1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight on the log truck show; it's special quest "chip truck"!

it's log truck's little brother to save the day! as tonight chip truck tracts down the moose and harness it's power under the hood,and restores power to the broadcast tower for channel 444!

so a special thanks to the Agne family and the rest of the team over at Conestoga Diesel Injection (home of the world famous "moose" line of injection pumps)
http://www.conestogadiesel.com/
they supplied me with a "bull moose" ip for chip trucks rapidly failing ip.great customer support and very pleasant to do business with.

tonight chip truck saves the day by taming the wild moose on the loose.:D
so for those who don't know,chip truck is my primary tree service truck for all round multi purpose use; wood chipping,hauling brush and wood,even delivering top soil at times for when i grind stumps to fill the holes.

shipped to my door comes the genuine,the one,the only,the famous bull moose! and very well packaged:
attachment.php

so like log trucks engine,the intercooled banks setup.
attachment.php

out with the old ip (this one here was a budget reman,done by IFS for the U-HAUL co.)
attachment.php

she's out and ready for the moose!
attachment.php

attachment.php

fresh fuel filter and it's time for a new TPS as well.hard to believe it's been 50k miles already;
attachment.php

there she is.the moose is going in;
attachment.php

new filter installed;
attachment.php

cleaned up the inspection cover,spread with ultra black rtv,bolted back in;
attachment.php

back together again;
attachment.php

i let my e-pump fill the filter,then cranked the starter for 20 full seconds and she came to life!
tomorrow i'll put the meter on the TPS to dial that in,then put the "ferret on the moose" to time it lol! then take her out for a spin and drive it like i stole it!:D

until tomorrow,once i dial it in,i'll see ya right here for the results and first impressions of the moose right here on channel 444! keep it right here for more!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    888.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
today on the log truck show it's special appearance; chip truck continued....

chip truck is now moosed!

so i set the idle to about 700rpm and then dialed in the new TPS:
attachment.php

attachment.php

then i set the engines timing to 8.0 BTDC using the ferret/timing light w/ advance.
attachment.php

yesterday i just lined up the marks and primed the system.checking the timing i saw timing about 3.5 BTDC.
while checking the timing @ 2k rpm she expelled all air.
once set to 8 BTDC i then took her out to see how the truck runs.
first impressions of the moose;
1.smoother idle than with the old ip!
2.i could set the timing! just like while timing log trucks still decent ip,i had a real nice and steady,easy to read timing event.with the old ip it was all over the place +/- 2 degrees! as Mel was telling me in another thread here,when the internal timing of the ip goes,the fuel economy takes a nose dive.just what was happening with my truck.
3.the test drive: smooooooth as silk baby! if i romp on it,she just boosts and goes like a perfect smoke free match for the truck.if i snap the skinny quick while in OD she'll let out a quick second puff of deep black but then quickly clear right up again.log truck does the same thing with it's healthy ip so no issues or complaints there.i couldn't make the EGT's do anything silly while running empty.i suppose a feller could with a manual trans in top gear but the the E4's TPS properly dialed in,she just smacks 3rd and boosts and goes clean.
seems to be a match made in heaven!......or in Pennsylvania anyway.:D

Thank you Conestoga Diesel Injection for making my daily worker run like a top again!;Sweet
http://www.conestogadiesel.com/

here specifically you can find the moose pump that will best suit your needs.don't be fooled by imitators with discounted prices.these are the real deal,high quality units!
http://www.conestogadiesel.com/products/ford.html

i know Mel says there,a turbo is required but personally i wouldn't run the bull without an intercooler either lol! you'd probably have to watch your EGT gauge more than the road.:D she puts out a bit too much juice for just a turbo i think.excellent with one though guys!

EDIT:
upon further review;
(or upon really putting my foot into it.whichever you prefer lmao!)

this thing really gained a lot more balls! you can really feel the torque pull up steep grades.clearly this truck has more ability to climb grades when towing more now.don't even need to be towing to know this.holy crap.impressive guys.im not talking just 5-10 lb more.im talking a big difference in the way the truck has pull.can't wait to load up!:D

we now return you to your scheduled programming; the log truck show.:D
log truck will return shortly.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    659.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Agree with all above. Even in OD, I can go from 2 to 12-14psi in no time and just sail up grades while towing. ABSOLUTELY need an intercooler with a BULL. Before my IC, I couldn't touch OD for all the smoke and high EGT

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the log truck show is back on channel 444!

unfortunately today it's due to repairs again rather than upgrades.but hey she's over 20 years young and pushing 200k miles.this is to be expected.

today i get the joyous occasion of pulling her transmission yet AGAIN!!!! hahaha.
i was working the truck,using her auto crane for a few jobs.while driving to the last job,she starting making a funny noise.......then it didn't become so funny anymore! she started to sound as if her engine bearings were gunna come all undone and throw a rod right out the side of the block!......good oil pressure and it looks like a reman engine (at least i can tell she's been out,resealed and painted black.) there's no way this old gal is giving up the ghost.so i got listening closer and closer trying to figure it out.eventually i came to the conclusion it had to be a broken flexplate due to the "grinding" that was going on with the "knocking" and then quite while under load (failing bearings ain't gunna do that,least not that i know of.) so i asked here in a devoted thread if i was on the right track for a failing flexplate and the helpful friends of oilburners confirmed my suspicions.
i hop online to order a new one for the 7.3l idi w/ E4OD trans and non turbo block.
(the turbo block ones are balanced differently.do not use one with the oem factory turbo block! tip: the aftermarket doesn't make them.your SOL! sourcing a used one is your only hope.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K7FJJG

well oh joy! i exclaimed from the roof tops! i get to pull this .... .... ..... .... trans yet a 6th time!!!!!!!!! hahaha

well at least i have this down to a science.so it doesn't take me too long.;)
and the good news is,her trans has been working great! (though i do get a ghost 62 code-i just clear it and run 'er.it's just the oem i'm milking for all she's worth before replacement.there is no noticeable issues with lockup or any slipping i can feel at all.about every 50-100 miles she comes back randomly and i just clear it and run 'er issue free.)

so i pull the inspection cover to take a peek.clearly i can see the crack in close by the crank:
attachment.php

iv always wanted to show a pic on how i make starter removal easy.the infamous difficult to get to 3rd starter bolt.notice how easy it is to get to using just the correct length of socket + extensions so when you put your ratchet on,it just clears the end of the starter.this way when you loosen,you can still remove the ratchet before it hits the frame.find the right combo and it's just as easy to remove as the other two bolts;
attachment.php

so i got the trans down and slid back and here is the issue in plain view:
attachment.php

remove the flexplate:
attachment.php

what are your guys thoughts on this? do i need to clean this up somehow?
attachment.php

attachment.php

amazon shows the flexplate will be here Tuesday.though i have 2 day free shipping w/ prime due to the holiday and weekend it set things back a bit but i don't need this truck right off again yet.in fact i think im done with her for the year now....perhaps one more job but not sure yet then she'll be parked for winter.

anyway,more to come shortly here on the log truck show when the flexplate comes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    815.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
The Wonderful One-Hoss Shay

Yikes! :eek: You're lucky you made it home.

It is hard to see from the pics how bad the crank flange is, but if it were mine, I'd probably take a file to it and take down the high spots.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that no one makes a heavy duty flex plate for the IDI. You are not the first one to have this problem.
I guess this is what happens when you beef up the engine and the transmission...you will find the next weakest link. :rolleyes: Otherwise, it would be like The Wonderful One-Hoss Shay. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiOHhhwnK6k

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the starter pull pic...I too know that combination well

As for crank I agree dress high spots deburr any bad nicks and hope for best.

What is big ORANGE tag?

Thanks for sharing

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that's what a broken flexplate looks like - YIKES! But your rear main seal is as dry and clean as can be - that is a positive! I am glad you were able to get the truck home considering how bad it was. I am with the others here - I would file/stone the hub down and get it as smooth/clean as possible and bolt it back together when the new plate comes in. Thanks for sharing the great pictures!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jut looked pics over again.

LEFT or drivers side core/freeze plug does not appear to have a nipple dimple as such likely a reman. You should be qble to feel a slight nipple outwards dead centre in dimple for stock plugs...aftermarket that I hqve seen do not have said nipples.

Cannot see right side plug...

Just wanted to add tidbit...feel for nipples in the dimples a d report back.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is big ORANGE tag?

it's a sticker with lots of writing on it.i haven't read it yet.
i always figured this was a reman engine.while tearing into the e4od i could tell that was original due to the pre-95 high volume pump (and ware on it lol.)
you don't often see a pre-updated (to '95 spec or higher) e4od outlive an idi.you've got to think someone wasn't paying attention to something rather than a premature engine failure,though stranger things have happened i suppose.

So that's what a broken flexplate looks like - YIKES!

yeah.iv never experienced this before myself.you think it looks bad,you should of heard it! lol holy crap.scary.extremely loud.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that no one makes a heavy duty flex plate for the IDI. You are not the first one to have this problem.

but how often do they fail though right? i mean the odds are the replacement will last another 20+ years.i know though,iv seen these pics before from time to time of others with idi engines.a heavier duty version probably wouldn't of been a bad idea.

funny how it failed.with all the heavy loads iv hauled with this thing,the thing fails running empty under light load at about 50-55mph.

Last edited:

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes you wonder about some harmonic issue of some sort? Just a WAG but something to think about.....

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess this is what happens when you beef up the engine and the transmission...you will find the next weakest link.

You make a pretty solid point. My old normally aspirated truck broke the center of the clutch disk out in pretty similar fashion to this flywheel failure. My truck powertrain was stock, but I did have 35" tall tires, which definitely makes for more load on things. I would agree that with an automatic trans, the flywheel would be the weakest link. Maybe somebody out there in the IDI aftermarket can fill this needed hole for a tougher flywheel.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thanks for showing. What do you think did that? Stinks a $65.00 part causes that much work.

You have a tranny jack to pull that e40d?

Thanks, Jeremy

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thanks for showing. What do you think did that? Stinks a $65.00 part causes that much work.

You have a tranny jack to pull that e40d?

Thanks, Jeremy

i dunno.i just figure age makes them fatigued after a while.perhaps the high torque starters just wares 'em out after awhile?

you'd think id break down and buy a tranny jack wouldn't ya? nope.im a glutton for punishment.just use a block of wood and a floor jack.

Honestly I'm surprised no one has made one out of billet

they'd probably cost what they do for the billet ones made for the psd:
http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/productdetail.asp?p=3059003104

i'll go with the $65 every 20 years instead.:D

edit.oh interesting.check out the pdf.it can be used for the idi/4 stud converter setup.apparently they've got it balanced properly for either engine depending on how it's lined up.too much for my blood though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online