Back in an IDI

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple trucks with 6.9 IDIs in the past, and a gas hungry 460 recently, but I've always wanted a 5 speed truck. I picked this truck up a week and a half ago and just got around to tinkering with it today.It's got 115,*** miles, and is pretty clean for it's age. The previous owner was the second owner, and had the clutch replaced(SMF), as well as the starter, IP, and Injectors. It sat for 6 months with some questionable fuel, so I had a intermittent stall on return to idle condition, which an overdose of ATF and Stanadyne additive in a new fuel filter has seemed to cure. The only other pressing project yet to be completed is an oil cooler reseal(and oil+ coolant change at the same time.)

I'm also going to need fuel tank sending units, which I don't imagine are particularly cheap. Do sending units differ between diesel and gas trucks?

Attachments

• New Truck 1-29-11 001small.jpg
    New Truck 1-29-11 001small.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 24
  • New Truck 1-29-11 002small.jpg
    New Truck 1-29-11 002small.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 12
  • New Truck 1-29-11 003small.jpg
    New Truck 1-29-11 003small.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 39
  • New Truck 1-29-11 004small.jpg
    New Truck 1-29-11 004small.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 9

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet looks clean
all fuel stuff is diesel specific

DragRag

Reaction score
The gas and diesel unit are different. I just pulled the units from a single cab 92' that may fit yours, they worked fine before I pulled them.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DragRag: if they interchange, I'm definitely interested. My current units read full until the truck is 3/4 empty, then read one notch above 1/2 tank when empty.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a real nice looking truck there! Too bad it's only an XL model, but at least it has A/C, those dash vents can be a life-saver in cold/hot weather. And here's a suggestion for an upgrade - find yourself an XLT seat, they have the bottoms and the back shaped like bucket seats where the driver and passenger sit, and there is a drop-down armrest in the middle (but with the armrest folded up you can still fit three people reasonably comfortable).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Very nice looking clean rig.... About running out of fuel with a 1/4 tank... Thats a broken off suction line in the tanks. If you fill up the tanks and it only needs around 12 gallons then its defently a broken suction. The fix is a short piece of fuel hose clamped to the broken suction pickup in the tank...

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
That's a real nice looking truck there! Too bad it's only an XL model, but at least it has A/C, those dash vents can be a life-saver in cold/hot weather. And here's a suggestion for an upgrade - find yourself an XLT seat, they have the bottoms and the back shaped like bucket seats where the driver and passenger sit, and there is a drop-down armrest in the middle (but with the armrest folded up you can still fit three people reasonably comfortable).

Man you'd hate my F250, it's a Custom! LOL

It's got NOTHING! 2 speed wipers :D

My A/C has always been the little vent windows open all the way around, and the wind blows directly on you. Feels good.....untill a fly or bee hits you in the chest....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Reminds me of my truck before I did anything to it, except for a different front end LOL.

You must be registered for see images attach

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the truck below 1/4 tank to "test" whether or not my pickups are broken, but those will be addressed with the replacement of the senders.

And I love the fact that my truck is an XL; manual locks, windows, transmission, and Vinyl floors. I would like to upgrade the tires (to perhaps a 255/85R16), add a cd player, tow hooks, towing wiring, a headache rack, and a toolbox, as well as some possible interior storage. And maybe a turbo in the distant future. I fully intend to keep this truck clean; no DavidsFarm plans for it!

If I may rant for a moment, how does the ford dealership get off charging $77 for oil cooler o-rings? I had thought about changing them when I fix the leaking front oil cooler gasket, but thats nuts for 6 o-rings(I was told I need 3 for each end. Is this correct?) Is there any other (cheaper) source for these, or am I stuck with the dealership on this one?

On a note related to DragRag's offer, does anyone know if the sending units/connectors are the same on a 92 as an 89?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I may rant for a moment, how does the ford dealership get off charging $77 for oil cooler o-rings? I had thought about changing them when I fix the leaking front oil cooler gasket, but thats nuts for 6 o-rings(I was told I need 3 for each end. Is this correct?) Is there any other (cheaper) source for these, or am I stuck with the dealership on this one?
That's not correct...the only IDI's that used 3 O-rings on each end were the early 6.9l's ('83 and early '84). Here are a couple of pictures of how the O-rings differ. I accidentally bought the O-rings for the later trucks and had to return them for the early-style; if you need, I think I can find the receipts with the part numbers. Unfortunately, the price doesn't sound that far off...the O-rings aren't cheap :(

Not a bad looking truck (even though I'm not a fan of tan interiors :D ) congrats!!

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Warden. If you can find those ford part number, I'd be very appreciative. The schematic Hansel Ford printed out showed the earlier O-ring configuration.

It never ceases to amaze me, I've been a member(lurker mostly) for quite a while and picked up a ton of information on these trucks, and I still learn something new every day.

Justin, Our trucks were twins, albeit different body styles. You've really put a lot of work into it, and it's a great looking truck!

Last edited:

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found what I think are the correct International part numbers in the parts bin:
***International Part Numbers***
Oil Cooler thicker ring 1804414C1
Oil Cooler thinner ring 1807563C1

And, I also found Diesel Crawler's tech article and Warden's page which plainly illustrate the 2 vs. 3 ring config. Great article! The last time I tore one of these engines down for a top end rebuild, I skipped over the oil cooler(and luckily, it didn't leak while I owned the truck.)

If anyone has the ford part numbers that would be great, as they are closer than an international dealership.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726