94 460 mpg

RedTruck

Reaction score
I've got an 88 e350 extended van with 460 c6 and 3.54 s. All synthetic fluids and I'm getting 12-14 empty and driving 55 on the highway.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bronco gets 5-8 with lots of hard driving (when I can afford to drive it). Runs like a scalded dog, but in no way built for fuel mileage. My dad use be able to get around 10 out of our old flatbed with a 4 speed dually 4x4. It was a junk yard engine with a junk yard quardrajet on it.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that owned( maybe still owns) a 90 F350 Supercab dualy with the 460, he told me that no matter what, he got 7mpg. Didn't matter if it was just the truck pulling itself, of if he had his gooseneck trailer hitched up with 18,000lbs on it, 7mpg.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that, friends, is why there are 460-powered Fords all over Craigslist all day long for $500. I get twice that kind of mileage with mud tires and a lift :p
My tailgate came from a cash for clunkers 460 truck. Supposedly it ran perfectly before they put the crap in the oil to murder it. No great loss.

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe 7mpg is the worst u can get lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have an 87 f350 dump truck that my dad put a 460 with racing clutch in it lol. Couldn't figure out Y he put such a beast in it if it was just used to make money. Realized it's more efficient to have the power there than to have a smaller motor working it's balls off

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Kenda That's why I've been thinking about replacing the wimpy small block Chevy in my 79 3/4-ton Suburban with a minimum of a 'mild' 454, but more likely an 8.2 Detroit Diesel.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
In a recent trade, I ended up with a 94 f350 4x4 regular cab single wheel. It has the 460 with a c6 and 4.11 gears. This has to be the latest I have seen with the c6.

anybody have/have had a similar truck? I am wondering what I can expect for mpg. truck is 100% stock and 214k.

hmmm..... big block.... 4.11 rear.... 1 :rotflmao
seriously though, if you have to worry about mileage, get out of the 460

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try changing the intake manifold sensors water and air sensor , my 91 460 ran great with dirty sensors but the mileage went up when I changed them, the exhaust on these trucks are terrible take off the 4 ft muffler and anything else besides the catalytic converter( my truck passed deq with flying colors with just a cat) and check your exhaust manifold gaskets (mine were so bad when my mom took it on a road trip and had the oil changed and they thought it was diesel because of exhaust leaks)
I'm not sure about the 94's but I got tired of all of the air pump piping and junk associated with it and removed all of it and capped the air lines going to the catalytic converter and still passed deq with none of that junk
Also you can clean your injectors from home it helped alot on my truck

Last edited:

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
If you've got a C6, forget fuel economy. It has no overdrive. The key to fuel economy on these trucks is keeping them low on RPMs. If you're not towing, a 460 can get 18-20MPG with a overdrive tranny and a axle ratio lower than 3. However it's not good for much other than going around town.

Personally with O/D I get 13MPG at highway, 6-8 when towing.

Sal

Reaction score
Change the timing chain to an early 70,s one , the 78/9 up was retarded 8 degrees IIRC for emissions. That will help a bunch. then play with base timing and shift points to use the torque and that will help also.

I would just like too say that the 88+ EFI motors have straight up timing. It was only the carb motors from roughly 72-87 that had this factory (defect)

Just so theres no confusion on this subject.

Black dawg

Reaction score
And that, friends, is why there are 460-powered Fords all over Craigslist all day long for $500. I get twice that kind of mileage with mud tires and a lift :p
My tailgate came from a cash for clunkers 460 truck. Supposedly it ran perfectly before they put the crap in the oil to murder it. No great loss.

see very few efi 460 trucks for sale around here, let alone for 500 bucks;Really

Black dawg

Reaction score
I ended up getting rid of the truck in another trade, but mpg ended up a pretty solid 10.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see very few efi 460 trucks for sale around here, let alone for 500 bucks;Really

Well, there ARE less of them now, but they still crop up pretty regularly. Lots of them got scrapped in cash for clunkers, perfectly good running trucks except that they won't pass a gas station.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Well, there ARE less of them now, but they still crop up pretty regularly. Lots of them got scrapped in cash for clunkers, perfectly good running trucks except that they won't pass a gas station.

They'll pass EVERYTHING but a gas station lol.

Around here these old duallies are very common for $2500. All the time...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7