I'M BACK!!!! Rehabilitation of Benny

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear brake shoes are replaced, caught it just before the rivets started gouging the drums. While I was in there I removed the air bags since they really weren’t doing much good…. See picture below.
I loosened up the transfer case shifter bracket and pryed it forward. The shifter goes a bit farther into 4-hi and the light comes on, but it doesn’t seem to be enough. Need to play with that some more.
You must be registered for see images attach

What the heck was rubbing on the Bags to do that?

I have what looks like what you posted, and don`t see
anything to hit or rub on them. Did the bolts get loose?
Those are the Fire Stone bags. Sure do help when loaded,
or attaching the Car Trailer.

Goat

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the heck was rubbing on the Bags to do that?

I have what looks like what you posted, and don`t see
anything to hit or rub on them. Did the bolts get loose?
Those are the Fire Stone bags. Sure do help when loaded,
or attaching the Car Trailer.

Goat
The rear tires... PO put wrong wheels on that have too much backspacing and they were hitting the air bags.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that was a smart move. :idiot:

You can buy just the replacement Bags, and still use the same
mounting Brackets, if you still want to use them.
I have seen just the bags, don`t remember the price.

Goat

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that was a smart move. :idiot:

You can buy just the replacement Bags, and still use the same
mounting Brackets, if you still want to use them.
I have seen just the bags, don`t remember the price.

Goat
I was hoping the bags could be replaced without everything. Thanks for confirming. This is the long term goal. I will need to find some proper wheels to avoid the issue. For now I am going to run as she is. The most I typically haul is my 25ft travel trailer. My 87's handle it without squatting much at all, so I am hoping that is the case with this truck as well. I will find out this afternoon as I am packing up to head out with it for the weekend.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PICTURES!!! ;Poke
I was really too busy to take many, but here is one all loaded up and ready to head for home yesterday.

And one with my lovely wife from out on the trails.

Truck did good other than an episode of rear brakes dragging bad enough to smoke for about ten minutes after I pulled over. I think I need to replace the back parking brake cables. After letting them cool and banging the cable split bracket forward I had no further issues.
EGTs stayed fairly low, water temp got up to 230 once on a long climb, but otherwise stayed below 200. I might need to replace the fan clutch.
I had to really watch the boost. A couple times I caught it past the max on my gauge of 15 and almost back to 1! Thinking about turning the fuel down a bit.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Although it's hard to tell, it looks like at least one of those bikes was designed to burn oil. :Thumbs Up

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well I like one of them anyway. Honestly, the 300 4 strokes were pretty decent bikes from what I understand. I didn't realize that anyone was still making them. Either that or you put fairly new graphics on your wife's bike.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it looks like the R&D is capable of easily reaching 20 PSI. What was the smoke like? Just curious, because I haven't been following the aftermarket turbo kits too closely for the last couple years. Congrats on the new truck BTW.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I like one of them anyway. Honestly, the 300 4 strokes were pretty decent bikes from what I understand. I didn't realize that anyone was still making them. Either that or you put fairly new graphics on your wife's bike.
Yes the 300 4-stroke is a great size, a few companies make them these days. These are both Shercos, a smaller up and coming brand. The 4-stroke is a 2017 model that I bought new and rode hard for 5 years, before she took it over. It has held up great.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it looks like the R&D is capable of easily reaching 20 PSI. What was the smoke like? Just curious, because I haven't been following the aftermarket turbo kits too closely for the last couple years. Congrats on the new truck BTW.
Thanks David! I would believe the 20psi, but without studs I am hesitant to push it much past 15. Not much smoke, if I shift up to 3rd and use a bit too much of the skinny pedal I have seen a decent amount of black roll out. Since I am old I try to avoid this most of the time :)

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been a busy month since I last posted an update. We spent two weeks on vacation in Idaho. Mostly at the sand dunes near Saint Anthony. Good times! Some of the dunes are huge. Picture below shows 'Devil's Dune' the little spec way out there is the wife on her bike.

Our group at sunset on the last evening.

We also took a day trip to Yellowstone and a separate day to the Grand Tetons and Jackson hole.
Prior to the trip I had a number of things on both bikes and on the 2006 to get prepared. Yes we took the 6.0, Benny had to stay home.

Now that we are back and settled back in I have started on a few small things with Benny.
I got tie down points installed! Can never have enough :) With the eye bolt I put in for the front bed bolts, three tie down anchors along the side and the eye bolt that was already there in the back corner it will be perfect for the cargo net hooks.

Last edited: