Anyone offer rear disc brake convertion kits?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'd like to convert to discs when I rebuild a rear axle, does anyone offer the bracketry, or is it something I'd need to come up with myself?

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NapaBavarian said:
I'd like to convert to discs when I rebuild a rear axle, does anyone offer the bracketry, or is it something I'd need to come up with myself?

Does the ABS still work with the disc conversion kit?

What is the advantage to going with discs?

Mike

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disk brakes work better than drum so you can stop faster with less effort. They also are a heck of a lot easier to inspect and service.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
don't forget that when discs get wet they dry out much faster ;Sweet

I don't see why ABS wouldn't work as long as the wheel sensors are still in place...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like factory designed parts. been hunting for a '99 E350 cutaway dualie chassis for a disc brake rear. The memeber "Jaybee" was the first one to have done the swap and mod.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how would this works with the factory master cylinder, which is designed to work both a drum and disc system, thus has 2 different sized pistons internally, and sends different amount of fluid to the rear than the front.

Would you have to replace the master cylinder also?

Zigg :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zigg said:
I'm just wondering how would this works with the factory master cylinder, which is designed to work both a drum and disc system, thus has 2 different sized pistons internally, and sends different amount of fluid to the rear than the front.

I don't think that the master has to be swapped. The reason the rear brake reservoir is smaller and in front is so that the front brakes will get set-up before the rear brakes take hold; this is to prevent the rear from grabbing and sliding around.

Discs are so much better than drums in so many ways.

Much simpler to work on; you can actually see them without opening the tool box.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
towcat said:
I like factory designed parts. been hunting for a '99 E350 cutaway dualie chassis for a disc brake rear. The memeber "Jaybee" was the first one to have done the swap and mod.

Thanks, I'll check into it.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
zigg said:

Might need an adjustable porportioning valve.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
zigg said:

zigg-
i am running a f450 master cyl on my f350 with no negative results whatsoever. "full monte" is also doing the same as well and has nothing negative to say either. of course, both are hydro units. I would highly reccomend a hydro conversion when going four wheel disc due to the fact that it takes higher pedal effort on disc brakes.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
zigg-
i am running a f450 master cyl on my f350 with no negative results whatsoever.

After reading several references to swapping 350 master to 450 master, I went to the auto-parts and had them lay both on the counter in order to ascertain what might need be done to swap.

They were identical in every way; except, the 350 came with the reservoir attached and the 450 came minus the reservoir.

Did I miss something??

What year model 450 masters are bigger??

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
Its the internal dimensions that are different. The f-350 master uses an 1 1/8" bore and the later 98 F-350 uses an 1-1/4 bore diameter and the f-450 uses a 1 5/16" bore diameter I believe they are the same external casting just reamed for different bores.