a GM 4L80 costs $900 so it has to be close to that.

ZF5 costs ~700 for good synchros and bearings (might need a couple hard parts for those with alot of abuse and high miles) then a new clutch and fly wheel costs $300-400. There are more parts to fail on the ZF5, dont kid yourself with them being cheaper to replace...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online