If you missed the previous posts, they are linked below:
Start Here
Second Update
Third Update
Fourth Update
Fifth Update
Sixth Update
Seventh Update

I got the valve covers cleaned up and prepped. I then installed them with new Victor Rienz gaskets. The gaskets were lightly coated with silicone. I prepped the entire engine with BrakeKleen and put a freash coat of IH grey.
You must be registered for see images

The dip stick tube was next. Be sure to install the dip stick tube (with a new o-ring) before installing the passenger's side exhaust manifold. It's much easier than after the manifold is on the head.

The motor mounts were installed. The bolts require locktite and 75 fl/lbs of torque. Install the driver's side mount before you put on the oil cooler. You can't get it on the block very easily with the oil cooler in the way.

More to Follow:

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The exhaust manifolds were painted in high heat paint. They'll look good for a few miles at least.

Exhaust manifold gasket. Driver's side.

The bolts require lots of antisieze to prevent them from corroding and making them difficult to removed or breaking off when removed.

Driver's side. The bolts require 35 ft/lbs of torque per the factory sequence.

Exhaust manifold gasket. Passenger's side. Make sure the dip stick tube is installed before the manifold.LOL

More to follow:

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With some extra time to kill, I prepped, cleaned, and painted the damper and pullies.

The big block Chevy fuel pump block off plate was installed. New gasket with silicone on both sides to prevent leaks.

Block heater and block drains were installed.

The oil cooler was cleaned of old oil and coolant. It was then prepped, and painted. The o-rings have 2000 miles on them and they weren't leaking, so the oil cooler wasn't rebuilt. Again, make sure the motor mount is installed before you put the oil cooler on. Be sure to put a thin layer of silicone on the gaskets to prevent leaks.

Glow plugs installed with antisieze on the threads.

6.9 is now rebuilt and waiting on the Moose IP and Moose injectors.

There she sits. I need the Moose stuff to proceed much further. I can and probably will mount the turbo if the fuel parts are going to be a little bit. In the mean time, I'm looking for intercooler parts.:sly

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Heath that's fantastic! :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see the final product in person.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath that's fantastic! :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see the final product in person.

;Sweet It looks awesome, Heath.

Ron and Rob........ Thanks guys. It's getting closer and closer to being done. I really wanna get it in the truck and see how it pulls, but I've gotta get some more parts here 1st.

By the way, I just bought a 7.3 intercooler.:D:love: Hope to have an intake hat by the end of the day. Then, it's finding tubing and boots.

Ron, what's the name of the website you were telling me about with the intercooler parts?

Heath

wmoguy

Reaction score
man that thing is a beauty! How about some picks under the hood? An engine that clean has gotta go in a clean engine compartment! :thumbsup:

suv7734

Reaction score
Looks great Heath! ;Sweet

Try these guys for your intercooler stuff. I haven't used them for a while but they were good to deal with.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel used an ebay source local to me here in so ca. I don't recall the name but the place is in El Monte Ca. He bought his intercooler and pipeing from them and felt it was well made products. Heath.. That grey paint makes the engine look so stock... But we all know its a sleeper don't we....:sly And guys.. If this is going in the brown truck that truck is a masterpiece of cleanlynees. It was originally from Ca and the other owner was a member here and he sold it to Heath about a year after he took it to Ohio I think...kept it spotless inside and out.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great Heath. It's nice to see your taking your time and doing it right.
Thanks man. It's definately taking up my time alright.LOL

man that thing is a beauty! How about some picks under the hood? An engine that clean has gotta go in a clean engine compartment! :thumbsup:
There ya go.:D Not much to see yet eh?:rotflmao

:love: Oh dang! Lookin good!
It had better run good as well. If she lets me down again, I'm putting a DT360 in it.:eek:

Looks great Heath! ;Sweet

Try these guys for your intercooler stuff. I haven't used them for a while but they were good to deal with.
Thanks for the link. I think that's the one Ron was telling me about this weekend. They've got a ton of stuff there. Should have no problem finding everything I need for the IC.

Heath

wmoguy

Reaction score
Thanks man. It's definately taking up my time alright.LOL

There ya go.:D Not much to see yet eh?:rotflmao

It had better run good as well. If she lets me down again, I'm putting a DT360 in it.:eek:

Thanks for the link. I think that's the one Ron was telling me about this weekend. They've got a ton of stuff there. Should have no problem finding everything I need for the IC.

Heath

In a sick and twisted and slightly selfish way, I'd really like to see that under the hood. :angel:

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath -

The tips on assembly are a big help and the pic are outstanding! I'm printing your updates at home off our color printer. Using those and the factory manual is gonna make assembly a piece of cake! ;Sweet Where did you find your engine enamel? A while back, I stopped by the Navistar dealer in Tyler and asked for some IHC gray engine paint. The counter guy looked at me and said "We use Rustoleum gray. You can find it at Walmart." OK..... :dunno