Leaving block heater cord plugged in

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So can I just leave the block heater cord plugged in while driving just have it zipp tied out of the way and to a place easy to get to. Will the heat from the engine at full temp damage the cord at all. Its rather inconvenient to have to crawl under the truck when its 20 out and then get my whole arm nice and lubed up every time i plug it in.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine tied to the positive battery cable for the starter until it starts going up then it shoots strait to the bumper and it just sits in the bullnose bumper horn for an idea

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I leave mine plugged in year round because I don’t want the connection point to get full of gunk and road debris. I protected the cord with some heat resistant split loom. And zip tied it out of the way.

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
I have mine tied to the positive battery cable for the starter until it starts going up then it shoots strait to the bumper and it just sits in the bullnose bumper horn for an idea

I have the same on mine - never had an issue with it. I usually leave the excess looped around the grill.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The gooberment’s solution (RH fender) but I’m actually quite fond of it.
I was thinking about doing that to my 86. a week or so back there was talk about the NOCO Battery Booster

NOCO Boost X GBX155 4250A 12V

Reading up on them they have accessories for them and including the plug for the fender mount.

I was thinking of a mount on each side depending how/which side is closest to the Garage.

I changed mine out quite a few years ago since it did not work. cleaned out the hole for the contact pins and use a bit of Dialectrical grease. Zip tied it all together.

A year or so later I noticed copper showing on the wire, didn`t get it zippered right and Belt rubbed on it.

Changed it out again, and about this time the OC dumped coolant into the oil.
Then changed the BH to a new one as it was green and grungy around the hole.

Having been under the skirts of the old girl, don`t want to be removing the cord too often. Just leave her plugged in and well zipped.

Goat

Last edited:

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
I got my block heater replaced a year or so ago and ever since when it’s plugged in for more than 30 minutes or so it starts humming. Anybody ever come across this? I suspect it’s boiling the coolant so I started leaving it plugged in for shorter durations and it seems to be quieter.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you plug it in you should start to hear it sizzle/ or make other funny noises warming up, where the BH is installed.
This is what they look like in case you have not seen one. Just a heating element. They need to be emersed in coolant, or they will burn out quickly.
They are 1000W.

Gone up in price a bit, last one I bought was $50.

When you plug it in, it takes a few hours to get the engine warm enough to start.
Plugging it in for shorter durations won`t help much.

Goat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online