Another update on the 6.9 rebuild.

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. . . You know, something similar to what guys have used to dump a RDT into the exhaust . . .

On drag race cars, I have typically seen check valves that were used on some AIR systems (the ones with 1/2" NPTF threads and a hex on on end, and a 5/8" hose nipple on the other), tied into the header collector at an angle (which will draw a vacuum on the smaller pipe coming in at an angle) to evacuate the crankcase.

Don't know how well this would work on a low-rpm diesel though. On the VW diesels, modifiers used to call the road draft tube the "elephant trunk", and some would put a soup can underneath to keep the rig from marking its spot. Downside to the elephant trunk is that in freezing weather, it can freeze up solid which leads to crankcase pressure going elsewhere (which is almost never good). My 1997 VW TDI engine actually has a tiny electric heater at the point where the crankcase vapor tube enters the air intake between the airbox and the turbo.

Let us know what you end up doing on this, which I'm sure you will!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my reading, the exhaust venturi with a check valve seems to be a good system. I've talked it over for a bit with Dad last night, and he's a big fan of just standard RDT, which is fine. But, I just don't want a smokey fog spitting an oily cloud all over the under belly of the truck. And, I don't want the "Hey buddy.........I think your truck is on fire" comments at stop lights and drivethrew windows.LOL

By the way, I was wondering if anyone had a injector seat cleaning tool? My seats are not bad, but I'd like to use the tool before putting in my injectors.......... that is if anyone had one close to me. I may look on eBay for one as well.

The intercooler is supposed to be here on the 29th. Can't really start on that part of the project until the engine is in the truck and the front clip in back on. But, I need the fuel parts so I can install the engine. Hope to hear the Moose stuff is on the way soon.:love:

Heath