Another Happy Moose Pump Owner!

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've finished timing my truck and absolutely love how much better the truck performs with the moose pump. My setup is a 94 van IDI in my 92 Centurion 4-door Bronco with a pre-sidewinder banks turbo kit (non-wastegated), 4 inch exhaust after the down pipe, no muffler, mandrel bend over the axle to a 6 inch tip.

With my old IP, I would have 0 boost while cruising, and would only get 3-4 when accelerating while cruising. If I stuffed my foot through the firewall, I could get close to 9 lbs of boost, and my EGT's were never a risk.

With the moose pump, I now have a pound or two while cruising, JUMPS up to 5-7 lbs while accelerating and I top out at 10-11 lbs. I actually got a little more boost (12) with the pump a little more advanced (10 BFTC), but the driveability was better bringing the timing down to 9 BTDC. She smoked more at 10, but at 9 it's not too bad running around town unless I really get into it, and even then it's not the black fog that it was at 10 (I'm guessing I'm getting better use out of the fuel at 9).

The biggest improvement I have seen is that I have more boost across the RPM range, not just top end. She pulls a lot better now, starts better and doesn't struggle near as much going up hills (ones that would require downshifting no longer do). EGT's are higher, but I haven't gotten over 1050 no matter how hard I try. If I was towing and in some bad hills, it might be a concern, but for what I use it for, I don't think I'll ever be in danger.

No idea on MPG as 1. this isn't my daily driver, so it won't be until I need it for my next long trip before I can get a good reading and 2. I can't keep my foot out of it right now.

I have an electric pump installed, that I need to plumb which I'm sure can only help. But for now, I am very happy with my purchase!

Special thanks to Mel for a great product that delivers and to Gary (icanfixall) for his timing meter rental program - it was very easy, had everything I needed and he was available several times while I figured out what I needed to do.

MoMo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really happy you have the rig running like its supposed too. Its very true about trying to keep the right foot out of the fuel peddle...:D A Moose Pump and a properly timed engine makes such a dramatic change one could easily think a differant engine was installed. These engines are a known torque monster and coupled with a Moose Pump they will haul the beans nicely. Enjoy the new ride and thanks for the compliments about the timing rental program....:hail;Sweet

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really happy you have the rig running like its supposed too. Its very true about trying to keep the right foot out of the fuel peddle...:D A Moose Pump and a properly timed engine makes such a dramatic change one could easily think a differant engine was installed. These engines are a known torque monster and coupled with a Moose Pump they will haul the beans nicely. Enjoy the new ride and thanks for the compliments about the timing rental program....:hail;Sweet

No problem!

Just figured out that I can break a back tire loose from a dead stop...and for the following 100 feet! Considering this is an automatic, how much this rig weighs and the fact that I'm running 35's without regearing (no idea what factory was) I think it's very impressive! The old IP would never come close to that!

Man I'm loving this upgrade!

MoMo

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
HA that'ts funny! I sent you the meter, and I had just used it to time my new Moose Pump! Both the pump and the timing meter rental program are awesome. I am confident I won't kill my glow plugs in a year, and my truck flat hauls! Made my best time from Denver to Rabbit Ears Pass with the snowmobile trailer thanks to the Moose pump!

PZ

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, that pump is a really nice performance upgrade for sure. I can't wait to get my second Moose pump and second set of Moose injectors for my 6.9 crew cab. That'll make hauling the camper a bit easier. Enjoy the Moose meat!

Heath

Old Blue

Reaction score
How long has the turnaround normally been for you guys with the Moose pump and injectors? I can't wait to get mine!

DragRag

Reaction score
I know the price is not always the same due to the pumps being sent not being the same to rebuild. But, on average, how much do these pumps cost?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$500-700.

My turn around is going to be around 3 months because of the moose injectors and the EDM work on the nozzles. The pump was done a month ago.LOL

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both of my Moose pumps were $586.00 for the first and $560.00 for the second. Only one small part neded to actually be replaced in both of them. The better condition your pump is in the cheaper the rebuild is going to be...

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Actually, Mel moved to an average cost price system. I think it's something like $750 now per pump.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$689 actually. Baby Moose slightly less.

Glad you guys are enjoying the added power of the Moose!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If I recall correctly way back when I got my first moose pump the writeup stated that for best results the engine needs to be timed and an intercooler is a recommended addition to get all the pump can give you. That was about 5 years ago and I still have not installed one of my Hypermax intercoolers.....:cry: What a terrible waste.. But I'm getting soooo lazy these days... Seems to be getting worse too...

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, intercooler is definitely on the list of things to do, of course I'll need to find one first and then go from there. My pump turn around was very quick. I'm guessing since Mel is working off cores he already has instead of rebuilding the one I sent in that speeds things up. I think it was no more then a week to 10 days from shipping out to getting the new one in.

As for the price, Mel has already quoted it, I will simply add that I believe it was a great investment for my truck. I'm not sure there's much more you can do to get as big a jump in performance for that price as you can with a moose pump.

MoMo