7.3 idi swap for 7.3 turbostroke

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Well this is in comparison to replacing IP and injectors of IDI to injectors of PSD, as the PSD doesn’t have an IP, although it has an HPOP, which I don’t think is normally replaced with the injectors, but I could easily be wrong

With my past PSD frustration, i definitely think the hpop is on the table for replacement at a similar age/miles interval.

Dont forget things like the IPR, and wiring under the valve covers.

Theres also those injector seats in the heads.... not sure if thats a routine thing, or you'd replace one if there's a problem.

Black dawg

Reaction score
A lot of the stuff that has become normal failures, with all makes and models not just 7.3 powerstroke, as due to poor quality replacement parts.

As far as hpop replacement interval, I have only seen a few have trouble, and there is very rarely a week that I don't have atleast one 7.3 ps truck in the shop. I do see some ipr troubles, but same trucks generally end up with cold start troubles due lack of oil change related injector problems.......

Not trying to say either 7.3 is better than the other, just sharing my experience, and my experience is both are lacking in most trucks doing truck things, compared to a p pump
cummins......

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With my past PSD frustration, i definitely think the hpop is on the table for replacement at a similar age/miles interval.

Dont forget things like the IPR, and wiring under the valve covers.

Theres also those injector seats in the heads.... not sure if thats a routine thing, or you'd replace one if there's a problem.
That's good to know. Only the guy with the Super Duty is having issues, all my other friends with PSDs are gettin along great

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well this is in comparison to replacing IP and injectors of IDI to injectors of PSD, as the PSD doesn’t have an IP, although it has an HPOP, which I don’t think is normally replaced with the injectors, but I could easily be wrong
altho IP and injectors "should" be replaced together, how many IDI'ers actually do that? LOL

the facebook nerds still dont know what oil to run :DLOL

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
altho IP and injectors "should" be replaced together, how many IDI'ers actually do that? LOL

the facebook nerds still dont know what oil to run :DLOL
So far, I do that. Only once though, haven’t even had the truck a year yet.

Facebook? Lost cause…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I don't get on any FB pages except for the two from CDD.
I do look at Facebook Marketplace… but that’s all. Nothing more. Even then, I prefer Nex-Tech Classifieds. Craigslist seems to just be scammers these days

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've replaced injectors and pumps as a pair, twice. Chalk that up as another one who did it right.

Also, to throw it out there, I did the injectors in my dad's 2003 psd RV, Motorcrafts from a Ford dealer was about $2200 a few years ago. Didn't change the HPOP or anything else, except glod plugs and internal harness. All depend on how they were abused. Transit busses, not so much. Pickups? Probably bumped up to roll coal and do neutral drop burnouts

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
All depend on how they were abused. Transit busses, not so much. Pickups? Probably bumped up to roll coal and do neutral drop burnouts
Ironically, my problem-E350 was an ex-transit bus. A used hpop and new ipr made it mediocrely functional again.

I imagine it had a lot more hours than the miles suggested.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Probably right, probably had tons of idle time on it.
I my case, they just never changed the oil, so the injectors suffered from stiction.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just sharing my experience, and my experience is both are lacking in most trucks doing truck things, compared to a p pump
cummins......
I gotta confess that recently I thought about going to the dark side about a truck that would pull a car trailer with a street-and-strip car on it...and I was pondering my options...gm is out...as well as anything that has 'nerd' or '****' on the back bed panel...and...if I can't find a good Ford at a good price...that has a turbo on it...then I will start looking at cummins-powered trucks...with a manual trans...

I broke out in a cold sweat when I realized where my mind was wandering to...and took a cold shower as soon as I could...

Whew...I am not going to let 'Ol One-Ton know what crossed my mind...

Might decide to get temperamental on me...

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta confess that recently I thought about going to the dark side about a truck that would pull a car trailer with a street-and-strip car on it...and I was pondering my options...gm is out...as well as anything that has 'nerd' or '****' on the back bed panel...and...if I can't find a good Ford at a good price...that has a turbo on it...then I will start looking at cummins-powered trucks...with a manual trans...

I broke out in a cold sweat when I realized where my mind was wandering to...and took a cold shower as soon as I could...

I come from a family who has always had many Cummins. Good power, below 2500 rpm. Absolutely fall on their ass above that. It’s crazy. Those 6.7s are amazing at low RPMs, but put em up there and they can’t pull nothin. Keep er low and it’ll pull anything. Opposite of my V10, can pull a 28’ stock trailer up any hill at 80 LOADED, whilst getting 6-7 mpg, if you hold er above 3000. Cummins does it better though… but I’d rather mess with Fords, and rely on Dodges. Everyone has their preferences though…

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There's nothing wrong with wanting a Cummins, like the 300-6 of old there's something about 6 pistons pushing straight down on the crankshaft that makes torque. The problem is the ugly dodge wrapped around them..... remember what "Smokey the Diesel" says......"only you can prevent yourself from driving ugly dodges".....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86