Plug block heater into "shore power"?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The outlet should be 30 amps 120 volts. If it’s on a single breaker it’s 120 volts. It will be 30 amp breaker even with adapter. You could use a power strip with a built in 15 amp breaker to decrease amperage for block heater.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. It's 30A/120v. Do you think I need a 15A breaker before the block heater?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weak link is your block heater cord. That is most likely rated for 20 amps. With the 30 amp breaker it could overheat that cord before it tripped. To be safe a 15 or 20 amp breaker would be best between them.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 amp breaker will supply up to 30 amps to your power cord. The heater will draw 20 amps maximum. The supply is good if all runs correctly. But we all know things don't go according to plan. I would change the breaker to a 20 amp breaker OR add a second breaker and plug for the block heater. This could be a fire danger.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
A heavy duty power strip would work. They have a 15A breaker built in typically.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I guess I'll grab these two from HF. The power strip will be kinda clunky hanging in front of my grill but I guess that's the easiest way to get a 15A breaker in the mix. Or I could try to get someone to change the 30 in the panel to a 15. I don't like going in there.

You must be registered for see images attach

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide to change the breaker in the panel use a 20 amp. That is still enough to plug your rv into and run air or microwave if you want.

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide to change the breaker in the panel use a 20 amp. That is still enough to plug your tv into and run air or microwave if you want.
Thanks. But I don't even have a camper. The previous owner of my house did. I've had no use for it until now.
The truck is going to start getting parked outside under a canopy. It takes up too much space (20') in my garage.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To piggyback on @u2slow my buddy had some load reader and my block heater draw was 810 watts.

Are you planning to leave it plugged in all the time or use a timer?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Actually the BH is 1000W.
That is what was printed on the packaging.
My old one had 1000W stamped on it.

Goat
I have seen a few of our block heaters of 600 watts as well as the 1000 watt heaters. Every time I have changed one out I've always made sure I bought a 1000 watt Bheater.

And MAKE SURE you use a big enough extension cord going to your truck/BHeater to carry the current!!!
I nearly learned the hard way!!! Once I had a 150' 16 ga cord i used several times. Plugged it in the garage, out to my truck, let down garage door, went to bed. Next morning went to garage & garage was full of smoke, lots of smoke!!! My 20amp hadn't tripped & wall plug nearly was on fire, wall all black!
Now I use nothing but a 12ga extension cord!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online