19 psi and 1000 degree EGT

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I read awhile back that one guy broke his wrist pins at 20. Don't know all the details but Mel is who said it. Maybe he'll chime in.[/QUOTE

So far mine has held 3 trips to 20 psiLOL, and remeber my 20psi isnt at a low rpm somwere around3500 or so i would guess my tach dont work no more, but i know im flying when i hit that boost

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I am curious what yo do for a living that you can afford in intentionaly try to blowup your engine?

Honestly if i was using my head i wouldnt do it because when it does blow i will have to borrow my dads truck till i rebuild it which will take time because i will have to save money

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I read awhile back that one guy broke his wrist pins at 20. Don't know all the details but Mel is who said it. Maybe he'll chime in.[/QUOTE

So far mine has held 3 trips to 20 psiLOL, and remeber my 20psi isnt at a low rpm somwere around3500 or so i would guess my tach dont work no more, but i know im flying when i hit that boost
When your done with that motor IH should rebuild it as a testiment of how they use to build stuff.:D

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I read awhile back that one guy broke his wrist pins at 20. Don't know all the details but Mel is who said it. Maybe he'll chime in.

That must be some hard luck on that break. Dave Sponaugle on FTE and a few other guys have lowered their compression (milled pistons) and ran in the 25+ range without breaking anything. :dunno

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Hey Dave, if you get chance, can you give us 2 or 3 0-60 times? I want a baseline that we can all mesure up to rather easily. I love the fearless attitude, despite my inability to do the same.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Hey Dave, if you get chance, can you give us 2 or 3 0-60 times? I want a baseline that we can all mesure up to rather easily. I love the fearless attitude, despite my inability to do the same.

Me right? yea if i can remember tomarrow i will do it but i will have to hunt for my gps

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Wonder how much boost you could build with a moose pump and moose misters? :D. On The other hand I have a nitrous kit I'd sell you real cheap just to see what kinda boost it would get to!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That must be some hard luck on that break. Dave Sponaugle on FTE and a few other guys have lowered their compression (milled pistons) and ran in the 25+ range without breaking anything. :dunno

Thats in the back of my head through out all this too. I seem to remember him saying that all the extra boost might not be contributing a proportional increase in power but that it does help control high EGTs. I have no reason not to believe him but it is interesting to see that some one else was finally able to repeat some of his results.

I need to start looking for a wastegated turbo and put my 60-1 compressor on it with a water cooled center housing. All it take is time that I no longer have:rolleyes:

Black dawg

Reaction score
the thing that sucks is everybody is going to assume high boost caused the engine failure if it does fail. seems I remember something about real low oil pressure. I have a hard time believing that the extra boost is creating any more cyl pressure than the 5 or so psi extra above what is needed to clear up the exhuast. if there isnt enough fuel to use up all the available air, does that extra air add any cyl pressure? this is ignoring comp. eff. and drive pressure. now back to the beer.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To answer the internal compression pressure... Yes... Boost increases this pressure and it does this lots. I read this somewhere but can't really recall exactly what it was but.... I think it said that for each 5 lbs of boost increase the pressure in the cylinders in increased by 1000 lbs.... I don't have any proof of this nor do I recall where I read this. Can any mathamaticions calulate this running pressure.... I wonder what the internal pressure is on a top fuel drag motor running 8000 hp and all that boost and type of fuel.... If our turbo can boost to 275 hp at 12 lbs then what is the top fuel motor doing... I do understand the flow thru our heads and the top fuel heads are way differant plus... They are not idi heads. I understand they run a spark plug but its only effective about 300 ft down the track. Then they burn off and the motor lites off by a glow plug effect....

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I know its apples vs. oranges but... I have seen the inside of the 6.2/5's and the insides of an IDI and if the GM will take the abuse then I know the IDI will handle it better lol :D I can't find the article but I also read somewhere that Heath chose to stay with 22:1 compression due to the inefficiency of the Stanadyne pump. Anyway interesting read if nothing else.

http://heathdiesel.com/RaceTruck08/

http://www.maxxtorque.com/dieselcommunity/winter-2010/heath-diesel-lsr-2010

"The 6265 racer runs a higher-than-stock static compression ratio at 22.5:1. In addition, we force feed it with 31 PSI boost. This equates to fairly significant peak cylinder pressures and a great deal of both momentary / dynamic loading on the rotating assembly and its main-bearing support system"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online