Best Coolant?

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to flush my 7.3 and add a coolant filter with the SCA additives in the filter. What is a good coolant mix to run in my truck. Is there a NAPA coolant I can use as I am using a NAPA 4071 filter.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The regular green NAPA stuff is what I use. It says "Low Silicate" on the back. Then use the NAPA Kool in the correct ratio to bring the SCA level to the right spot.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Really most are good.
I like the fleet charge.

I wanted to try cat elc.

I'm not for sure, but say you do a precharged coolant, then adding a charged filter may be too much. Not sure though.
I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not for sure, but say you do a precharged coolant, then adding a charged filter may be too much. Not sure though.
I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me.

I was under the impression that you have to provide the initial SCA charge and then the filter maintains the levels. Though I am not sure about the compatabilities of different brands of SCA's? I thought I read something about not being able to mix them....but then I am a little fuzzy on the details.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was under the impression that you have to provide the initial SCA charge and then the filter maintains the levels. Though I am not sure about the compatabilities of different brands of SCA's? I thought I read something about not being able to mix them....but then I am a little fuzzy on the details.

Same here.
Sounds right though.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Napa pre-charged with SCA's is not compatable with Fleetcharge or Motorcraft DC-8... When I swapped out my engine, I bought two gallons of Napa and then I realized that I needed two more and that's when I found that Fleetcharge and Motorcraft were compatable with each other, but not Napa...

So I went the Motorcraft way with the DC-8...

And still have the two gallons of Napa... cookoo

Couldn't you use a plain filter instead with any pre-charged coolant and check SCA levels twice a year?

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Get what's easiest for you to buy.
You already have a Napa filter, just get Napa sca charged coolant.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to try cat elc as well, probably will still since I can get it cheap. Thing about it is though if you mix a sca like fleet gaurd dca with it you have to keep adding it just like the plain ol green stuff. Takes a different test strip to boot to test the pre-charged sca's.