Block Serial ID

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy is looking at a replacement engine on fb near us, his truck is a turbo but that engine is cooked. Newer rebuilt turbo. We found a guy with this block but it doesn't have a turbo. Claims the turbo was bad so he got the engine and just tossed it in a n/a truck. I was looking at serial threads and saw conflicting info that any serial above 1,116,331 is a turbo block but this has a F and not a T in the serial?

You must be registered for see images attach

It runs and sounds good so I don't think he's gonna care but some price ammo to haggle would be cool. Maybe I'm wrong about the T in the serial.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like this. Also if the place where the oil sender is 1/4npt it's na block, 3/8 turbo block.

Attachments

• IMG_20231027_181234.jpg
    IMG_20231027_181234.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 20

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And really, I just looked at my na block and it's serial number is done differently than the one you show, so I wonder if it's not out of something other than a Ford truck.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't look at the oil sending unit but by the oil filter it's 1/4 not 1/8 which I thought meant turbo but that serial on the block has me so confused. Doesn't look like any I've found on searches online. My 7.3 non turbo is different and so was my 6.9, they look like yours.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's not a factory serial number. Someone removed the factory number and restamped a new one. If you look closely, you can see grinder marks in your picture where they ground off the factory number. Jesus Freak is right about the factory number looking different.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't look at the oil sending unit but by the oil filter it's 1/4 not 1/8 which I thought meant turbo but that serial on the block has me so confused. Doesn't look like any I've found on searches online. My 7.3 non turbo is different and so was my 6.9, they look like yours.
That's right 1/8 and 1/4, not 1/4 and 3/8.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a factory serial number. Someone removed the factory number and restamped a new one. If you look closely, you can see grinder marks in your picture where they ground off the factory number. Jesus Freak is right about the factory number looking different.
How do you see grinder marks? I just see a mess!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between the 114 and the 129 numbers it certainly looks like circular marks that run both directions like would come from a grinder.
I'm sceptical, I think that's where they were rubbing with their fingers. We need @Selahdoor the SUPER SLUTH to give us his professional PI appraisal.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the grinder marks.

I do see horizontal scratches across the upper numbers.

Could have been made by someone rubbing with their fingers. But they also look like file marks. Occam's razor says they are finger rub marks.

Here's the thing, though. Those numbers were not stamped in by a machine.

Save both of those pictures to your computer. Bring them up on screen. Spin them so they are oriented correctly.

Now use a piece of paper as a straight edge. Put it along the bottom of the numbers in the second, (factory) pic. See how crisp and clean the bottom is? Beginning to end they are all perfectly level, and stand perfectly vertical from that line. The only variance is obviously intentional. (Extra space after the "T", and a little less extra space after the "U2")

Now do the same to the first pic. Those letters and characters are all over the place. The "F" sits on top of the leg of the "L". Spacing is not consistent anywhere. What spacing is supposed to be there, isn't. And there is spacing where it shouldn't be.

Best job they did was with the vertical placing. Someone must have told them that that is the easiest thing to screw up, and the easiest to detect, so they were extra careful about that. But then they got sloppy with all the rest of it.

The body of most number/character punches are square. They could have simply clamped down a thick straight edge against the surface, then held the punches tight to the straightedge and that would have kept them all aligned both vertical and horizontal. But that would not have helped with their spacing.

Maybe they surfaced the block, which resulted in the number being ground off. Got it put together and realized the number was gone. And had to put it back by hand, in the cramped space they have right there... ?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The body of most number/character punches are square. They could have simply clamped down a thick straight edge against the surface, then held the punches tight to the straightedge and that would have kept them all aligned both vertical and horizontal. But that would not have helped with their spacing.
What you didn't mention is the number size. The restamped numbers are too large to be factory numbers. Our engines' serial numbers also didn't start out as "7.3L".
Maybe they surfaced the block,
Maybe, but I can't think of a single reason to surface the block in that spot.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew that @Selahdoor would make this thread interesting! Surfacing the top doesn't make any sense to me either.

This we can be sure of though:
Eric Clapton and Bob Marley, shot the sheriff.

This we'll have to wonder:
Who screwed up this serial number?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that some places did it just to put their own on there when redoing the engine. Why? I have no idea. When ours were done, they had three serial numbers on them. The factory one, the one that out machine shop put on, and the one that we put on. We did add numbers, but we always left the factory one alone. I can remember 3 or 4 blocks that came through with the factory serial numbers gone. Just like the one in the original post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online