AC thread - orifice tubes

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When you say you cleaned everything out before, did you remove the condenser and lay it flat to flush it out , or did you try to flush it in the truck?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say you cleaned everything out before, did you remove the condenser and lay it flat to flush it out , or did you try to flush it in the truck?

Every part of the AC system, including the condenser was removed from the truck and acetone blown through with compressed air until all the solvent came out the other end clean.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some more reading on Duracool's website and it seems that an initial oil charge is not required according to them. They say removing existing oil is not needed, but I put 8 oz of oil in at the time of charging so there is probably more in there than what should be.

Cooling efficiency seems good at higher RPM, but it just doesn't work as well at idle. I also measured the temperature of the compressor and the hot side and I don't think anything is overheating. The hottest parts got to 140F when the outside temperature was 90F in the shade. I think thats safe?

Rock auto seems to have what I need but I'll check locally just in case.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
If you put 8 in and flushed everything out it sohould not bne that much of an overcharge. As a rule of thumb, the compressor will hold 4 ounces, the accumulator will hold about 2 the evaporator will hold about 2 and the condensor will hold about 2. Since I am not quite sure what compressor you have dont count on the 4 ounces. those specs are what I have found true for most of htese components. I hope you did not try to flush the compressor because that will mess it up good.
If you flushed everything clear and charged with 8oz of oil you should theortically have about 14oz in the system (cannnot flush oil out of desicant). I think spec is 10oz? (gotta look that up) so you have a slight oil overcharge here. This is enough to start messing up performance. Now, if you put a new copmpressor in the factory usually charges them with a full system charge of oil in the 8 to 10oz range. If thats the case, you added 8 to that and now there is way too much oil for sure.
BTW, what kind of compressor is in the truck now? If its still an axial compressor and not a radial one it might be a Sanden SD508? Or is it still a ford compressor (FS10/FX15)? if its either one of those you should be just fine as far as compressor displacament. If you changed it to a compressor without enough dissplacement you may have created your own problem here. Certain compressors made for gas engines (particualrly smaller cars) have smaller dissplacements becasue they are meant to be driven by a 4 cylinder turning 4k RPM on the highway... Something to consider.

Ken

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor came out of a 1993 F250 that was wrecked (7.5L engine).

Looking online, I think its a version of the FS10 compressor. Only think I wonder about is the pulley on it. Originally, it was for a serpentine belt, so I wielded on the V belt pulley instead so I could use it. The V pulley has a larger dameter than the serp pulley.

I didn't flush any solvent though the compressor, just used it as it was. I did check to see if it would pull and hold a vacuum if turned by hand and it seemed to work well. Checked again when I had it off recently and it behaved the same as when I bought it.

burkhardt62

Reaction score
17961 US highway 441 summerfield Florida 34491
It is obvious you don't know what you're doing. You have probably done more harm than good. If I were you and I have the mechanical ability I replace everything in the AC system and take it to a shop and have them properly add the proper amount of oil vacuum system down and properly charge your system otherwise you are going to continue to throw good money after bad.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is obvious you don't know what you're doing. You have probably done more harm than good. If I were you and I have the mechanical ability I replace everything in the AC system and take it to a shop and have them properly add the proper amount of oil vacuum system down and properly charge your system otherwise you are going to continue to throw good money after bad.
Assuming that he still has the truck 12 year later

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

This is one heck of a first post. Comment on a 12 year old thread, with rude comments about someone you have no idea their knowledge level.

We DO NOT accept this kind of behavior here. Be respectful to the members on here, and you will get all the information you could ever need. However, if you decide to continue with this type of responses, you will NOT be here long enough to find out. There are other sites that seem to be fine with this kind of conduct, but this isn't one of them.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
hahaha, it took me a few posts to say " man ive read this before" Then I looked at the date, and laughed and said oh ya I have read this before when I was working on my AC, then I saw a new post 12 years later, and the posters very first post on this forum is bringing an old thread back from the dead 12 years later is bashing this guy, I almost fell over laughing.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
then I saw a new post 12 years later
I figure David was/got so good at AC repair & knowledge that his AC works so good for last 12 yrs he's just froze up! LOL
And yes lets keep it polite, respectful, & informative.....we all started out driving tricycles before we learned how to drive a bicycle!!!
OB best forum ever.....

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my AC dialed up to max all day today and my ears were still burning. Now I know why LOL

For what it's worth, I was trying to go cheap because I didn't have $1500 kicking around to replace the entire system and then take it to a shop. And yes, I did get many years of service out of this hack job from 12 years ago. It wasn't perfect, but it worked better than nothing.

The truck now has a completely new AC system and blows nice and cold. Again, without taking it to a shop and paying through the nose.

Here's an update for anyone who's curious: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/rebuilding-ac-system-on-1986-f250.80741/