1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight on log truck..............log truck lives up to her name with her first log load.a dozen red oak logs.

8 @ 16' + 1 @ 14' + (in front of the crane) 2 @ 8' + 1 @ 10'

so i grabbed a battery on the way in to work (same as whats in the trucks.) it quickly drained not being charged well sitting on the shelf.so i traded one from the truck.it wasn't long before i quickly learned the thing to do would be to head to napa and grab my dump bed wire and while doing that,grab another wire to run from that back into the rear battery box.
so i had napa make me up a 15' to run from the pass side battery back to the dump body.then had them make up a 12' to run from the pump to the battery box.i ran 2/0 the whole way...........that cured what ailed her.leaving the truck running now,i had all of that 130A 3G right at my finger tips for the electric winch cable and she never gave any more issues.
so i fished the wire to dump while at work and rigged that right in.the section from pump to feed rear battery i just run temporarily beside the truck into the box.
so i grabbed a 150A breaker to protect the whole line,and a battery tray/bolt/tie downs and large wire ties to hold the cable along the truck frame on the way home.however i forgot to have napa rig me up a 6" piece to hook up the breaker to my battery.so i'll have 'em do that tomorrow as im working right close by.
so that's all the logs from this job.the rest is firewood again.

so a few final touches to permanently install the electric side of things and i'll have no power issues.

however,the hydraulic system on the crane isn't working properly (the seller informed me and we renegotiated the price so i got the crane at a real bargain)
the controller (pendant) or solenoids/wiring and or the hydraulic motors may be worn out.
for example on the electric side of things.you can't just lift the boom without also swinging it at the same time,or you'll just here a solenoid click.same goes for extending it.you can't just extend solely.need to swing back and forth to make in go out or in.it will lower on the single command however.when it does raise it had good power.feels full and strong.the swing power to swing the log into the bed however is very,very weak.the cable in/out works properly (full electric winch part,which made loading possible for now) so she needs some diagnostic work.but holy crap,it works well enough for now to now that once fully functional,it's going to be just the ticket.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 11

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh,she's going just fine but today the pinion seal in the rear axle started to leak.not sure a shade tree like me should tackle that one? i dunno how to properly tighten the thing back up.im probably better off taking it in to a local truck garage i trust nearby.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are all those red oak logs going to end up? Looks like real nice lumber.

I too, would have no idea about pinion seal repair. Seems like it should be easy, but it could be complicated too.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,red oak is great for flooring,cabinets,furniture etc.i'll be taking it in to a local log yard for $ tomorrow on the way to work.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
iv got a few monster spruce logs i saved and put aside on a large job back a month or so to break it in.some nice very large diameter 16' monsters.

i finally went and got these before snowfall.some nice ones.she defiantly needs some outriggers! had to cut a short log and prop it up under the bed to load these.that worked really good actually.she was tipping the side really hard without it.

Attachments

• spruce logs.jpg
    spruce logs.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 118

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah come on down we'd whip you up a set of outriggers no problem. yours'd be simple. run a pair of 4x6x1/4" tubes standing up under the frame at the rear of the truck. then build some pullouts out of 3x5 tube with shims to keep it all straight. weld an 8k capacity dropleg jack to the end of that and you'd be good. then tie up to under your autocrane with a beefy tube or something and all your weight would transfer straight down to the outriggers. it'd be sweet.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set of large drop leg trailer jacks would work real nice.

You must be registered for see images attach

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding your pinion seal, first make sure the vent is clear. It is through the bolt that holds the brake lines to the rear axle.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
log truck is back! return of the log!:D

welcome back to the log truck show.in tonight's episode it's crane gone crazy! so go grab yourself a cold one,put your feet up and enjoy the show.

so as you may remember,i bought an auto crane for this truck to load up whole logs and it's been some handy in loading good saw logs,big chunks of wood or even just lifting large junk chunks/logs as a way to cleanup easier and quicker.
well when i bought it,the seller gave me a discount due to it not working correctly.well tonight after work and using the crane the last couple business days,i figured id finally take the time to see if i could resolve the issues with the crane.for a lot of the commands,you had to use two at a time or one wouldn't work alone.
for example,to extend the arm,you had to either lift or swing at the same time in order for the extend switch to work.so i grabbed the pendant and took it apart.......ahh there's the issue.a poorly done corroded ground connection where someone has been before,years ago and corrosion all along the way where each switch gets it's ground.EDIT: or power i didn't even test them lol! i just see what was obviously the issue.

attachment.php

attachment.php

so i removed all the bolts and eyelets.cleaned up the contacts and set the bolts in some coke to remove the rust.....but this is the log truck show! who wants to sit around and watch rust dissipate from metal? that's no good here,
so off to the hardware store to grab some new ones and keep this show on air lol!
attachment.php

attachment.php

so i fix up the poor connection and because the small connecting bars were corroded and broke as i removed them,i simply made loops to connect the row all the way down the line.easy peasey,lemon squeezey.

attachment.php

attachment.php

so lets go put this sucker back together and see if it works!
up,up and away she goes,swing side to side she goes,extend and retract she goes (the electric cable in/out did always work fine as single command) and it's round and round she goes,where she stops nobody knows!
nothing but clear sky's from now on!

attachment.php

attachment.php

now whats nice is,i keep this pendant inside my under body battery box where it stays high and dry and i coated the connections good with dialectic grease so i should never run into this issue again.
wala just like that i save myself some $$$ by fixing my pendant as apposed to buying a new one!:eek:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Crane-...nes-/270882071296?hash=item3f11d46300&vxp=mtr

so yeah,you should have seen this show already last season but you know how life goes sometimes.so much to do,so little time.plus it always worked and got me by but im glad i finally took the time to fix this because it will be even more enjoyable to use now.

for those who haven't seen the log truck show,here's your time to get out the pop corn popper,grab a cold one and start from the beginning.

see ya next time on the log truck show.until the next time,hope you enjoyed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding your pinion seal, first make sure the vent is clear. It is through the bolt that holds the brake lines to the rear axle.

i just had this fixed at the garage i just took it to for commercial safety inspection......where she passed with flying colors too i might add.;)

I like this channel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

right on brother.keep it right here on channel 444 where they'll soon be some more.;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just went thru the same thing with one of our Ramseys - lousy contacts in the connector between the pendant cable and the relays housing, plus some nasty corrosion inside said housing where the power lead for the pendant is hooked up to the relays main feed bar. Couldn't even touch the feed bar nuts without complete winch removal, to heck with that, pendant power is now connected directly to the stud for the main battery cable. Good opportunity to install a 2nd control cable and run it inside the cab permanently, plus new wiring connectors and like you did dielectric grease everywhere, should be good and trouble-free for many years to come.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
we interrupt your scheduled programming here on channel 444 for this important update......

this just in......it appears there was a large bull moose crossing the road towards the broadcast tower:
You must be registered for see images

apparently the large bull moose was angry and starting charging log trucks broadcast tower which has been keeping you all updated on the latest in the log truck show;
You must be registered for see images attach

i'm told the broadcast crew here on channel 444 are working diligently to restore your programming.we're sorry for the inconvenience and will keep you updated as further news on the situation comes in............please stand by...............:D

latest update;
we're getting word now that log trucks little brother (named chip truck) will be lending a helping hand to restoring the broadcast tower and may make a quest appearance in tonight's episode.:D

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight on the log truck show; it's special quest "chip truck"!

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online