'86 Crew Cab Project up date and photos.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Cant ya use the "guts" from a 460 or PSD trans in the IDI case?

There was a post on this on another forum. While the differences in the cases are minimal, the guts cannot be swaped without alot of machining. But you can put s47 gasser guts in a s47 powerstroke case

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the status of this project now Heath? That motor sure is pretty. ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, I've been waiting on parts and time to work on it. Missy just called me and told me that my pedal assembly just came in (Thanks Zach). I had to order yet another part from Banks for my turbo.

The turbo oil drain was installed by (whoever had the turbo before me) next to something that was rubbing it. It apparently rubbed a small hole in the drain tube allowing oil to run out all over the place. I was wondering why that tube was so grimey and coated with oil. Didn't take long in the parts washer to find that hole. There was no way I was going to install that drain tube. I ordered one Monday and the gasket that goes between it and the turbo. It will be here next week.

What stinks is that I was going to have the turbo on the engine last Saturday. But with no oil drain tube......... I spent the day organizing Dad's shop with the Cat forklift. He's got a waste oil heater he wants to install and a huge tool box (his Christmas present to himself) coming next week. So, I was productive, just not on the truck.

Heath

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Heath The trucks looking amazing Im getting jealious ! I bet your getting excited to get it up and running! Im going crazy trying to get my project done :Thumbs Up

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Heath!! I need to come around more often! Looks great!! I just have one suggestion / reminder..........make sure you can get it out of the shop when you're done this time!!! :rotflmao:rotflmao

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow Heath The trucks looking amazing Im getting jealious ! I bet your getting excited to get it up and running! Im going crazy trying to get my project done :Thumbs Up
Thanks a lot. I should have my turbo oil drain tube and gasket today. I hope to have the turbo on the IDI tomorrow or at least by the end on the weekend. Then I can get the pedal assembly cleaned, painted, lubed and installed. The rat's nest of wiring will be tackled after the pedal assembly is installed.

Wow Heath!! I need to come around more often! Looks great!! I just have one suggestion / reminder..........make sure you can get it out of the shop when you're done this time!!! :rotflmao:rotflmao
Eric that's funny. Dad's shop has a 14 foot door. So getting it out shouldn't be a problem. But, I'm not lifting the crew cab like I did the F250 project. Hope you can make it to the Rally so I can show the truck in person.

ON EDIT: Part 2 of the project...... CLICK HERE

Heath

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There was a post on this on another forum. While the differences in the cases are minimal, the guts cannot be swaped without alot of machining. But you can put s47 gasser guts in a s47 powerstroke case

I take back this quote.
I was told by my reputable trans shop they put any zf(s42 or s47) in to any zf(s42-s47) all the time. But i guess you have to change all the guts, cant just swap pieces

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online