2nd blown oil filter gasket and coolant mixing with oil? Help with isolating the causes?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
1) could this crater be a cause of a coolant mix problem?
Possibly, but I tend to doubt it. Any fluid that leaks out there should, in theory, go out that valley (as you called it).
2) should there be extra rtv fluid in the valley between the coolant and oil ports?
I really don't see why there should be.
3) are these metal gaskets good enough or should I switch to a felpro gasket?
I've never used them on a IDI engine. I believe that they were used for all of the 7.3PSD engines, but I may be wrong on that one. In fact, I hadn't even seen the metal gaskets for a IDI until recently.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I’m Starting on reassembly now with the new oil cooler bundle.

Decided to go with the siliconed felpros for this reassembly since a similar material (different brand) sealed up nicely to the block.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I haven't seen the black with blue silicone gaskets before. I guess they still make improvements to gaskets for our old engines. On the other hand, if they're like the government, they may just make changes because there hasn't been any for a while and now they can charge more for the gaskets.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the black with blue silicone gaskets before. I guess they still make improvements to gaskets for our old engines. On the other hand, if they're like the government, they may just make changes because there hasn't been any for a while and now they can charge more for the gaskets.
yeah, could be. As long as it seals, I’m happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 3

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the black with blue silicone gaskets before.
The felpro i used on my psd oil cooler a few months ago were black with red silicone. I just picked up a set of felpro valve cover gaskets today for a 302 and they are blue.
they may just make changes because there hasn't been any for a while and now they can charge more for the gaskets.

The price has definitely gone up, $49 for valve cover gaskets.

James

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I need to press the end caps together just about 1/2” more

I think it’s time to take a break and go watch a movie with my wife

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The felpro i used on my psd oil cooler a few months ago were black with red silicone. I just picked up a set of felpro valve cover gaskets today for a 302 and they are blue.

The price has definitely gone up, $49 for valve cover gaskets.

James
I was surprised that I was able to find IDI valve cover gaskets for around $25 still. Could’ve been as low as $20.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big "O" Rings have to snap into their new home. You will know when they do, guess kind of like pushing on the Injector Return caps. They snap into place. Just takes more force to get these seated.

When I did mine, one end went right on. the other end seemed to take more force, then...Bang it seated.

Used my 20 ton Press. Used a little pressure, tapped around with a dead blow, lil more pressure etc...

You bought a new OC from Ford, right?
Not a Dorman?

I painted mine so it wouldn`t rust. It`s JD Yellow.

Goat

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big "O" Rings have to snap into their new home. You will know when they do, guess kind of like pushing on the Injector Return caps. They snap into place. Just takes more force to get these seated.

When I did mine, one end went right on. the other end seemed to take more force, then...Bang it seated.

Used my 20 ton Press. Used a little pressure, tapped around with a dead blow, lil more pressure etc...

You bought a new OC from Ford, right?
Not a Dorman?

I painted mine so it wouldn`t rust. It`s JD Yellow.

Goat
You caught me, it’s a dorman. Found it on Amazon for $250 and I figured my luck could be different.

Tell you what, though. My buddy sent me a Row52 link to an “1989 7.3idi turbodiesel”that hit the u pick u pull yard this morning.

I did a double take.

The site posted the VIN# and everything.
I grabbed of the tools that I could on short notice and then I scooted up there to see if it still had a factory & complete turbo kit on it. Given that it hit the yard day off, *there is a chance*.

I told myself that even if “7.3idi turbodiesel” was an accidental misnaming, then I could still grab the radiator and all the other odds and ends like the valley pan gasket, and hey maybe a working oil cooler.

I find the truck in the yard and it looks good. I’m still thinking *there’s a chance*. My chest has butterflies.

I walked up to it and the turbo was gone. Alas, it was not a turbodiesel. And had I zoomed in on the row52 photo at the beginning first place, I would’ve likely seen that it wasn’t before going there.

Turns out it had the CDR valve in the non turbo config and nothing about it was a turbo

My $600ish complete factory turbo lucky sonofagun find eludes me, for now.

Last edited:

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The important part is that I got an oil cooler from the f350, and it looked good coming off. It could be promising

I got all 8 bolts threaded into my motor now. I got rained out for the night so I’ll pick it up tomorrow

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It`s always a krap shoot the parts you want aren`t there.
Pull as many parts as you can, one day you won`t be seeing these in the yards.
If you can, pull the whole engine if it turns over.
Can`t have too many parts.

Last one I saw was a 93 last fall. Pulled the GP`s and 2 cyl they were rusty, so blown HG or ?
saw lots of orange RTV on it.
Was picked over pretty good. But did get the Manifold, valley Pan, Rockers, push Rods, and both Ex manifolds. Didn`t think about the OC.

I pulled a 7.3 out of a 89 that wrecked. 25% off and out the yard was $341, w/o Alt., Starter, AC Compressor, Air Cleaner. I knew it was a driver at the time.

You can sign up on row 52 and put in what you are looking for, and they will notify you when it shows up.

Goat

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without reading all of this if you use the metal gaskets that's your problem they don't work. They had one job and could have made a stellar part and they screwed it up. That said I hope you didn't throw away your old cooler bundle that one's easily cleanable. I'm having custom thicker gaskets made for my oil cooler repair kits here's a link.