1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, well, your situation is 200k on the trans, and plastic parts could very well melt/flow over time.

The remedy makes sense. I think if you can keep trans temps under control, that the plastic part would
last, but that's a logical guess. If you have chance to improve it, then do so.

One thing to consider, by just putting in a Boost Valve and Spring into the Pump, you will get much better
performance out of your transmission overall. Even the OD problem could clear up just from that one action.
Overall you will notice a change for the better.

As far as building for 600+ HP and Torque, I am not too into that, I just want to have a durable trans,
and upgraded from all the bad things in the pre-95 models. The stock E4OD HD built to '97 specs is
quite good and better in just about every way than the predecessor, the C6.

For me, I've picked only those mods which are upgrades for durability and moderate power. Is the Superior
kit for durability or power? I don't know too much about it. I looked at Front Pump issues and doing the F5
from the E9 was enough for me, plus the TransGo kit helps exploit the added capabilities of the Pump.

******just for giggles******
Here's my C6, original factory trans, DIESEL:
You must be registered for see images attach

(Previous owner was nice enough to keep the Case and Output Shaft pieces in a bag for me...:rotflmao)

(The reason I love this C6 so much, is it saved me a ton of money when I bought the van that it came with...ha)
(Actually the C6 is one STOUT F-n trans, if it only had an overdrive and lower first... ...oh wait, that's the E4OD!)

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow that trans lol!

yeah it's for durability/increased lube flow.for what it's worth,i had installed transgo's boost valves approx 10-15k miles before she lost OD and i had installed trans temp gauge and aux cooler so she never ran too hot.the thing is though,when working a trans the temps at the converter can get right up there.i dunno brother.your call.im making sure i do it.this part was very simple.
here is the valve sold separately:
http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2067

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Change that plastic POS valve. If you're not sure if it has been changed, check it. Better to be safe. :D

Oh, that crane was shipped to the wrong address. Its way to far north. LOL

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this pump shall not fail me one more time!

F5/F5.
superior K062 full kit.
transgo boost valve and spring modded.
bushing bore honed properly.
aftermarket bushing seam landed on oem stake pocket.skipped this location and made my own right beside it.
made stake pockets and staked at the gear side (tci mod trick as shown in the pdf but i staked front and rear)

pump housing slides onto converter flawlessly.she wont want to grab onto the converter hub and spin/walk.
now with 4 stake points and none at the bushing seam,this gal is ready for pump gears (installed properly this time lmao) lined up and put into the trans for one final install.iv got 'er this time.im tired of the trans pump nightmares.:D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 235
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 231

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
late night working on log truck............the E40D pump curse continues.so what do i do this time? i concentrate on making the bushing,gears and everything smooth.i mean perfect right? nothing's going to go wrong installing this trans for a 4th time.iv got 'er all together and i just know great things are to come,finally after all the blood sweat and tears.............nothing.no gears.no forward,no reverse,no manual 1/2....nothing.what's wrong now?

can you believe i never transferred the transgo boost valves back over? i had taken them out to put into the other pump body and forgot all about those.all focused on the gears and bushing,i completely space the boost valves.
since the pump cover to this pump was junk of course i didn't ever put anything back in the body,so it was just blank.....well it can't pump fluid without that lol.
oh my god,a 5th time? killing me.so i was determined to fix the mistake same day.i pulled the trans,converter and pump again,installed the missing parts,resembled and iv got it all lined up with a couple converter nuts,bell housing bolts and the cross member.we'll give 'er another go tomorrow to see if it's lucky number 5.
i couldn't believe i did that.still can't.serves me right.iv brought all this hassle on myself.should have made sure of things the first time and been done with it.cookoo

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read this in disbelief:

"oh my god,a 5th time? killing me"

Okay, this is beyond any hardcore test of will I've seen in a long while. A couple times ago I was thinking, "Man, if he does this
so many times, he's gonna skip some parts...!" Didn't mean to jinx it:sorry:

On the other hand I'm glad you're gonna get it done, and done RIGHT.

Now I'm wondering just how many gallons of ATF you've drained and poured back in?

Have you found any fast way to get all that fluid back in? I just put it down the dipstick tube, but figure you mighta come up
with a shortcut...?

Keep going!
George

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
im telling ya.it's getting insane now.if there's a mistake to be made,i'm making it.it's just one of them times where it's fighting me the whole way.about the only thing that hasn't gone wrong,is letting the coast clutch assembly fall out on me.knock on wood.all should be right with the world before lunch.she should be up and running smooth as silk and ready to have her engine timed.i predict no more trans issues for years to come after this......least there better not be lol.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
patience is a virtue.persistence pays off

yeah.never give up.sometimes projects shouldn't be so hard but just end up being that way regardless.it's Murphy's law.when doing things you just don't normally do especially.she's all back together,running leak free and she's got her gears back.iv got her within a quart or so i believe.i'll warm her up,take her for a little drive but i don't foresee any issues from here on out.the crank and flexplate all looked great and the converter is new.
i think i got 'er boys.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything's flawless here on the log truck show.things seem to be back in order.
the fluid level is right on the $ and she runs smooth,pulls super hard and strong with the heavily modified front pump,fresh G codes and a properly set TPS.
this thing's running clean (no more coughing black smoke) and hauls the mail!
it's time to continue with the tune up with checking the timing.;Sweet

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay it's time to Pop the Cork. Well done!!! ;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

Like they always say, "The 5th times a charm..."

Man, this victory must feel extra sweet...

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was so nervous and skeptical this time lol.i half expected a problem.i had a couple little scares.
1.the exhaust wrap on my banks cross over pipes got soaked ya know with the atf.that started burning off and dripping like mad once warmed up.i thought that was a leak for a few secs and made my heart race.
2.the little compression fitting i temporarily installed (i'll upgrade the lines from 5/16 to 3/8 now and ditch all the old stuff anyway) started to leak.just needed to be snugged lightly due to moving it around for the trans pulls.those drips had me going for a bit until i dropped under and inspected it.
but the bell housing and converter shield is bone dry.she's running and shifting super strong.
after another cup of joe,i'll run out and dial in her timing.
oh thank the trans gods! i was waking up from trans pump dreams literally lmao.now i can rest easy again.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I think you can change out a tranny one handed in 15 minutes now. LOL

Sounds like you got it done. Now you can drive it like you stole it. :D

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this evening on log truck.it's the final process of engine tuning with reading the engines timing.

engine timing checked = 8 BTDC via pulse right on the $. some prefer a bit more retarded to aid in quicker turbo spool (i have chip set at 7 or 7.5 BTDC.can't remember right off without checking records) some claim 9 is best.i personally have never gained power nor economy with anything past 8 BTDC myself and i notice i loose towing grunt and increased engine noise.
so since she's reading an 8 BTDC im running her right here.it's not worth getting out the wrench and fighting with loosening up those nuts and retarding it to 7.at least not until i drive it a bit at 8 for a while.with the very low gears in this f450 (5.13) she's not lacking off the line snap.:D

tools used:
Ferret Instruments V765-01 - Diesel Injection Detector wIth 1/4 inch clamp
&
Actron CP7529 Digital Timing Light
(however you need to switch back and forth to see only one display at a time; rpm or make light flash at set timing)
i suggest instead,using the one Mac got: Equus 3568 Innova Digital Timing Light which shows each display simultaneously for a bit easier use.

so shine up the #1 injector line and place the piezo clamp and ground wire on the line.
clean up the balancer and 0 degree timing mark.unhook FSS and "bump" engine over to find the line on balancer.it was pure luck it landed right on the 0 degree line.perhaps this is log trucks way of telling me.everything's lined back up and good between us again.:D
ground and power the light.
hook spark plug reading wire into loop of converter box and set the light to 8 BTDC (8 plus or minus 2 degrees.)
turn on converter/pulse box and rise engine rpm to exactly 2,000 rpm and read timing.adjust the lights timing until the two lines on the damper and balancer line up.whatever it takes to get these to line up during the flash,is what the timing is.

as a general rule;
the more retarded = quicker turbo spool and less engine noise.lower cylinder pressure (safer and easier on engine.)
the more advanced = might get some turbo lag and puff smoke on take off until turbo catches up.but might get a bit better economy (experiment.i don't.) increased engine noise.higher cylinder pressure.
as general rule; the more fuel you introduce,the more conservative you want to be on engine timing,due to the increase in cylinder pressures.use caution.if unsure,stick with 7-9 BTDC.pretty safe bet.
high end build idi engines with loads of fuel introduced may want to start at the 4 - 6 BTDC range.

log truck is tuned up with a reman ip (i see an IFS reman tag,however with unknown to me miles,but works good) a set of new Stanadyne G code fuel injectors,and fresh and dialed in TPS,and engine timing set at 8 BTDC.she's all set to go for 100k (knock on wood) and running like a rapped ape!;Sweet

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 8

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
on today's episode of log truck..............it's out with the old van? style mirrors and in with some west coasts.;Sweet
i picked up these NOS (napa) stainless west coast mirrors on ebay.installed with a pair of Grote 28033 5" rounds.angled for lane changes in both directions.really eliminates all the blind spots.
latter i'll put on a couple stick ons on the main mirror heads,top and bottom to eliminate even more blind spots and the stick on,on the bottoms provides quick and easy view of the underbody tool boxes so you can't leave one open without knowing.so they had really good mounts for the old style mirrors not just screws but threaded studs.so i opted to use most of what i could of the old mounts.i'll just need to clean up the front top mount studs (cut them shorter) and install some new stainless nuts and then space the mirror bracket from these ones up,or else move the whole mount up a bit.either way i'll address it so they're up even with the rear arms before she goes in for paint.
much nicer! now just like with chip truck,i can hop in and see behind me easily with no mirror vibrations.nice and rugged.

of course i used this time as an excuse to take it for another ride around town.had to check them out of course.;)
oh man,this truck is cruising like a caddy lol.

stay tuned to channel 444 here on the log truck show.you just never know (neither do i right now lol) what's coming next!:)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    758.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg