'86 Crew Cab Project up date and photos.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
:cry:

Looking good Heath. I've been waiting to see some pics of your work on the truck.

I miss it, but don't regret my decision to sell it. I'm glad you are enjoying it! ;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put a gas tranny in behind a 7.3 and i loved the way it drove. i would trade my diesel zf5 for a 460 zf5 any day of the week.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, looks great!!! I didn't realize you were so far along with it...and I'm impressed that you were able to get the front clip off in one shot; didn't think that could be done. So many things that I wish I could have done when I did my head gaskets in '04...

FWIW when I did my ZF conversion, the older style transfer case handle bolted right onto a spot on the ZF that was in the same location as on my old T-19. It looks and shifts as if it was meant to be there; never had a single problem with it in over 5 years now ;Sweet

Thanks Tim. Yup, the front clip comes off without a ton of fuss. For me anyway, it is simpler than pulling all the stuff out of the front of the clip and is very easy to get the motor in and out with it off as well.

I'm glad to hear that the shifter will just bolt on. It certainly looked that way, but I wasn't sure.

Rob: Thanks for giving me the chance to buy the crew cab. It is a great truck! I was afraid I'd scare you to death with these photos. I'm not going crazy with it, just sprucing it up a bit and adding a few changes that suit my preferences.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no mention of having the cam ground into the "torque cam" from Russ while you where at it?

Nope. Just keeping the internals all original. She was bleeding coolant from head gasket around the #1 cylinder and bleeding oil from the oil cooler. The studs are there to ward off future gasket failures since I'm adding a Banks turbo.

Heath

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Rob: Thanks for giving me the chance to buy the crew cab. It is a great truck! I was afraid I'd scare you to death with these photos. I'm not going crazy with it, just sprucing it up a bit and adding a few changes that suit my preferences.

Heath

my pleasure Heath. i know you will do the truck up right. glad you are keeping it IDI, since like I said, the PO saved it for me because i was the only prospective buyer who wasn't planning to swap a Cummins into it.

it is a little freaky seeing it all torn apart but i know it will go back together and be better than new. i do miss having a CC, since no one in my family has a car big enough to haul 4-6 adults. my next truck will be a CC for sure.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my pleasure Heath. i know you will do the truck up right. glad you are keeping it IDI, since like I said, the PO saved it for me because i was the only prospective buyer who wasn't planning to swap a Cummins into it.

it is a little freaky seeing it all torn apart but i know it will go back together and be better than new. i do miss having a CC, since no one in my family has a car big enough to haul 4-6 adults. my next truck will be a CC for sure.

Yeah, it was freaky for me as well. I knew that I was taking something a part that has been unmolested for close to 25 years. But, she just needed a little TLC. I thought I might as well swap the C6 for the ZF5 because I just really like having a manual tranny, I had a 460 ZF just sitting in the parts truck, and the "typ4" mods didn't seem too difficult (and they weren't).

My plan is to "unveil" it at the Rally this summer. That will likely be its 1st big trip after the project is finished. My long term plan is to pull a camper with it............. when I ever get a camper.:D

Heath

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You guys do ralize that if you used a ZF5 s47 out of a 95-97 powerstroke the ratios are alot better than the s42 that came in the idi

gasser ..........1st gear 5:72 reverse 5:24
idi ZF5 s42.....1st gear 4:14 reverse 3:79
PSD ZF5 s47...1st gear 5:08 reverse 4:66