1990 f250 brighter headlight bulbs?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not many at all... Mayyyyybe 10 at max. That's why I say they seem to be doing fine thus far.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many thanks friend:cheers:

Alrighty, this is my setup. The headlights are IPCW CWS-530's, here is an Amazon link, and here is an Ebay link. I've had them for 3 years and they still look good, no clouding, cracking, or moisture (I sealed them up GOOD before putting them on though, just to give it the best chance I could)

The headlight relay kit is available on Amazon, here's the link. Probably the same kit LMC sells. Mine is currently disconnected because battery acid ate the terminals, I need to get off my lazy **** and fix that. I had no problems with it otherwise though, the relays themselves never gave me any problems. Even if they do act up though, each headlight has its own relay and it just takes a minute to pull the blue plug off the headlight and plug the OEM connector back in. It definitely made the lights brighter, but to me the added redundancy was really the best thing about it, I don't want to lose my lights on a back road at night and not have Plan B ready. My fog lights are wired independently of the other lights, so if I lose both relays AND my headlight switch, I have Plan C :D

The bulbs are Silverstar Ultra's, you can get them everywhere, Amazon is usually cheapest but shop around a bit. Supposedly these bulbs burn themselves out much quicker than other bulbs, but they put out some GOOD light. Mine are still alive but I don't do much night driving, so I can't give my two cents on their reliability yet. There are a lot of other options out there for DOT-legal over-powered bulbs though, when my Ultra's die I might try out another brand.

Now, for some extra credit, I have some before-and-after pictures from a few years ago. They're far from perfect because I didn't take the pictures in the same spot, but you'll get the general idea of what to expect and whether or not it's worth doing. When I reconnect my relay harness I'll get some before / after pictures to show what that alone does, you can get by without it but it is really nice to have. These pics show the difference between fully stock and fully upgraded (without resorting to LED's or HID's):

Stock low beams:
You must be registered for see images attach

Upgraded low beams (IPCW housings, relays, Silverstar Ultra's)

Stock high beams:

Upgraded high beams (IPCW housings, relays, ultra's):

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wpuld also recommended getting a headlight lens restore kit at an autoparts store. They are cheap and can really help. The draw of my LED bulbs are less than the stock sealed beams and didnt require and wiring changes.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes cleaning them is very importantly with a restore kit, I used 1500 grit wet sand paper with soapy water to remove major yellowing then finished with a bottle of the headlight one step lens cleaner stuff I don't remember the wording of what it is or the brand right now as I used the last of it and tossed the bottle

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online