Another oil thread!

Sal

Reaction score
Amsoil has a great cold pour point which seals the deal for me.

A friend has a early 99 (the ones with the weird air filter) super duty for nearly 200k and uses the super tech oil.

Truck has 300k on it with out a over haul or any of the normal problems. Does seem too burn oil now though.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also did the oil test, conventional and synthetic in quart form about 20 years ago. Left them outside in subzero weather overnight and my dad and I both saw what a huge difference it makes in pour ability as well as the ability to stand up to heat in the summer. I was working for an oil jobber then so I used to get cases of synthetic oil for $20-some dollars (miss those days) and it was nice being confident in the product I sold, which was primarily Amoco and Mobil.

It was 20 years ago, and I have been a synthetic convert since. Between the extreme heat of working a vehicle hard in the summer and easier winter starting, I figure that the extra cost is worth it just on parts. I have never tried Amsoil, and for no reason but I have had GREAT luck with Delvac and Mobil synthetics. But that's just because I can't get Amoco anymore... ;-) And I will say that I used to run Citgo Synthetics in my truck when I lived in WY, and it was also a good product.

But to each his own, my dad will ALWAYS put STP additive in his engine oil, even with synthetics

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still old school. A cold morning here is +25f. Im not too concerned with cold pour points.heck i moved to ohio for about 6 months. I remember 0 degree mornings and i was running sae40 in my ramcharger back then.lol

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PwrSmoke..best reply on an oil thread to date.Personally,I will only run syn in my burn barrell.Lubiricity MAY be better..but the wild temp swings(oil temp) bothered me.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been using AMSOIL in the 7.3 IDI for 11 years now, I went 5 years 40,000 miles on one oil change and after all that time and miles I then bought a oil analysis and the results came back Good for continued use.
With those results I am called arrogant, idiot, liar, fool, moron, *******, retard, snake oil salesman, In todays upside down backwards Merica I can understand the hatred.

There is a reason Synthetic oils and filters are manufactured. All the people who are negative on the subject are those who have had the least amount of experience with it.

I decided in 1997 to buy Synthetic, I purchased Royal Purple $50 back then and poured it into a 428 Mustang I have, first start of the key I was sold on synthetic. Since then I wondered to myself if I see/feel the difference in oil then what other synthetic lube manufactures are out there? I found AMSOIL and after trying to become a dealer for Motul, Mobil1, Lucas Oil, Royal Purple, and a few other manufactures AMSOIL seemed to have the most friendly program going.

I am happy after all this time because it has helped me tremendously in all these years.

If anyone needs/wants help understanding what is needed to keep your truck on the road longer between oil changes I am always ready to help.

Just have to ask.

Javier

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pour viscosity in cold weather is a factor in any synthetic, not just a single brand. I have many cars that I have put lots of miles on. On my turbo cars, I run synthetic for 10k miles. One 250k mile engine I tore down for a rebuild because of low compression showed minimal wear on the bearings. Others have showed similar bearing wear. No sludge on any of them.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Go with what works and what you desire. I spent hours researching it, and after tripping over many "get amsoil!" "testmonials" (aka reps/salesmen) I settled on rotella. So far it's fine, but if nothing works with that, i'll switch back to the mobil it probably had according to the writing on the filter...

There is a lot of clutter and market drive misinformation with oil. Stick with what works for you. Oil becomes very aggressive like a pc vs mac debate. I happen to own both of those, so fight on! :sly

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If I was driving the truck a lot, I would invest in synthetic. But its only really seen 3000 miles in the last 3 years (2600 of which was Texas to Oregon), regular dyno makes sense. Otherwise that expensive synthetic just sits in the crank case, doing nothing. I just wouldn't have peace of mind on synthetic oil thats say 6 years old and has 5000 miles on it. Not the miles, but the time.
The 6.0 has Amsoil in it, and it likes it. My TDI's get Mobil 1 TDT and they seem to like it as well (no burn off). But then again my B4V gets 150 miles a week while my MKIV gets roughly 6-800 miles a week.

Last edited:

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score

Hate to be the one to say it but that article is not only biased but severely outdated. Every CJ-4 oil was rated poorly in comparison to CI-4. CI-4 oil is pretty much impossible to find anymore. It does still exist but you won't find it in stores.

Everyone was worried when CJ-4 oil hit the market there would be wear problems because of the lower ZDDP content. That's not been the case though and the amount they lowered ZDDP was minimal.

One thing most neglect to realize is that the CJ-4 spec was created because of the newer diesels being harder on oil. The newer emission equipment puts allot of soot into the crankcase. The oil has to be able to handle that extra soot and prevent sludge from forming. That extra soot handling capability is a great thing!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the toyota gets the cheapest thing out there, I have tried several different things in the ford, lowest burnoff and best oil pressure and temp variation has been delo 400. that is between rottela conventional, rottela t5, delo, and several others. The rottela t5 was only ran for 3,000 miles and the whole time it was all over the charts, oil pressure and temp were never stable, and when I drained it it was like water, so much that I was seriously worried about diesel being in crankcase until I smelled it. The vw gets rottella t6 on 8,000 mile change intervals and I have only changed it once and the stuff felt great when it came out, I might consider swapping the ford to the t6 for a little while and get uoa's but I would like to get a baseline uoa on delo first