7.3 idi swap for 7.3 turbostroke

Egersund

Reaction score
Thank's for letting me in......
I have previously owned two 7.3 idi - E350 , and one 7.3 turbostroke. Now I am at my second E350-7.3 turbostroke. A 2001 model car......
The question here is about a friends 1992 7.3 idi.
He wants to put in a newer engine, from a 1996 7.3 turbostroke, but is a little worried about how much work it will take..... Is there any treads here that do explain this swap?

Attachments

• 20230925_111212.jpg
    20230925_111212.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 3

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been a few threads discussing this swap, but I don't think anyone has ever pulled it off. The biggest hurdle is the electronics. The IDI's are completely mechanical, with only the later auto transmission models having an electronic controller for the the trans. The later 7.3 Powerstrokes are electronically controlled with an Engine Control module that must go with engine and communicates with the gage cluster and transmission controller. The best way to do this would be to bring the entire wiring harness with the Powerstroke and swap it into the older chassis. Still not easy, but probably doable.

Otherwise, the mechanical side is just like any other engine swap. Expect to fabricate a bunch of things (mounts, exhaust, fuel lines, blah, blah, blah) and go from there.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Get the whole donor truck, and transplant as much as it takes to get it to run.

After two 7.3PSD trucks, i was done.

The factory Tidi is as far as i would go with a ford again.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is definitely a very involved conversation. If you have an entire vehicle of the same body style as the idi it is just a matter of swapping everything over.

I bought everything needed to do a 460 to idi convention on a 95 f350 about 10 years ago, afterwards I ended up deciding that was more work than I had time for.

James

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@u2slow if you don’t mind me asking, what was with the (2) PSD trucks that disgusted you?

Electronics, engine bay room, ...?

Thanks and I don’t mean to derale the thread too bad.

@Egersund why does you friend wanna swap in a Powerstroke vs just adding a turbo?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throttle by wire........yuck.........
Idk if Ford or Chevy ever got it figured out, but Dodge fly by wire accelerator pedals are just awful… carbureted engines pedals are so nice, you can actually feel the engine respond in the pedal… but what’s better is these IDIs. Just perfect. Perfect. Pedal seems too close to the floor, like not enuf travel, but the response and feel is wonderful. A 12V Cummins, with a VE pump, may be the only thing that exceeds it. A P pump seems harsher to me, but a 1st gen Cummins or an IDI just have beautiful feel to them…

CAT mechanical fuel pedals are too stiff, in most anything. Not in the cable, usually the throttle rod and return spring is just too strong

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
Idk if Ford or Chevy ever got it figured out, but Dodge fly by wire accelerator pedals are just awful… carbureted engines pedals are so nice, you can actually feel the engine respond in the pedal… but what’s better is these IDIs. Just perfect. Perfect. Pedal seems too close to the floor, like not enuf travel, but the response and feel is wonderful. A 12V Cummins, with a VE pump, may be the only thing that exceeds it. A P pump seems harsher to me, but a 1st gen Cummins or an IDI just have beautiful feel to them…

CAT mechanical fuel pedals are too stiff, in most anything. Not in the cable, usually the throttle rod and return spring is just too strong
Hmmm

Now recall that I have driven the fly by wire Fords, they do seem better, except for the doggy 7.3 PSD

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
@u2slow if you don’t mind me asking, what was with the (2) PSD trucks that disgusted you?

Electronics, engine bay room, ...?

Thanks and I don’t mean to derale the thread too bad

Hard starting, hard to troubleshoot, electronics, costly upgrades.... the van had horrible working room. I liked the F350 otherwise.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U2slow brings up good point when comparing to an idi hard starting is invalid as the same argument for idis can be used just replace the glow plugs and make sure your high pressure oil is good, the Huei injection system is way more complicated than mechanical or even common rail
Yes an idit is more powerful than a obs 7.3 about the same as a nbs obs
Benefits to the psd is they can go 300k easy before you even change injectors or really any major engine parts, the aftermarket support is easily 10x better and the tuning abilities is far superior than an idi
My family has owned several 7.3 psd’s for heavy gooseneck towing
I’m loyal to my idi but objectively the psd is the superior motor

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
U2slow brings up good point when comparing to an idi hard starting is invalid as the same argument for idis can be used just replace the glow plugs and make sure your high pressure oil is good, the Huei injection system is way more complicated than mechanical or even common rail
In my case, the hard starting wasn't about the glow plugs. And the high-pressure oil was fine once finally running. Lots of variables in between... thats the 'complicated'.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
But a set of PSD injectors costs 10X what a set of IDI injectors costs... and that assumes there aren't any failures of $$ electronic modules...
Not really a fair comparison….. It is recommended to change the IP and Injectors on an IDI at the same time, since they all wear at as similar rate…

A quick look at CDD and R&D, a stock pump and injectors are $1400-1500

I’m not sure on 7.3 injectors, but I know on stock, from Ford 6.0 injectors are $200 each… so $1600 for a set of 6.0 injectors, I’m sure 7.3 are less….

Not much difference in price, to do a tune up on and IDI vs a 7.3/6.0 PSD

Also, let’s not start the PSD bashing (especially the 6.0) Yes the PSD’s have their problems…. But all engines do. I’ve owned all 3 (6.9/7.3 IDI, 7.3 and 6.0 PSD) My 6.0 is all factory stock at almost 200k… and I am just now having 1 injector that is showing signs of needing replaced. That is also one nice thing with the PSD’s. You can just replace 1 injector and not have a mismatch like you would likely have in a mechanical injector, no matter the manufacturer..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online