bullet proof TTB

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they go bad too. But ZF5's and D60's are half the cost to maintain and fix. ;p

half the cost to maintain a dana 60 verses a dana 50 TTB, hmm, so when do you see the savings after you spend $1500ish to convert it over?
$1500 can make a dana 50 TTB go forever.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I could just as easy jump on the bandwagon but for what? Look at my sig and see what I prefer in my truck.......it doesn't matter. The OP asked what can be done to TTB front end so I gave him 3 post of good info, life experiences with with TTB, some wild TTB builds for eye candy, and the reassurance that TTB would hold up for HIS intended use. With stock tires, a well put together TTB front end will push snow from Michigan to Florida. The OP already realized that a D60 is stronger......it was like the first thing he said. There is no reason to shovel your puke down somebody else's throat, give it a break.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Bilstein 4600 Series Shocks
Front #24-016179
Rear #24-016186
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
Federal Mogul - Moog Upper & Lower Ball Joints #K80026/#K8435
Federal Mogul - Moog Inner Tie Rods
#DS1072/#DS1069
Federal Mogul - Moog Outer Tie Rods
#ES2728L/#ES2727R

Prices (just googled and clicked a random link):
Federal Mogul K80026 : $50.22
Federal Mogul K8435 : $72.20
Federal Mogul DS1072: $ $61.36
Federal Mogul DS1069: $ 123.22
Federal Mogul ES2728L:$ 49.45
Federal Mogul ES2727R:$49.45

So right there you are looking at $ 405.90 (gotta add in shipping). I guess other than that you should factor in wheel bearings, U-joints, and bushings.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Good grief!!!!!
Keyboard jockeys or not keep this thread on topic or it's done!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time trying to find bushings for them. It doesnt help I dont know what I'm searching for LOL

Ok found some more:

Center pivot bushing Daystar KFO3018
Spring and shackle bushing kit Daystar KFO2016

outer cone Timken LM104949 (small bearing)
outer race Timken LM104911 (these 2 can also be purchased as "SET38")
inner cone Timken 387A (large bearing)
inner race Timken 382A
Differential needle bearing (for right side stub shaft) Ford 3W1Z1225AA
Spindle needle bearings Ford D8TZ3123A (left and right side)
Spindle seal (L&R) Ford F2TZ1S175CA
Rolling Diaphragm Seal (axle shaft to back of spindle, L&R) Ford F81Z1S175HCA

Left diff seal Ford E4TZ3254B
Right diff seal Ford E3TZ3254C
Driveshaft ujoints Spicer 5-1204X
Axle shaft ujoints Spicer 5-178X (same as rear driveshaft)

This is all for a Dana 50

Last edited:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did to mine:
Polyurethane bushings in the leaf spring and pivot bushings
XRF ball joints
New bearings / races
All new spicer U-joints (all 3 of them)
Some of this was done before I swapped the front end into my truck (switched to 4.10 gears).
Once I got the new one in, the springs were sagging to the point that there was only 1/4" clearance on the bump stops. So, I used the top leafs off of the spare front end, cut about 6" off of each end of them, and added them to the spring pack on the truck. This added about 1-1/2" of lift to the front end and gave the truck the ride quality of a skateboard. The other part not listed above is the Moog adjustable upper ball joint bushing I used to get the camber back in check after the extra leafs were added.
My truck is one of the heavier IDI's (about 7400 lbs.), I run 35" tires, tow a 10k 5er on a regular basis, and the steering wheel gets a good work out (CCLB), and the front end is holding up great 2 years later.
If it didn't ride like crap, I would probably be content with the front end on my truck, but in my quest to smooth the thing out (maybe some super-duty V code springs on a 60) has me dreaming of one day swapping to a Dana 60.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What I did to mine:
Polyurethane bushings in the leaf spring and pivot bushings
XRF ball joints
New bearings / races
All new spicer U-joints (all 3 of them)
Some of this was done before I swapped the front end into my truck (switched to 4.10 gears).
Once I got the new one in, the springs were sagging to the point that there was only 1/4" clearance on the bump stops. So, I used the top leafs off of the spare front end, cut about 6" off of each end of them, and added them to the spring pack on the truck. This added about 1-1/2" of lift to the front end and gave the truck the ride quality of a skateboard. The other part not listed above is the Moog adjustable upper ball joint bushing I used to get the camber back in check after the extra leafs were added.
My truck is one of the heavier IDI's (about 7400 lbs.), I run 35" tires, tow a 10k 5er on a regular basis, and the steering wheel gets a good work out (CCLB), and the front end is holding up great 2 years later.
If it didn't ride like crap, I would probably be content with the front end on my truck, but in my quest to smooth the thing out (maybe some super-duty V code springs on a 60) has me dreaming of one day swapping to a Dana 60.

I wonder if a new set of leaf springs would work out for you? Might loose a little lift over what you have, but gain a better ride?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Daystar KF03018 $50 for spring and shackle bushings
Center pivot bushing : $25 each (two required I would think?) Same between 44HD and 50?

I'm almost considering doing this to a TTB 50 and just calling it a day. Wonder what would be involved in converting to diesel 2wd coils? Now that could get interesting! Do like the prerunner guys do except on a bigger scale.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last thing I'll add to this. As far as pre runners using TTB, they do but it is far from the TTB you see under these trucks and is used in a completely different application.

Pre-runners need long travel so the Camber change isn't much of an issue since the tires most likely aren't even on the ground. Most are 2wd, use custom beams, radius arms, steering and coilovers.

TTB is stronge than conventional a arm IFS and gives more ground cleanrance.

And as far as converting to a 60 costing $1500, that is rediculous. Done right you might even be ahead of the game buying a complete truck and parting it out.

Pre-runner set ups are about the only time TTB doesn't suck and is actually good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel