19 psi and 1000 degree EGT

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
..... I remember reading on the DPS performance website (before it had the plug pulled and they moved to facebook) where they put their hopped up IDI to those conditions. IIRC they kept it going for about 80,000 miles while pushing 19-22 PSI. It was still running when they tore it down, but it had ALOT of blowby. Upon inspection, at least half the pistons had significant wear. I mean wear to the point where it severely rounded the edges off the piston tops themselves. :eek:

Here is the link to those piston photos: CLICK HERE and HERE FOR A CLOSE UP.:eek:

Heath

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Here is the link to those piston photos: CLICK HERE and HERE FOR A CLOSE UP.:eek:

Heath

Thank you Heath! That is exactly what I was talking about. How did you get their site to load up? I keep getting a "server unavailable" kind of thing when I tried to access their home page. :dunno

EDIT: Nevermind...it works now. For some reason I couldn't get it to load last night. Oh well, good find!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Heath! That is exactly what I was talking about. How did you get their site to load up? I keep getting a "this website no longer exists" kind of thing when I tried to access their home page. :dunno

EDIT: Nevermind...it works now. For some reason I couldn't get it to load last night. Oh well, good find!

:dunno Not sure, but it worked for me. Maybe Ken didn't pay the server for a while and they killed the site until they got paid.:dunno

Heath

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ok, I can appreciate you pushing trucks until they die a miserable death.... thats fine.
When I was younger I killed a few engines and broke a few transmissions. That 9000rpm drop of the clutch might have been the problem.... we'll never know since we can't actually find it or the flywheel....

Just please do me a favor Mr Young. When a new guy comes here and asks how far he can push things like timing, boost, egts, rpms, etc.... please do not speak with the authority of "I been doing it forever" (which roughly translates to, I've had this truck for 4 months and it's still running!) It's annoying, misleading, and well ****, it's just a bad idea, ok?

That is all I ask.
Thank you very much,
Drew

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
ok, I can appreciate you pushing trucks until they die a miserable death.... thats fine.
When I was younger I killed a few engines and broke a few transmissions. That 9000rpm drop of the clutch might have been the problem.... we'll never know since we can't actually find it or the flywheel....

Just please do me a favor Mr Young. When a new guy comes here and asks how far he can push things like timing, boost, egts, rpms, etc.... please do not speak with the authority of "I been doing it forever" (which roughly translates to, I've had this truck for 4 months and it's still running!) It's annoying, misleading, and well ****, it's just a bad idea, ok?

That is all I ask.

Thank you very much,
Drew

Well said

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EGT part is really good, but the RPM are way too high, and those levels of boost have not been proven safe by the collective. Of course Mr. Young is providing a very useful service for the community and himself shouldhe ever have the intent and funds to build a real pulling engine. I think he usually clarifies that he knows he's pushing his luck, but hopefully the newbies understand he's the exception to what we consider safe here, usually a mundane 10-12 psiG and 1000-1100 egt pre turbo. This experiment would be more interesting if the engine wasn't already so beat.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I usually dont reckomend people doing the same, if i could do it over i would have the rpm set lower, i would still push boost tho, but there is no since in turning the rpm down now its done been gone too long so im not going to turn it down, i was hoping to make a run up and down the mountian today but i didnt get to, so i will tomarrow after me and my girl friend go watch the new harry potter movie thats comming out, i hope to hit or pass 25 psi:sly

wonder when the re-used valley pan will give out?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
If your wrist pins hold 25 I'll crap a brick!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I read awhile back that one guy broke his wrist pins at 20. Don't know all the details but Mel is who said it. Maybe he'll chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online