19 psi and 1000 degree EGT

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and on a day when the pavement was wet I actually broke them loose and the back end started dog tracking and left a double patch of black marks.

Any given wet road the back end will come around on command, and thats an auto crewcab dually. Intentionally scary and fun all the same time. People don't know what to think.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I really think a bigger turbine housing would go at least as far as upgrading the compressor. they spool soo fast that giving up some spool time wouldnt hurt.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I really think a bigger turbine housing would go at least as far as upgrading the compressor. they spool soo fast that giving up some spool time wouldnt hurt.

how do you figure? these turbo's are only good to about 12psi. The compressor housing/wheel I'm putting in will make it good to about 35psi, I'll be running 24ish. Why would I sacrifice spool time? When I punch it, I want that boost gauge to slam all of the way over, right away.

I want more boost, faster, and cooler. Luckily the ATS turbo's are hybrids so you can upgrade the compressor side, which is the limiting factor of this unit. With a real compressor side, I think I'm going to unlock a whole new beast in my 6.9. Hell, I hope I can even turn up my pump some more.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
The only reason I'm so skeptical/worried is because I've just never seen or heard of anyone running anywhere near the boost you are with the crazy low EGTs.
Definitely get some vids. I'd love to see this thing run!

You definitely need to do some more reading! A couple guys with modified rigs on FTE have been in the mid 20's for boost with stock turbochargers for a couple of years now. Most notable would be Dave Sponaugle.

Interesting enough, these turbos on other applications can handle up to the 30psi range. That is why I shook my head when the community over here tried to claim that these turbos were being pushed out of their efficiency range past 10psi or so.

It is even more apparent now that the results are being repeated. One similarity between these results that I believe was overlooked were the lowered compressions. Although Dyoung14 has not milled his pistons, he does run an early 83' engine IIRC that had slightly lower compression.

Just my two cents.

Black dawg

Reaction score
how do you figure? these turbo's are only good to about 12psi. The compressor housing/wheel I'm putting in will make it good to about 35psi, I'll be running 24ish. Why would I sacrifice spool time? When I punch it, I want that boost gauge to slam all of the way over, right away.

I want more boost, faster, and cooler. Luckily the ATS turbo's are hybrids so you can upgrade the compressor side, which is the limiting factor of this unit. With a real compressor side, I think I'm going to unlock a whole new beast in my 6.9. Hell, I hope I can even turn up my pump some more.

sorry, wasnt really talking about your setup, just thinking out loud. also where does this 12 psi come from?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Dave,
Yea I guess I'm out of the loop a bit. And yes, the early 83 engine (the model A engine) has lower compression. The engine in my brown truck is a model A engine. Lowering the compression in my climate would kill me for driving it in the winter, I'd never get it started.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
somebody needs to post a compressor map and plot some points on it.

Evan, 82F100SWB on here, has already done this... maybe he will see this and chime in. I know he posted all of the maps awhile back. Pretty sure if you search, you will find them.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Evan, 82F100SWB on here, has already done this... maybe he will see this and chime in. I know he posted all of the maps awhile back. Pretty sure if you search, you will find them.

ok ill do some lookin.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I cant remember who it was that told me, but someone on here told me that with my setup, running 12-14psi was doing VERY good with the large intercooler and piping that I have. Which is true, when you equate the large intercooler and large piping and everything associated with it, I designed my setup to be a low boost pressure, high efficiency system. Everything I did with my setup was made to give the most HP possible for every CFM of compressed air that was flowing into the cylinders. My air charge is very cold going into the intake and that makes for a better A/F charge in the cylinder.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
WOT I can tap 16-18 around 2200-2400 in 4th, EGT's will creep up to around 1000-1100.

I have already purchased the parts to upgrade my turbo, just waiting for a chance, as I'm about to go wheeling and need it to tow.

Compressor housing for T04Z, 84mm-63 trim wheel, COMPRESSOR HSG .70 A/R, T04S style with 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet

The inducer measure 66.7MM, and the major 84MM.

this setup will actually be big enough to feed my 6.9 unlike the current ATS turbo. I will be using this new turbo paired with my 02 7.3 SD intercooler. I will be running the wastegate set at 22-24psi.

Here is the data I plotted onto the same map. Keep in mind this is rough numbers, not exact. Although I am sure its within means .Data:

You must be registered for see images attach

And the plot itself:

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc....9&airflow6=58.1&airflow7=67.4&product_id=164

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Figured out how to do a screen shot, opens up a lot of stuff. If you want to see the full image, click the thing on top of the picture.

Now as far as adapting that housing/wheel onto the center section is concerned, I have no idea.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Also, looking at the 60-1 wheel combo, its actually not a bad mild upgrade. Looks like its still efficient at 18.5psi at 3500rpms (800cfm).

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I know my engine needs more fuel, i run out of smoke anything over 10psi, but it still keeps boosting after that,

Another turbo upgrade would be a hybrid, T3/T04E 60 trim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online