1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thus far on log truck

recap time:

♠ MAINTENANCE & MODIFICATION RECORDS '93 F-Super Duty (F450)♠

@ 189,000 miles (mid Nov of 2013) vehicle purchased/before driven :
heavy duty interior wash,vac & shampoo & degrease engine
heavy duty diesel electric fuel pump for thermo king and carrier trucks.carrier transicold #30-01108-02SV
11 quarts of Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 Oil w/ Mobil 1 M1-601
Synthetic Fiber Extended Oil Filter @189k
two new batteries - duralast gold 1000ca/850cca/150rca #65-DLG
new positive & negative battery cables with all contact points cleaned,polished and greased.
same custom setup with marine style battery terminals like i did to my chip truck.
complete glow plug system circuit test (failed)
gp controller ground bolt removed,wire wheeled,greased and reinstalled (ground did pass.just preventive.)
motorcraft/beru glow plugs X8 #ZD9 (failed glow plug)
complete glow plug system circuit retested (pass)
throttle cable inspected for full throw and recoil saftey inspection = pass both.
water in fuel light circuit tested = pass.
new fuel filter.purolator #f54692
new hood/cowl seal #AM-48258289
rear diff flush w/mobil 1 synthetic gear lube ls 75w-140
fuel filter heater removed,tapped and plugged with pipe plug w/ jb welded threads (heater center electrical conn failure.)
replaced valve core in schrader valve on filter head (preventive maintenance.)
new gauge bulbs
glowShift triple pillar gauge pod #GS-346
auto meter z-Series 2-1/16" short sweep electric gauges.water temp #2635/trans temp #2640 / oil pres #2634
fleet charge coolant flush w/ upper & lower radiator hoses and 13 lb cap
coolant filtration Wix #24019 Filter Mounting Base and wix blank (no sca) #24070
upgraded interior dome light to '96+ model
installed rearview cam system same as chip truck
door strikers adjusted
brake fluid flush w/Valvoline dot 3 and 4 synthetic
ripped out the factory cassette and installed the old pioneer cd i had previously in two past 9th gen trucks now lol!
installed ez cool insulation under hood
duralast door jamb switch #SW1342
wiper blades
washer fluid motor
washer fluid elbow dorman HELP! #47092 says for vac,but it should be fine for washer fluid too.i hope :)
clear front corners,bumper signal and headlight assemblies w/relays installed for headlights
keyless entry installed
installed trailer tow package
updated pintle/ball combo
updated trailer tow plug 7/4 prong
complete,very,very detailed E40D trans harness inspection with plugs cleaned and greased
(someone already installed a repair connector at the bulk head.looks good,as does the rest of the harness and plugs.)
reamn E40D trans control unit.extra dim od light.verified ecm was bad by swapping them between trucks.
went with the same one i have in the f250 cus i think its perfect: #F4TF-12B565-AA (reman.)
transgo shift kit #E4OD-HD2
tach sensor #E5TZ-17B384-A
steering wheel cover

@ 189,000 miles (Jan of 2014 - April 27 2014) vehicle purchased/before driven part 2:
A/C compressor clutch connector dorman #85152
A/C low pressure switch connector dorman #85154
replaced interior a/c-heater vents
replaced fuel bowl w/ clear parker #21057 (with fuel hose extension ground off to clear valve cover)
4" round backup lights installed
banks 2nd gen sidewinder turbo kit installed (used kit) w/turbo blanket & exhaust wrap
fuel turned up 1 flat
3.5" exahust installed w/ dynomax/walker BTM #21470 and 4" dynomax tail pipe #54387
Intercooler Installed CX racing
fuel turned up all the way
drivers side front caliper napa SE4889
10" ADS culvert tube for overhead tool box
Underboody of dump bed and frame primed and painted w/ gloss black valspar tractor & implement enamel
MLPS: Motorcraft SW5978
shift cable: Motorcraft F5TZ-7E395-A
installed a used drivers side upper door hidge.
installed used spray nozzles and t's that leaked.
replaced wiper motor: Cardone Reman #40-299 w/ lifetime warranty
Pacific Dualies 7 Inch Braided Stainless Steel Valve Stem Extensions #18000
Pacific Dualies 180 Degree Valve Stem Extension #18180
aired up tires.most low around 50-55 lbs.topped up all 6 to 80 lbs.
front end greased.

@ 190k miles (April 27 2014 -
new torque converter recon fm64d
used '95-97 f5 high vol transmission pump w/transgo boost valves, superior k062 pump mods,new bushing
w/double stakes front and rear and alum drain back valve.
front wheel alignment
tire rotaion
napa west coast mirrors 7084 & 7117 with 5" Grote 28033 Mirrors installed
Dee Zee DZ2017 Brite-Tread Running Boards
stanadyne (new) g code fuel injectors
Delphi 7135-276 Fuel Injector Installation Kit
Motorcraft CX1448 Throttle Position Sensor
engine timing checked (and left as is) @ 8 BTDC/2k rpm via pulse method

and iv only used it once!:D

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Is that all?"

Just kiddning. Holy smokes you're really attacking this project, very inspiring!;Sweet

The TPS is the same identical one used in the Ford Fiesta from the old days, they are cheap!

(btw, you didn't include all the countless hours removing and replacing that E4OD... )

Please get some in-cab driving video!!!

Regards,
George

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work. Been following the thread, but hadn't posted. It's tough to call it quits once you been in it that far. Glad you got it working!!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe "extreme jealousy" would be too strongly stated. Incredibly well done sir.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you finally solved you leaking converter seal/bushing problem. Watching this thread has been like a soap opera... you just have to keep coming back to see how it ends. ;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the log truck story continues.......not much of an update in the way of bringing the truck back up to par.for the most part that's all done now.though there will be lots of cosmetics down the road (fresh tu-tone paint,more stainless and chrome.)

a little update though.so yesterday i was doing a smaller job close by.within 20 miles of home.i had chip truck full of dead wood/brush (dead wood is hard to chip and ******* chipper knifes) that i had pruned out of several red pine.the transfer station was closed,so i went and grabbed log truck.i filled her right up with brush too.a nice bonus of having all that space and completed that job.
she ran flawlessly and issue free.
so today before work,both trucks got dumped.well chip did.i have the auto crane (not yet bolted down) on log truck and the dump isn't lifting for some reason now either,so iv got to look into that.well anyway,so i learn log trucks weight.the lift gate is still up getting repaired and should hopefully be ready to install soon (the local shop doing it for me has been like me,very busy.not a bad thing.) but with the auto crane (about 700 lbs) log truck weighs in at a mighty 10,400 lbs.so the lift gate should push that near 11,000 lbs.still leaving me with a generous legal 2 ton payload.not too shabby considering how capable she'll be, outfitted with a crane,lift gate and dump right? ;Sweet

oh,i also learned the a/c seems to work just fine too.she's going to be a very enjoyable work truck.im very pleased so far.
also her second tank calculation is in.another just barely over 9 mpg.now with the tune up and no more short test runs,hopefully she can best 10,perhaps 10.5 mpg range.perhaps that's all the 5.13's will allow too.wont know now until i use her some more,but i now dare to take her out on a few real jobs further out.i think she'll prove herself just as reliable and dependable as chip truck......knock on wood.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At full boom length, how much will that crane lift? At what point would you need to consider outriggers if you're on ground that's not level?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At full boom length, how much will that crane lift? At what point would you need to consider outriggers if you're on ground that's not level?

she can lift 3,200 lbs max.she can stretch straight out and reach 15' and still lift 650 lbs out there.
You must be registered for see images

i'll have the local welding shop set me up with an outrigger cus i don't want to put a lot of strain on my dump bed since i'll be setting it right on the tail end and all the way over on the pass side.this way i can lift my logs and swing them right in with ease.can't wait! iv got a few monster spruce logs i saved and put aside on a large job back a month or so to break it in.some nice very large diameter 16' monsters.
that reminds of a side story off topic but it's a good one.i was climbing that tree.a good solid 100' when i got to 80' i cut out the top (houses around so i had to section it out,but i kept log truck in mind for latter so i was able to take out nice logs) a squirrel leaped from that sob and spread wide and glided all the way down and the top of that monster tree just missed him! when that sucker hit,he took off scooting lmao!
anyway,when i get her outfitted i'll go with the cam and take pics of loading her first sticks.;Sweet

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
im still waiting on the local welding shop to outfit the truck.iv got to get after them harder i guess.i need to haul more logs now too.wish i had time to check out why the dump isn't lifting yet though.been so busy im trying to recoup on the weekends best i can.

im searching hard for some land out in the country so i can build a nice big shop though! got some land in the works.if all works out i'll build a nice big heated shop i can fit both trucks in and tinker away on anything when work is slow/down in the winter months.that'll be perfect.

i called to get a price on swapping in a set of 4.30 gears but that shop hasn't called me back either.the 5.13's are totally overkill for my needs.........fun lol but overkill.id like to try and push the mpgs up over 10 with this one but i dunno.won't be used all the time,so price dependent i guess.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
flashing OD light.

you know how i used a pickups TECA (as i posted back along in this thread) that was a mistake.
so i pulled the codes and got the popular "62" - converter slip.
im like what? she's not slipping.so while working (i knew it was safe to use) the truck i payed close attention to what was going on.
shift into 2 - shift into 3 - no lock! - shift into 4th and locked.
so thinking why isn't she locking in 3rd? (thus why the TECA tosses code 62/blinking od light) so i shift manually into 2nd and hold it there until 25 mph and then shifted into D and she hit 3rd and then a lock.
ahh ah! so that's when i thought,i bet these steep gears just can't match the pickup versions shift speed setup of the TECA.
with these 5.13's she just needs the gears much sooner you see and the pickup version of the TECA says oh no,you can't lockup until your going at least this speed.since the f-450 climbs into her gears so quick she could lock up much sooner/lower speed.so with the F-450 spec TECA it must be calibrated for locking of the converter at lower speeds in short.
this is my theory and im sticking to it.:D

so though my F-450's TECA was causing a extremely low dim od light (not even a half dim light,of that matching no power) it still works just fine.
so what i'll do is toss that TECA back in and take it for a ride.i bet a nickle she'll climb through the gears and have the correct lockup call for her lower vehicle speed shifts.
if so,then i'll grab the correct reman f-450 TECA.all i see is the n/a version.i can't find that f-sd turbo spec part # reman teca anywhere.dang.

anyway oops.my bad on that one.don't try and use the pickup TECA in your F450 guys.won't work right.:D
(unless you were to swap in a set of 4.10's or 4.30's perhaps.then you might want to experiment.)

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just hauled 3 loads like this about 45 miles.she just did it like she was made for it.effortlessly.
she's got some steering wonder though.i need to grab another reman steering box for this truck.it's just about as bad as chips was.you've got to work to keep it between the lines (empty or loaded.)

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    936.5 KB · Views: 66

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What's at the front top of the bed?
Don't think I saw it in any of the other pics. Looks like drain/culvert tube.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online