Another Milage thread...with surprising results!!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I made teh annual trip to the northern part of Nova Scotia to be with my girlfriend's family over a couple of days for Christmas. We decided to take the truck as the car still does not have the winter boots installed on it and we were expecting a little snow and ice up here.

I drove to the gas station about a mile or so from home and topped her off. I crawled up onto the highway andf drove on the highway for 2.5 hours. I only burnt a little less than 1/4 of the front tank.

Here is the math I have come up with.

175 kilometers (109 miles) and I burnt 22 liters (5.8 US gallons)

So if i worked it out as this...

175KM\22 liters = 7.95 kilometers per liter

OR...

109 miles\5.8 US gallons = 18.79 miles per gallon US

OR

22.5 miles per gallon for us Canadians!!

I was amazed at the milage I am getting I only ran at double nickel the whole way up with the cruise on.

I am running 245/75R16 Mud Terrain KM's with 3.55's, E40d and a 7.3 N/A in an extended cab long box 4x4 F250 with about 300 pounds of crap in the bed and about 500 kilometers overdue for an oil change and the pump turned up 1.5 flats over factory and a glasspack muffler.

Is this a crazy number to be getting, or is this within the high average for these trucks without many mods?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The right foot effects the mileage so much and as you can see keeping the R's down and I'm sure you weren't jack rabbiting from stops paid off. What you report back isn't out of line for what I would expect a decent running IDI to be able to turn.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is amazing how just slowing down affects fuel mileage!! I find it so hard to just go 55 though....it just seems like you are crawling! LOL

Which begs the question....was that 55 mph or 55 kph? If it was kph then that musta really seemed like you were crawling!!! :rotflmao What is that like 34 or 35 mph? But it would definately explain your great milage!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I was running 55 MPH...the Maximum legal limit on ALL of Nova Scotia's HWY's are between 62 and 68 Miles per hour (100 to 110 kilometer per hours) I do most of my driving in the pickup on surface streets at about 30 - 35 MPH. And with the dump truck, unless I am REALLY trying to set a record for loads hauled I usually run between 50 and 60 MPH.

I thought I would be getting 17 Imperial MPG at best, 22.5 REALLY shocked me. I am happy with the results.

My dad is his 1999 24V ram is only getting 17 - 19 MPG imperial on the highway and about 16 in the city....mind you he has a little more power, but I have the simplicity!

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
yea im not surprised. My f-350 CC 4x4 zf gets 20 miles per gallon US if i keep it at 105 and under

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that took me a min to realize it was 105 km/h and not mph...
I was sitting here thinking no way...how?!?!
then I saw you were from BC

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I took a 300 mile trip last summer in my truck and it amazed me how good the truck did on fuel. There was very little stopping during the trip and allot of time was spent on the highway doing about 60mph. It got to the point of where I thought my fuel gauge was broke because it moved so little.

It made me realize that the biggest thing that hurts my mpg around here is the stopping and going.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Final report.

I drove 365 kilometers total and I burnt 46 liters of fuel. That works out to 7.93 kilometers per liter.

It boils down to 18.6 MPG US and for us still on the Canadian system, it works out to 22 MPG Imperial.

I burnt a little over 1/2 of the front tank going 226 miles....I am thorughly impressed.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
good numbers and not out of line. my old single cab na got right around 20 most of the time on the highway. if it is flat and you keep it steady in the 1800 range that is where you will get the best mileage.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I had a single cab 2wd 6.9l that I took on a roadtrip once and got 21.7 mpg goin 55 mph the whole way. Had a supercab 4x4 zf5 7.3l truck that I got 18.1 mpg on a trip from Klamath Falls, OR to Winnemucca, NV. Speed is the ultimate killer for mileage with these trucks.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speed is the ultimate killer for mileage with these trucks.
What he said. I've gotten 20 mpg out of my truck, with a ZF5 and 4.10 gears :shocked: ...but, that was with a straight freeway run on flat ground at 55 mph indicated (probably 50 mph actual). In reality, I get 16 to 17 on average....considering I generally drive with a light foot and have been using my truck more as an empty commuter than anything else as of late, I don't think that's too bad... ;Sweet towcat would blow a gasket, though :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I saw those kind of #s but mine usually gets used as a commuter, but I need it when I tow or haul something which happens a lot between firewood and biodiesel brewing and a few other odds and ends. I'm getting usually 12-14 US mpg on B100 and closer to 14-15.5 if I blend in some D2. On the highway I really can't be sure, I saw a 15.9 on B100 to see gonecraizi in DeLand mostly 50-60mph but with high profile stuff in the bed. I believe if I drove it on a long highway trip at the double nickel, MAYBE 60 I could get close to 18, and if I had any type of OD maybe 20. Not exactly a prius but not a gas hog other...oh and way more fun and safe than one of those cars!

ferrellmedia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ran my first full tank thru my brand new rebuild and I'm getting 12.75 MPG driving the **** out of it.

I run a few, 4-5 miles each day on the highway at 75-80 steady and most driving around local urban roads light to light running ahead of the traffic both off the light and as we are moving, literally DRIVING THE **** OUT OF IT.

I thought it might be a bit low, but like I said, I've pushed it hard, so ....really not sure what to think about 12.75 mpg....