Need brighter reverse lights....

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings....'02 F-350 7.3...any suggestions on replacing reverse light bulbs with brighter LED?...when plowing snow at night, my OEM bulbs are woefully inadequate, especially during a snowstorm...(my ever-failing eyesight may have something to do with it, too) LOL ....

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, greenskeeper....why the auxiliary lighting as opposed to a simple bulb change out?

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LEDs are cheap, if they are not enough light then add some auxiliary lights
You must be registered for see images attach

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a direct answer (and hey, what's up power strokers) but on my IDI I just installed a backup cam with a toggle switch, opposed to wiring it into the reverse circuit. The truck has a pretty dark window tint anyway so doubt brighter reverse lights would work much for me at night.

Ah, but you're looking for better snow vis. I'd think a light bar with a toggle switch would be good for these purposes.

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a light bar yesterday....it came down to lumens...the reverse bulbs only had about 1200 lumens each, whereas the light bar is advertised at 30,000 lumens....we'll see....

Last edited:

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freind of mine who does snow plowing as a side gig made up a set of bright reverse lights with magnetic base. They simply plug into his trailer hitch wiring plug. When not plowing they're easily removed and stored behind the seat.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LEDs are cheap, if they are not enough light then add some auxiliary lights
You must be registered for see images attach
I was at NAPA yesterday and they wanted $75 for a pair of LED back up bulbs. The only thing he was missing was the mask and a gun. Amazon wins again.

MadMac

Reaction score
Thanks, greenskeeper....why the auxiliary lighting as opposed to a simple bulb change out?
IMHO - those reverse lights are for other people as much as they are for you. It is not in your interest to blind people driving other 3 ton vehicles at night... Same principle for night driving with light bars. That and you can apply a LOT more light. As painful as it is to run a wire a switched line back to the rear bumper - that is what I'd do. I might actually think about this as a front+rear thing... And as others have mentioned - I'd use a light bar either between the tailgate and bumper - or under it. Even better if you're using a shell for weight to the top of that... If you have a constructors rack - mount high and point down... Post some photos of what you end up with!

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
Upload the pictures if you decide to install some aux lights. Been wanting to add some to mine, but havent yet, would love to see some ideas.

84mudder

Reaction score
Diesel Led's work great and is all that you should need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86