7.3 idi turbo

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i was wondering if a 7.3 idi would be about to run a hx60 turbo? ik i need a cam and lower compression pistants but i have a new turbo that is for a 1987 400hp big cam cummins and someone said it was a hx60. i asked my buddy and he said the 7.3 wouldnt be able to spool it...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never gonna spool it. If you do it will be a lil laggy. If you get enough fuel sweet good drag truck. It will never pull a hill or anything gonna smoke like crazy an insane egt's

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you say that the Hx60 would be an expensive muffler in a compound arrangement? I really disagree with that notion. Like you said, Cummins guys use them in high power compounds but I have also seen it on some moderately built Cummins as well. Even what is considered a high powered IDI, we still run relatively low boost numbers compared to a Cummins. But at the same time an IDI needs more CFMs than a Cummins due to the cubic inch difference. So consequently, an IDI can run decently sized compounds and still be able to spool them. But the other side of that equation would be fuel. IMO you would need at least 150cc IP and roughly 40psi from a set of compounds to even be worth it. Both Justins ran around 40psi with a single and the engines seemed to hold up pretty well. There are also a few more guys that will be running that kind of boost soon as well. It should be pretty interesting.

Oh and one more thing, I agree that an Hx60 is slightly large but with enough fuel it could spool. It would be a bit harder to drive as a DD and I'm sure it would be smokey and hot. Compounds would definitely be the way to go if you wanna use it...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hx60's for compounds would be a horrible idea. Get a p-pump an turn it into a drag truck. I'm positive that turbo will not work in any possible way in a street truck period. You will smoke like a train probley white smoke. Oh ya wait tell you hit a strip of mountains done holes in pistons are on the way. Will not build boost fast enough unless your WIDE OPEN the whole way down the drag strip. You want a turbo that big look into a Vgt that opens top side that far. Don't believe this try it I seen it happen an now there going another route.