bullet proof TTB

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why?

It is a flawed design. Strength isn't really an issue with it, it's the characteristics that still make it sjitty. Camber and toe are constantlly changing and fighting against each other as the suspension cycles so all the TRE's, BJs, EVERY suspension compnoent is put under extra stress.

Have you driven an OBS F350 with a solid Dana 60? It is night an day, 1000x better. There is absolutely nothing good about TTB and the 250 style is the worst. Whoever came up with leaf sprung IFS is a real ****!

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
OK what GM front end are you talking about? The 89+ trucks? I hope not

I personally disagree. I know the gm setup is different but when built right, independent suspension can but built REALLY strong and GM is a good example of that.

Black dawg

Reaction score
like said earlier, start with a 50.

I have had some ttb trucks that had very good tire wear, and drove nice. The biggest drawback is on trucks that see a wide variety of loads, can have major camber change load to load. On a truck that is loaded the same everyday, everything will be fine.

The ttb actually handles corners (dirt and asphalt) much better that a solid front does.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hyde, I'm slightly confused. Aren't you missing a bunch of stuff in your front end? Like steering components and brakes. I kno you said its an offroad truck I'm just curious about your set up

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Hyde, I'm slightly confused. Aren't you missing a bunch of stuff in your front end? Like steering components and brakes. I kno you said its an offroad truck I'm just curious about your set up

That was just as I was hanging the axle under there, it has the factory D50 brakes and the knuckles reamed for 1 ton Chevy TRE's over the knuckle and a "Y" link steering setup.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ttb I have eats tires regularly and ball joints every 2 years or less...it SUCKS big time.

Check your drop brackets. Mine ate tires until I noticed the passenger spring moved alot when steering. Looked at the drop brackets when someone else turned the wheel when stopped, the passenger bracket moved about 3/4 inch :dunno. Found out 1 bolt had sheared off, 2 others the hole elongated so much they were worn thru. Had only 1 bolt of 4 holding it together :eek: Note: it was aligned 3 times at 2 different shops and they didn't notice the bracket.:dunno

Did a 4" Rough Country lift (new brackets included in kit :sly) all is well. Rides better, aligned well (needed special adjustment collars), tires wear normal now.;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Although I would love to have a Dana 60 in mine....the stock Dana 44HD is holding up just fine. It feels like it rides the same as or better than the CC F350 4x4 that my dad use to own.

I'm not trying to defend TTB setups as its pretty clear they aren't as good as a straight axle...but they aren't chevy IFS either. When I go offroad...I dont ever worry about it.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Although I would love to have a Dana 60 in mine....the stock Dana 44HD is holding up just fine.

I wish mine held up, broke the center u-joint yoke, and the drivers side steering yoke. With my winter tires one.. (235/85/16 vs my 35x12.50 summer)

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Why?

It is a flawed design. Strength isn't really an issue with it, it's the characteristics that still make it sjitty. Camber and toe are constantlly changing and fighting against each other as the suspension cycles so all the TRE's, BJs, EVERY suspension compnoent is put under extra stress.

Have you driven an OBS F350 with a solid Dana 60? It is night an day, 1000x better. There is absolutely nothing good about TTB and the 250 style is the worst. Whoever came up with leaf sprung IFS is a real ****!
That is part of reading about linkages and springs.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you lift any even just slightly I would recommend a dropped pitman worlds of difference on tightening up the feel of the steering. If the drivers side drag is at too much of an angle to the passengers, the drivers side will push and rotate the passenger tie rod allowing the front tire to flop around even though all ball joints and tie rods are tight. To test this jack up the drivers side tire and try to turn the wheel if it moves, look to see if it is rotating the passenger tie rod.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Also slicer parts or nothing. Don't cry about warring author parts if you don't buy quality parts

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the TTB setup is a good set-up, and if most people would repair there trucks correctly, they would say that as well. that being said, i used to run a dana50 TTB on 37s and after rebuilding the frt end it NEVER broke anything, took it mudding a lot, drove it on the street as a daily driver, never did it wear the tires worng, nor break anything. usually when people break stuff they let it wore out parts go too far and it finally just breaks.
best thing to do is replace every bushing with poly bushing, makes the frt end tight, and makes a world of difference. last truck i had i put 40,*** miles on it and just dogged the crap out of it, it took it and never wore anything out. everyone also does understand that the TTB is basically a solid axle cut in half, then hung on pivot points. other then that its basically the same as a ball joint dana 60 frt axle. makes me laugh everytime i hear people bashing the TTB frt ends. set up right, they ride better then a dana 60, and handle better then a dana 60.

also the TTB works well in desert racing as well. check out this forum. http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/91684-dana-50-TTB

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also slicer parts or nothing. Don't cry about warring author parts if you don't buy quality parts

X2 I think he means Spicer. Sealed Spicer u-joinst are the way to go. If you need new axle shafts pieces you can still get them from a Dana Spicer dealer such as Inland Truck Parts. That's who we have in my area anyway. The camber alignment is compromised on most of these front axles by worn bushings, springs, and ball joints. Most of the F250's on the road that you see have a combination of these problems. Lots of people cuss these front ends, but we have had an '86, '94, and '95 F250's with this front end on the ranch and they were all tortured. None of them ever let us down or broke despite the flaws they may have. If you are OK with the TTB then its just fine. Is it a D60 solid axle? No. But, in my opinion and experience it will do the job for you just fine. Now, I'm assuming your not putting on 10" of lift and 44" tires. All of our pickups were stock for the record.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70