Block heater

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
i know where it is. it is right above the starter.. i would just like to kniow how to go about removing it.... seeing as it is 0 degrees here i do not want to be finding this out in my drive way...i so far ive found other sites are useless hahah. so help is appreciated. thanks.

p.s i know about the coolant bath i will be getting

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to remove it? Is it leaking? Broken cord connector? There is a nut or wing nut on a bolt sticking out, it swivels a little bar inside the block, hold the screw with needle nose so the bar don't fall inside. This is a hell'va time to work on that. If you can take the block pipe plug out and drain it, you won't get much of a BATH. Lot easier to work on with the starter removed, DISCONNECT BATTERIES FIRST.

A wet ass in the snow is colder than a well diggers ass.:D

sassyrel

Reaction score
A wet ass in the snow is colder than a well diggers ass.:D[/QUOTE]

waaaayyyyyyy tooo much truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! changing a starter,,on a idi, or stroke,,sucks big ones when its like that outside....

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you can drain the engine block (I couldn't) not a fun job...especially if doing it in the freezing temps.
I had to drain the rad and then pulled the lower rad hose...I still got a wet arm and face (sucks)

No way around it, the starter has to come out, and that's not too bad...DISCONNECT BATTERIES FIRST...back-off the center nut then to compress the inner-fingers, with a flat screwdriver start working around the outside diameter. Take note how the heating element is 'clocked' and reinstall the same way.
With a small brass brush clean hole around where the o-ring seats...I then coat that area & o-ring with a 'little' synthetic grease...insert the new heater and to 'seat' the unit 'snug' the center bolt.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Found heater cord melted. its a brand new cord. found a short in block heater element. need to put it on to help the sell. thanks for the help guys. any tips?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what it looks like on the back side. The T bar holds it like a toggle. The Screw that holds the bar is not supposed to come all the way out. As you turn the screw it will start getting harder to turn when you reach the end of the threads. If the screw comes out the T bar will fall in the water jacket. It may break in two and fall in. You can fish it out or leave it if you can't get it. I bought a Zero Start from O'reillys that looked like oem. The Kats one NAPA sells didn't want to go in without bending the element so I returned it.
Edit: Right click on pic and select view image. I don't know how to resize my pics.

Attachments

• DSC00142.jpg
    DSC00142.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 130

Robt.Webster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found heater cord melted. its a brand new cord. found a short in block heater element. need to put it on to help the sell. thanks for the help guys. any tips?

Are you sure that it's shorted? The heater on my '92 7.3 measures ~16 ohms. Thought that I had an issue with my heater being bad, and turned out only to be cord problem. Fixed that, and back to warm starts in the morning.

If you can disconnect the cord and do a resistance check on the heater itself, may save you a lot of trouble as you may only need to replace cord.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that it's shorted? The heater on my '92 7.3 measures ~16 ohms. Thought that I had an issue with my heater being bad, and turned out only to be cord problem. Fixed that, and back to warm starts in the morning.

If you can disconnect the cord and do a resistance check on the heater itself, may save you a lot of trouble as you may only need to replace cord.
So, is the cord replaceable and if so where could it be purchased???
EDIT...I see them on eBay, I need one, checking Rock Auto

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Just put in a bottle heater. They work incredible well
Are you referring to a tank type heater? Yes they do work well. I like the Idea of the bottom hose type also. Idiforlife what brand is that one in your pic? What did you do with spring in bottom hose. I have seen directions that say not to use the spring and some that say cut a 3 in section out of the spring.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
so i got it out. and the original one is much shorter then the new one. the copper conductor that is. will that be a problem looks like same plug size
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
lookin at them. the smaller one is only 600 watt... . will this be efficiant enought? its the only one i could find

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you check O'rielly's? I got the 1000w Zerostart from them and the element is long like the one you removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk