Trans Oil Cooler? and Location

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Ok I really need to install a transmission oil cooler. I just got back from a trip to ND and my tranny seemed to be running hotter than normal. (I have no gauge but I usually feel the trans hump in the cab and it was REALLY hot to the touch and normally its just warm....redneck and not scientific)

Anyhow, what I need to know is what am I looking for in terms of type and where to locate the cooler(s). I also want to put in a trans temp gauge but I am not sure where to put it the would be easy. (parts and suggestions wanted)

Any suggestions on what you are running and how its setup would be helpful. I dont really want to do this myself but if you know how to do this simply and easily just let me know.

I have no experince with oil coolers so please be patient. Any knowledge would be great!

Thad

pafixitman

Reaction score
you do not mention it, but i assume you have and E4OD.

Get the tranny pan for a 5.4l, 4X4 SD (I forget the model number, i think it is my sig). Has a drain plug and holds qrt and half more fluid. Mount the gauge on the test port on the driver's side. Look for the biggest plate style cooler you can buy. I have both of mine behind the grill. I do plan to move them down by the frame rails and use two small pusher style fans.

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
I just put a new E40D, two trans coolers,a spin on filter, and a pod mounted gauge in my truck two weeks ago...I'll post pics and explanations soon.

sootman73

Reaction score
i used a AC condenser from an ambulance as a trans cooler. after killing two E4ODs cuz of heat i was tired of cooling issues. its about 2.5ft X 2ftft X 5/8in in size. temps haven't gotten over 170 degrees even in 90 degree weather and in the hills of kentucky.

go get a temperature gauge from O'reilly/murrays. mine cost $17.00 with all the pieces and screw out the service port about two/three inches in front of the shifter linkage. screw the sender in and hook up the wires. and your done!

tranny temps are nothing to mess around with! do not ignore them. you will be sorry.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am looking at this one:

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2&Product_Code=OC-1405&Category_Code=hayden-cooler&Product_Count=4

I am not sure if this would be enough.

Also, should I not use the port on the side of the transmission to get a temp reading?

If I do put one in the out flow port of the transmission I assume that I be covered in fluid? Or by some miracle does it not leak everywhere?

Just curious since my dipstick seems covered in fluid not matter what.....

Thad

gandalf

Reaction score
Okay Thad,

About four years ago, give or take, I replaced the transmission pan (E4OD), and added a transmission heat sensor and gauge, and a transmission cooler. As I understand it this is what you want to do. I'd suggest that, as part of the process, you change the fluid in the transmission. It's easy enough to do. I'll send instructions if you want.

Since I have the photo location copied, I'll paste that in first. You can see the new, deeper, pan, and the heat sensor.

You must be registered for see images attach

I bought the cooler from Dieselsite, a major advertiser here on this site. They couldn't have been more helpful. I'll deal with them again in a heartbeat. The cooler I bought is significantly more efficient and effective than the tube and fin model you're looking at. It's also more expensive, but not nearly as expensive as a new transmission.

TruCool Max Transmission Cooler

Almost forgot part numbers for the deeper pan. I'll simply cut and paste an old posting from Birken Vogt.

If you should want the deep oil pan for your E4OD with the drain plug and the reusable gasket, here is the part number for the kit, includes pan, gasket and bolts necessary to do the conversion:

F7TZ-7A194-DA

The pan itself, for the later E4ODs, is a

F81Z-7A194-BA

I had a hard time finding these numbers so I thought I would post it.

Birken

If you drop the pan be sure also to replace the filter. Also, if you drop the pan you'll understand the need for a drainplug. The original pan on my truck did not have a drainplug.

That should about do it. Nothing here is particularly difficult. It's just time consuming.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I think thats the route I want to go!!! Are you still using the lower portion of the radiator or did you bypass that altogether?

I think that I will go with the trans cooler that you posted.

I also cut two 4x8 holes in the front portion of the bumper. I was thinking about mounting my cooler behind the opening. I have looked at some newer trucks that have them mounted in similiar locations.

What do you think?

And thanks again!!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By dakotajeep
Just curious since my dipstick seems covered in fluid not matter what.....

If that is the case, how are you checking the fluid level?

Proper way is to check it when HOT with engine running and in neutral or park.

Never run with the fluid over the full mark. That is a sure way to make them run HOT and trash a tranny. The rotating parts in an overfull tranny will cause aireation of the fluid, damn tough to pump air, there not an air compressor.

The oil that is circulated thru the cooler returns for lubrication for the tyranny, not for any hydraulic use pertaining to clutches. Air is a lousy lubricant.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think thats the route I want to go!!! Are you still using the lower portion of the radiator or did you bypass that altogether?

My temps were horrible before I did what you are about to do. I couldn't go off the highway while towing without hitting ridiculous numbers. :puke: The lower portion of the oem rad was not connected when I started just the 1 little ole cooler on the front of the condenser. I put the bottom portion of the rad back in line and added a second cooler on the condenser like the one you have a link to. I also added and would stronly suggest you do this to...for the money you can't go wrong and like Travis says a clean cool fluid is a happy fluid. Anyway here is a link to a perma-cool tranny filter and head. The deluxe version has a tranny temp gauge I think. My temps are awesome now even while towing...I have never seen temps over 185 and that was on a 90 degree day in a traffic jam!! Very nice!!

http://www.jegs.com/i/Perma-Cool/771/10678/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Perma-Cool/771/10677/10002/-1

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
If that is the case, how are you checking the fluid level?

When I had my transmission rebuilt the guy mentioned something about having to adjust the dipstick tube due to the routing of the up-pipe and downpipe for the turbo. I am not sure if that is causing an issue but....

With that being said I checked it today and it was in the full range. (even though I am very slowly seeping fluid through the connection into the radiator....darn leaks)

I got the trucool cooler on order. It should be here on the 13th. In the meantime I am trying to figure out everything I can prior to the install.

Thanks
Thad

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
started with a pile of goodies...

and way too much money in one part...:puke:

then started putting it all on in an attempt to never EVER:mad: have to spend this much again at one time....

crap Autozone Haden cooler and Summit G4969 $83.95 30 GVW cooler

]

I ran metal lines because I HATE rubber. Summit G2538 $18.95 3/8" x 20'

threw on a spin on filter for good measure Summit G4980 $31.95

added a pillar pod Summit 15301 $21.25 and a Electric Gauge and sender unit Summit 5757 $48.88

hope this might guide you in the right direction. I have yet to see a temp over 165. I am on the freeway and stop and go traffic ALL day in Columbus.

OHH, AND A TIP ON DRAINING TRANS FLUID...JACK YOU TRUCK UP ENOUGH TO GET A CUT DOWN 18 GALLON TOTE UNDER THE WHOLE PAN. I did it this way to capture all my new fluid for reuse when I had to switch out the bad solenoid pack that was in my NEW transmission. And just so everyone know...I strained the HECK outta it before putting it back in.

Attachments

• coolers mounted.jpg
    coolers mounted.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 32
  • undercoolers.jpg
    undercoolers.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 22
  • metal lines.jpg
    metal lines.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score

I think that I will go with the trans cooler that you posted.

I also cut two 4x8 holes in the front portion of the bumper. I was thinking about mounting my cooler behind the opening. I have looked at some newer trucks that have them mounted in similiar locations.

What do you think?

And thanks again!!!

We'll help you spend all the money you have, and some you don't have yet.

I'm running both coolers, the one in the bottom of the radiator and the extra. My routing goes from the transmission to the radiator to the TruCool cooler, back to the transmission. I also have the inline thermal thingie to bypass both coolers until the transmission fluid is warm enough. I'm really not sure I need that living here in the Bay area where winter temps rarely get below 30°F.

I replaced the front bumper with a later model which has the cutouts. They are in front of the lower portion of the radiator, so must help in cooling. I placed the TruCool cooler up higher, though, behind the main opening in the grill. There's no sense heating the air with the cooler just before it goes through the bottom of the radiator with the stock transmission cooler. It would seem kind of self-defeating. I'd rather have it effect the regular coolant, which can take more abuse.

If/when you change your transmission fluid, be sure to get whats in the torque converter too. Otherwise you're leaving a lot of the old stuff in there. Also, good time to change the transmission filter.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
The fluid was changed about 6-7k ago so it shouldnt be bad but I think I will change it anyhow.

Thanks
Thad

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Last summer, on my previous truck, I installed 2 oil coolers under the truck. My thinking was that there would be plenty of airflow next to the tranny and the coolers would be protected by the frame rails. Turns out that there is not much airflow under there. The hoses that I used vulcanized themselves to the cooler--That is HOT.
If you do elect an under-truck location, make sure you add fans to insure sufficient airflow.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I intend to put them in direct airflow since I dont care to have auxillary fans mounted to them and an additional headache.

Also, does anyone know what size hose is used to connect the transmission lines? I want to replace ALL rubber hoses that are used for transmission fluid.

Thad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online