Block heater

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
lookin at them. the smaller one is only 600 watt... . will this be efficiant enought? its the only one i could find
600 is not going to make it hot as the 1000 in my opinion the 1000 is to small. It will be okay if you plug in when truck is still hot and leave it until you start again. In other words it will maintain the temperature.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the 600 will be fine. I have used a 400 on a 6.9, and it worked just fine.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, the higher the wattage the better. We're in the middle of a nasty cold snap right now, and the more it heats the better on those sub - zero days.

You're in there anyway. Heck, I've got the biggest bottle heater on that's possible, and it makes quite the difference

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
The 600 is not big enough unless you live in a climate were it only gets to 30 or 40 degrees period. The 1000 watt heater isn't big enough in the north. Mine was plugged in at 7 pm stone cold the other night. The next day at 1pm it still went to high idle when started so it was below 112 degrees, the temp high idle kicks out. Block heater is new ,replaced in December, 10 gauge extension cord.

Black dawg

Reaction score
How hot does it need to be?
Even my 200w pan heater gets the whole engine to 30 deg when it is zero out.

Im not arguing that a guy shouldnt try to get the 1000w, just saying that the lower watt worked just fine on a very hard starting 6.9. Worked fine in temps as low as -20, with highs still below zero

Last edited:

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! i was able to make a bit of a road trip and get the 1000w i needed.
and as louck would have a guy came and buaght the truck earlier today.. i will miss the old girl but at least someone will be able to drive an appreciate her now.
Thanks for all the help OB!

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
At what temperature is the block heater actually necessary? Mine has started with minimal fuss down to a few degrees below zero and haven't had occasion to try any lower. My 460 truck actually takes longer to start on these frigid morning since it usually sits long enough that all the gas evaporates out of the bowls. At what point does gelling become more of an issue than not having a block heater?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I have had mine start at -20 actual temp, with wind chill it was colder that that, last winter in the [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Adirondack Mountains. They will start when its cold. The block heater makes the oil warm so it flows easier reducing engine wear and It make the heat blow hot faster, in addition to making it start easier. So I would say the temp it is needed at is personal preference.
In my experience gelling usually occurs in the small orfices ,fittings,filters or injector lines, wherever you have a smaller amounts of fuel, so the block heater helps on this because these areas are generally on the engine. I pesonally have never seen a fuel tank gelled but I'm sure if it was cold enough it could happen.
How hot do they need to be, I think that is a matter of opinion also. I like it to be on hot idle when it starts and the 1000 watt will generally do it in my area if plugged in long enough but not always.
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin