Another new guy.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, im new, obviously. But im not really new to working on things, diesels arent my strong area though. Sure, i know how they work, what certain things do and why they do it, but if im ever out of line just reach through your computer and feel free to slap the stupid outta me. i also use the search function so i try not to make 4000 threads about the same questions that have been asked. ive built and toyed with some fast cars before, and dealt with standalone and piggy back engine management, but im glad that these 7.3s are so easy to work on. My uncle taught me most of what i know about diesels, granted all of that was about pulling tractors. still that gave me the basics, and the theories of troubleshooting and such.

i just bought a 93 crew cab 4x4 with the 5speed in it. Its a danged house on wheels. most of the systems work pretty well, my tach jumps around a bit, but i found the issue lies in the tach sensor, i have bare wires, so a lil high heat silicon will separate them and keep em from breaking. im doing a little paint restoration and SO FAR it is coming out nicely. The roof and hood need finished and some touchups need done on the doors. i'll get some pictures up of it once i get more than 5 minutes to myself. I did just score a set of 04 seats to replace my bench up front for 100 bucks, no stains, just a lil dirty, and the grey is "close" enough to the rear bench. Gonna get those fabbed up and bolted in tomorrow. im really not looking to do huge things with this truck, i just want it reliable and to pull a camper nicely. thinking about finding a stock turbo setup for it at some point. but before then i need to get the timing bumped, im pretty sure its about as retarded as i am!

this site looks to be one of he most active IDI forums on the net, i hope i dont annoy people too badly, and hope to gain more knowledge on these ol engines.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB. Since no questions, no comment. But good luck with her, and you'll love the 7.3. Not a race engine, lots of power if set up right.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, the silicone is a bandaid. im waiting for my buddy at the ford stealership to get back to work. he can sometimes get me lower prices on stuff. im also going to get my exhaust fixed, some moron pulled the old off right below the cab. my local exhaust shop has 20 feet of 4in exhaust pipe that they want GONE, and i picked up a large mangnaflow muffler for 10 bucks, its abou 24 inches long and 8 inches in diameter, should get rid of the raspy and tone it down a bit.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the exhaust shop changed their minds. went from an estimate of 135 to do my exhaust with 4" all the way back and a magnaflow muffler to 600 for 4" without a muffler. im disappointed in myself for not getting a written estimate. on the plus size it sounds like my girlfriend found me a 10' chunk of 4" exhaust pipe for 52.99 at oreillys. SO now to find an adapter to go from the 2 1/2 stock to 4"... back to using the search function so i can get everything ill need. just gonna use a long piece of flex pipe to go over my axle!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to OB, sounds like you will be plenty happy with your truck;Sweet A med. duty truck shop may have 45 deg pieces of exhaust allowing yourself to weld up a custom tail pipe if you have the tools to do so. Good luck, can't wait to see some pics.:thumbsup:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got a part number somewhere for a 4inch tailpipe, an early ps one does work.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id do that, but i just learned that my uncle has a pipe bender thatll do up to 8". not that im gonna need that, but its nice to know. so ill probably just run it straight back then clamp on a 90 fitting for now and have him properly bend it later

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most early power stroke mufflers and tail pipes are the same aswhat ourrigs can use. They are the same trucks underneath. Even the mounts are the same... Nappa sells the over the axle pipe for about $25.00 too. Ebay will be your best bet for finding the pipe adapters too.... Welocme to the best forum too...:D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My PSD has 3.5" does great, no need for larger. Deleted my muffler a few months ago, decided to put it back on. Went to a muffler shop, he had no 3.5", but his son had a whole setup in the back of his pickup, for free, used just what I needed to the rear and added this muffler 3.5" in and out, 6" dia. 8" long. The owner said that's good stuff, it's Browned stainless steel, that's what Ford is useing now.

Install either way for the sound, pic shows for less sound with cups facing the engine.

Attachments

• DVC01452.JPG
    DVC01452.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DVC01453.JPG
    DVC01453.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member