19 psi and 1000 degree EGT

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sense upgrading the turbo till you get an IC.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I don't know the limits of the IDI....yet.

But if it were me, I would be watching how much air and fuel I put into an engine like the IDI. I would just hate to see you having to drive that PSD LOL. I am not telling you how to drive your truck, and I am not going to start an argument, because it is afterall your truck and you should be able to do with it what you want to.

I am curious as to what your water temperature is while running WOT under high boost. My truck running N/A with the pump adjusted a two or so flats, will get warm if I REALLY hammer onto it. Hell, on a long hill I start to get a little warm due to the clutch fan being a bit on the bad side.

After the ZF swap gets done, I am going to be hounding Mel about his electric fan mod. He says it is the cats meow and I take his word on it. Might as well do a big alternator swap too!

Mine runs 185-190 balls to wall giving it everything its got

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Mine runs 185-190 balls to wall giving it everything its got

I wish my truck cooled like that! 190 isn't bad at all. I was gonna ask what the EGT's were, but the title of the thread said only 1000 degrees lol.

I can't wait to get a pyro stuck in my rig to see what it is doing while towing....not that I can tow now anyways...I need to rewire the trailer wires down the frame with all new stuff.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? if its an efficeint turbo that will make 25 psi effeciently then it shouldnt need an intercooler as bad

Better do some reading up on compressed air temps. Corky Bell has a great turbo book.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Why? if its an efficeint turbo that will make 25 psi effeciently then it shouldnt need an intercooler as bad

pressure makes heat, regardless of efficiency. if you plan on intercooling and getting a "better turbo" I Would wait till after the cooler install and then size the turbo accordingly.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I wish my truck cooled like that! 190 isn't bad at all. I was gonna ask what the EGT's were, but the title of the thread said only 1000 degrees lol.

I can't wait to get a pyro stuck in my rig to see what it is doing while towing....not that I can tow now anyways...I need to rewire the trailer wires down the frame with all new stuff.

Mine is all stock, origanal radiator has a 185 thermostat in it

Black dawg

Reaction score
unloaded my temp gauge wont even wiggle, but loaded and at 900 on the pyro or better, it starts climbing.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
pressure makes heat, regardless of efficiency. if you plan on intercooling and getting a "better turbo" I Would wait till after the cooler install and then size the turbo accordingly.

Correct. Boost numbers mean absolutly nothing when it comes to power, but cool air does

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I have actually worry about mine not getting hot enough. The highest I have ever seen was about 190 and that was pulling 4 wet round bales loaded onto a 5 bale hauler trailer. I have pulled a little heavier but I was beating the truck on that run. Now that it is cooling off a little I cant keep the truck above 150-160 to save my life unloaded. I actually have a huge piece of cardboard covering up about a quarter of the radiator with those temps.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Dyoung.. The standard thermostat is starting to open at 192 degrees and fully open at 212 degrees. Did you install an aftermarket thermostat or did you modify the oem thermostat like I did...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Dyoung.. The standard thermostat is starting to open at 192 degrees and fully open at 212 degrees. Did you install an aftermarket thermostat or did you modify the oem thermostat like I did...

Its the thermostat that the PO put in it, says 185 on it,

How did you modifly the OEM thermostat im curious?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle