Another update on the 6.9 rebuild.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a sick and twisted and slightly selfish way, I'd really like to see that under the hood. :angel:
WHAT??? :backoff:backoff:backoff

Don't jinx me.:DLOL

Heath -

The tips on assembly are a big help and the pic are outstanding! I'm printing your updates at home off our color printer. Using those and the factory manual is gonna make assembly a piece of cake! ;Sweet Where did you find your engine enamel? A while back, I stopped by the Navistar dealer in Tyler and asked for some IHC gray engine paint. The counter guy looked at me and said "We use Rustoleum gray. You can find it at Walmart." OK..... :dunno
Rustoleum makes a good engine paint. I used the "Ford Grey" (IH grey:D) on my 6.9.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you haven't installed the harmonic balancer yet?

Yeah. I will certainly rotate the crank when I install it (that bolt takes 90 ft/lbs). Since I don't have my IP installed (waiting on Moose goodies LOL), my IP timing gear is without much support. It's not supposed to jump time on the cam gear with the IP gear housing on, but I'm nervous about rotating it with no IP on there. So, I'm waiting for the IP to put the balancer and it's pulley on.cookoo:D

Heath

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a very good reason! I actually didn't think about that...when I did mine, the engine was in the truck, so it was a simple matter of putting the transmission in gear, making sure the parking brake was set and the wheels chocked, and going to town :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath... Any spare injection pump will work as a place holder:angel:
Make sure you place a dab of rtv on the keyway end or oil will creep out there and really mess up the front of the engine fast. Actually you can smear some on the washer too but its not likely any oil will creep along the dampner and shaft. Thats a tight taper fit. Most think its just a tight fit but its really a very slight taper inside the dampner. The more it goes on the crank the more it interferes and tightens up.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually put silicone on the key and on the washer. Keeps the oil where it should be.

I have the old Ip with the lines sitting in bag on the shelf. It's such a quick job to get the balancer and it's pulley on the crank, I'll just wait for the IP to get here from PA.;Sweet Really, I'm kind of waiting for that stuff at this point. I can play with the turbo stuff some, but I really want the fuel parts on the top of the engine before screwing around too much with the turbo.

Heath

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good I like the grey. What kind of intake hat are you getting and from where?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real nice job on your engine, Heath.;Sweet;Sweet

:hail Great Job :hail

Lovin the updates. Also like how u provided previous links. These will definatly be bookmarked in case i decide to rebuild my enigne.
Thanks guys. It's coming along. I wish I had more time during the week to work on it. All I've got is the weekends and only then if work leaves me alone.LOL

Looks good I like the grey. What kind of intake hat are you getting and from where?
I'm going to use a ATS/Factory turbo intake hat like snaponprofile used. I'm hoping to have the IC here next week. The intake hat is on it's way. I've got a good friend that has the ability and skill to weld aluminum pipe. We'll tackle the plumping when the time comes. I'm likely going to get a "Large Universal IC pipe kit" from Siliconeintakes.com as I have no way to bend the 3 inch aluminum pipe. I'll get the silicone boots from them as well.

Still not sure if I'm going to hook the CDR back up to the same location, use a RDT, or hook it into the cold side of the IC pipe.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The cdr wont work in the cold side of the intercooler tubes. Reason is there is pressure on that tube. It needs to be on a suction side of anything.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cdr wont work in the cold side of the intercooler tubes. Reason is there is pressure on that tube. It needs to be on a suction side of anything.

True, but I thought about using a ball valve or something like that. You know, something similar to what guys have used to dump a RDT into the exhaust.:dunno Still kicking around ideas.LOL

Heath