New age headlights

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are using a good quality projector and this is cost of just the projector

This is a buget brand projector that work decent if you want to try modding some housing yourself. These are bi projector and need to make sure there horizontal line is set in low beam mode, they will open full for high beam. That will let you know the oriantation thay need to be attached.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are using a good quality projector and this is cost of just the projector

This is a buget brand projector that work decent if you want to try modding some housing yourself. These are bi projector and need to make sure there horizontal line is set in low beam mode, they will open full for high beam. That will let you know the oriantation thay need to be attached.

Good resources. You'd have to find a clear lens to mod our housings, no idea where that would come from. Nice to see it comes in 4300k. All the modern ultra-white/blue headlights are no good for me. They are especially poor in the rain(bad reflection) and it rains a lot here.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good resources. You'd have to find a clear lens to mod our housings, no idea where that would come from. Nice to see it comes in 4300k. All the modern ultra-white/blue headlights are no good for me. They are especially poor in the rain(bad reflection) and it rains a lot here.

This is a cheap set of head lights I see on ebay with a clear lense.

Im not sure on the quality of the lense and to how long before they turn yellow, so there is this uv clear to keep that from happening.

Edit: Found a better clear, its 2k over the dupli-color 1k.

Last edited:

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a cheap set of head lights I see on ebay with a clear lense.

Im not sure on the quality of the lense and to how long before they turn yellow, so there is this uv clear to keep that from happening.

Nice, so $150 for those and $170ish for the introductory level projectors = $320 plus tax and shipping for the DIY approach. Not too bad at all. As long as it works! ;Really

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are two I have found that look to have made decent projectors and these the ones that would fit yours

$500 plus shipping for decent lights isn't terrible, I guess. Good moose lights can easily run that much or more, and as I recall the Aussie option is going to run that much and you still have to buy lights.

How well do the HIDs last? All winter long I'd be using them twice a day for about 1/2 hour, lots of switching between hi and low beam, and making 200 mile round trips to town every few weeks, all at -20F to -40F. Looks like the Morimotos use a little shutter to switch from hi to low? I guess after a couple minutes run time the shutter won't be cold any more.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
HID bulbs have a fairly long lifespan to them. I had to replace one bulb in my old vw after 2 years of daily driving.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$500 plus shipping for decent lights isn't terrible, I guess. Good moose lights can easily run that much or more, and as I recall the Aussie option is going to run that much and you still have to buy lights.

How well do the HIDs last? All winter long I'd be using them twice a day for about 1/2 hour, lots of switching between hi and low beam, and making 200 mile round trips to town every few weeks, all at -20F to -40F. Looks like the Morimotos use a little shutter to switch from hi to low? I guess after a couple minutes run time the shutter won't be cold any more

This video shows performance and operation, of both the morimotos mini and acme projector. Yes they use a shutter for the high beams.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I found some spider for the bmw I have in the juck yard, the low beam was somewhat usable but the high beam was junk. So can say the h7 bulbs lasted the year I used them, never used the h1 bulbs for any length of time but should last the same. The low beam was a projector with a fixed shutter and high beam was in a open reflector. The high beam would shine everwhere in front and not anywhere at a distance. Think the reason is for not having a cup over the bulb to aim the the light into the reflector or a focal lense in the cover, looking at how factory lights are setup. That headlight set @Nero posted from lmc, would probably perform just as bad with the high beams amd why I would recommend a bi projector over it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I finally found some old pictures of the headlights I used to have, in the first photo you can see the sharp cutoff I was referring to. This was a motorized shutter for high beam.
Second photo you can see the little angle rise in the middle, that's by design to not blind oncoming traffic. Looking for something similar, or both. But so far looks like I may have to make my own. Man my fab skills suck.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted the Retrofit outfit, asked about mounting those projectors behind some lexan in a repurposed headlight assembly. I was thinking that might cause reflections, reduce light output, maybe diffuse it. Their reply:
I don't see that being an issue but i would recommend ceramic coating it on top to help with uv protection or using a laminx protective film as well.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well do the HIDs last? All winter long I'd be using them twice a day for about 1/2 hour, lots of switching between hi and low beam, and making 200 mile round trips to town every few weeks, all at -20F to -40F. Looks like the Morimotos use a little shutter to switch from hi to low? I guess after a couple minutes run time the shutter won't be cold any more.
I have OEM HIDs in my Volvo s40, we got it almost 30,000 miles ago. I swapped the bulbs out after reading that HID bulbs dim over time, but the new bulbs(which were in the upper-mid range quality) were only a tad brighter than the ones I took out. And I drive with all my lights on 100% of the time. So the used ones went 15k plus whatever the guy before me had them in for and barely lost any juice. New ones same story, about 12k going strong using them 100% of the time.
They heat up pretty quick.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hid projectors or led projectors are the way to go.
They will flat blow out anything else clear out of the water.

Yes you have to pay to play.
STAY AWAY FROM OUTLAWLEDS . COM THEY ARE KNOWN SCAMMERS

Beyond that tony Rojo/baja retrofits does a lot of obs hid retrofits and they are roughly the same price as you can buy the parts for.
For my grandparents set he was $515 shipped to my door ready to install. My cost on the parts would have been $505 using the same quality parts

I have morimoto mini h1 7.0 35w hid projectors in 5000k
Doing hid projectors you end up doing a headlight relay kit. (Which for me didn't do squat for stock lights with better bulbs)

I also have diode dynamics ss3 sport fogs on a switch and ss3 sport driving beams (dedicated high) tied into my high beams

The beauty of hid projectors are as. Follows
They produce heat so they will melt snow/ice off the lense,
They come in a variety of color temperatures that the user can choose for your driving style
The hid projector focuses the light to give a very wide beam pattern and beautiful full light pattern all the way to the cutoff line
The cutoff allows you to have full road and ditch coverage of light without blinding oncoming traffic
High beam is from a shutter that lifts to allow full power of the beam to go down road
Amazing low and high beams
They produce incredible useable light
Road signs and road paint becomes highlighted

Cons
They take about 15-30 seconds to fully warm up when first started(but so do our trucks)
Bulbs and ballasts should be changed as a set and are more expensive
You won't shut up about having them talking to all your friends
The cutoff on low beam can look like you are flashing someone in front of you as described above.
You will despise getting in vehicles with stock headlights because they don't compare

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the duplicate pics
On road pics are low beam btw in a 2nd gen dodge but same hid projectors as my truck has

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online